• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Freeloaders

EricDailey X-NRA

Private Property owners of businesses who do not post signs that armed customers are welcome or that they respect the RKBA may be getting a free ride on all the folks that deter crimes by being armed. We know crime in NC is down, we know there are more armed citizens. Maybe folks with guns are protecting those who don't support the Second Amendment.

I propose a law that requires all places post if they allow or ban guns.

I think it would soon be hard to find a business still open that posted a no gun sign.

here is a sign
http://www.gunlaws.com/2ndunty.htm

see thread
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?90943-Door-Sign-Firearms-Welcome-Here

Dreamer

I think it would soon be hard to find a business still open that posted a no gun sign.

Which is I suppose why there are HUNDREDS of sign companies making "gun ban" signs by the hundreds of thousands and selling them all over the nation, but finding a commercially-produced "we allow lawful carry" signs is nearly impossible.

There are like, what 2 companies in the US making "pro gun" signs for commercial use, and they cost something like 3-4 times what the average "gun ban" sign does.

If such a law were passed, I think you'd be VERY surprised just how many businesses would post gun ban signs, given the choice between pro and con...

condeist

I am against the gov't requiring businesses to do just about anything as a general rule. The business owner should be able to choose what signs it posts and doesnt post in its window.

I also agree with Dreamer. A lot of business haven't considered one way or the other to post a pro or anti gun sign. If forced to choose, MANY would choose to ban guns for no other reason than perceived liability risks if they posted a sign welcoming guns.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I am against the gov't requiring businesses to do just about anything as a general rule. The business owner should be able to choose what signs it posts and doesnt post in its window.

I also agree with Dreamer. A lot of business haven't considered one way or the other to post a pro or anti gun sign. If forced to choose, MANY would choose to ban guns for no other reason than perceived liability risks if they posted a sign welcoming guns.

^^^^ This

Hef

Private Property owners of businesses who do not post signs that armed customers are welcome or that they respect the RKBA may be getting a free ride on all the folks that deter crimes by being armed. We know crime in NC is down, we know there are more armed citizens. Maybe folks with guns are protecting those who don't support the Second Amendment.

I propose a law that requires all places post if they allow or ban guns.

here is a sign
http://www.gunlaws.com/2ndunty.htm

see thread
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?90943-Door-Sign-Firearms-Welcome-Here

Let me guess - you don't own a business and never have.

papa bear

actually this is something i have been thinking a lot on. like DREAMER, i think if a bus. is forced to decide they would post anti.
i do get frustrated with bus. that post. i believe most people are neutral, though ignorant about carry. they really think they are liable if something happened if someone wore a gun in they're place (what that would be i have no clue). and correct me if i am wrong, but i think NC is responsibility state (the person that caused the problem is the one responsible). but the Insurance companys are telling them they have to post. at least that is what the excuse most businesses give.

what i would like to see if there was some way to take the burden of liability away from the bus. that do not post. and/or put the liability on businesses for the safety of people if they do post. we just did something like this with the castle doctrine, made it harder to sue someone having to use they're firearm to protect themselves

Carry24/7

actually this is something i have been thinking a lot on. like DREAMER, i think if a bus. is forced to decide they would post anti.
i do get frustrated with bus. that post. i believe most people are neutral, though ignorant about carry. they really think they are liable if something happened if someone wore a gun in they're place (what that would be i have no clue). and correct me if i am wrong, but i think NC is responsibility state (the person that caused the problem is the one responsible). but the Insurance companys are telling them they have to post. at least that is what the excuse most businesses give.

what i would like to see if there was some way to take the burden of liability away from the bus. that do not post. and/or put the liability on businesses for the safety of people if they do post. we just did something like this with the castle doctrine, made it harder to sue someone having to use they're firearm to protect themselves

From my understanding in NC if you are 0.001% responsible for your injuries you can't sue. Like if I come to your house and slip on ice I can't sue you because I should know I can slip on ice and should take caution to protect myself. I could see it going both ways for businesses. Getting sued by someone who is shot. If they allow someone to carry and they shoot someone then of course they will try and put it on them. But also if they post and I get shot can I sue because they took away my right to protect myself? I try and stay away from these places anyway though.

CharlieOneFourDelta

Serve or don't?

I think the idea is overboard but I would like them to be required to post whenther or not they serve booze. The reason is, once I walk in and sit down and then notice they serve wine, it's too late. I've already broken the law if I have my LPC in my pocket. As a general rule, I usually don't call ahead or send in an unarmed scout first at places I've never eaten before.