• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

partially drew last night

carry for myself

so i went down to OOB with a friend, check out the night life. was CC due to the massive crowds , was OC before but covered when i got out of the car.

anyway was walking down east grand. headed towards away from the square infront of the galaxy. there was a banger type sitting on a bench, looking very ansy, tapping feet, looking back and forth with both hands in his pockets.

right as i got to him he got up very quickly and started following a very old french couple that was walking infront of me very closely. we kept heading away from the square *on the way back to the car* and he stayed about 2ft behind the couple. kept eying her purse. his back pocket. all while looking in a 360, and slowing down when bike cops rode by.

he started shuffling around in his right pocket. hand opening and closing over and over. i stepped partially to the right to get a better view of what was in his hand, and saw the butt of what looked like a wood handled .38.

slowly reached my right hand under my shirt to my glock 23. pressed the release on my serpa and slowly started to draw just as he was pulling his hand and a firearm out of his pocket.............the .38 was a very convincing cigarette lighter which he then used to light a smoke before turning down a side street.

2 things......PEOPLE SHOULD NOT USE LIGHTERS THAT LOOK LIKE GUNS!:banghead:

and second if it werent for the illumination coming out of a store, i probably would have drawn or fired .........so i feel lucky for both of us.

just figured i would share.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Sounds quite possible that he got ansty enough not to try to use the cigarette lighter as a way of making people think they were the victims of an armed robbery.
Were you close enough that perhaps you were in his zone of awareness?

Last edited:

Dogbait

and second if it werent for the illumination coming out of a store, i probably would have drawn or fired

You were willing to draw and possibly fire without positively identifying a threat?

I understand being "at-the-ready" but going beyond that is irresponsible in this sort of situation, IMO.

from my PC36100

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
It's tough to actually know without being there was you saw and felt. However, I have always been taught that if you are going to draw it is because you are ready to shoot. The only reason to draw is if you or someone else is in imminent danger of serious harm or death, not sure it got that far in this case.

Maine CWP Training

From your description the older couple violated rule numbah one.

Be aware of your surroundings and from your description the cat would not have gotten any closer than 21'.

carry for myself

You were willing to draw and possibly fire without positively identifying a threat?

I understand being "at-the-ready" but going beyond that is irresponsible in this sort of situation, IMO.

from my PC36100

i was not willing to fire anything without positively identifying a threat. i saw a threat. i was willing to draw "TO CONCEALMENT"....meaning draw and keep the weapon at ready.....to fire........if the threat presented real danger. some people may take the stance of "not my danger, not my problem" but i cannot and refuse to live with seeing innocent people harmed 3 feet from me.

i was at the ready. and i never fully drew. if i fully drew. he would be dead. but i identified a threat , cleared the threat and went on my way. nothing irresponsible in that

and maine CCW. they wouldnt have noticed anything funky if you paid them too. pretty sure they were both hard on hearing and just too into the "sights and sounds" to notice much of anything. on a side note kreepy guy let his guard down because i was not moe than 6 feet behind him the whole time watching him like a hawk. he noticed every single cop he saw. but not me lol

Last edited: