• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to Virginia on Vacation!

SP101

Campaign Veteran
Once again, I will be visiting the state of Virginia in August. Specifically, the Williamsburg area, with trips planned to the beach(Virginia Beach) and probably Chesapeake to visit my cousin.

I have a valid LTCF from Pennsylvania and also a CWP from Utah. Is there anything I need to be made aware of concerning my carry, both open and concealed, that would be different than what I am accustomed to here in Pa?

SP101

Campaign Veteran
From that I gather that it is no longer a requirement to OC in a place that serves alchohol? This has changed since my last visit, I believe.

Are there any OC dinners or gatherings happening between August 5th through the 12th in the Hampton Roads area?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
That is correct, you can CC or OC in places that serve alcohol, provided they don't have a sign.

CC in places that serve alcohol for on-premises consumption = no drinking. OC does not prohibit drinking - although just about everybody says it is not polite, not a good way to behave, does not show OCers in a good light, is not smart, and a few other thoughts generally saying don't do it.

Remember that your permits do not get you out of the no carry in school GFZs prohibition. But since nobody seems to be able to find anybody who has been charged wth carrying in the GFZ you might put worrying that you will probably be breaking that law a mite low on your list of things to obcess about. No, I am not telling you to break the law. I'm just saying breaking that law might be less of a worry than, say, breaking the law about overtime parking.

stay safe.

ocholsteroc

CC in places that serve alcohol for on-premises consumption = no drinking. OC does not prohibit drinking - although just about everybody says it is not polite, not a good way to behave, does not show OCers in a good light, is not smart, and a few other thoughts generally saying don't do it.

What if one gun is open and the other is CC still applys or does the 1 gun prove your armed? I never could find anything on this, I would think it's still no drinking. I do not even want to drink OCing its bad, but just for the sake of argument.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If I follow you, due to the fact that one of your handguns is carried concealed you would be under the rules for concealed carry.

sray safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Once again, I will be visiting the state of Virginia in August. Specifically, the Williamsburg area, with trips planned to the beach(Virginia Beach) and probably Chesapeake to visit my cousin.

I have a valid LTCF from Pennsylvania and also a CWP from Utah. Is there anything I need to be made aware of concerning my carry, both open and concealed, that would be different than what I am accustomed to here in Pa?

You're from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and you refer to Virginia as a "state"?

Williamsburg area, eh? Be sure to read the threads (stickies above) regarding Skidmark's adventures at the Scotland-Jamestown Ferry.

paramedic70002

Yeah we are a Commonwealth but are one of the "50 states" so I don't get too worked up about that.

What's that museum in NN that recently got a set and grudgingly admitted they were gun friendly? Virginia Military Museum or something like that?

Also dig back a few years and see that Colonial Williamsburg can be quite an experience (+) when you OC.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Yeah we are a Commonwealth but are one of the "50 states" so I don't get too worked up about that. Question: How many Virginians does it take to change a lightbulb? Answer: All we know for sure is they will stand around forever talking about how good the old one was, how their ancestors that beat those phoney-baloney Pilgrims to the New Land by decades had to do without lightbulbs, and how wonderful it was without lightbulbs until those Yamn Dankees forced them to use them.

What's that museum in NN that recently got a set and grudgingly admitted they were gun friendly? Virginia Military Museum or something like that? http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?87893-Mariners-Museum-in-Newport-News , as you darned well know, you sneaky person, you!

Also dig back a few years and see that Colonial Williamsburg can be quite an experience (+) when you OC.

Member Ed has a wonderful write-up of his visit to Colonial Williamsburg and his encounter with two of King George III's (jackbooted) troops. Well worth searching for it.

BTW - if you get time, come to Richmond. They have the world's largest collection of Second Place trophies - well worth the drive down Monument Ave. to view. ducks and scurries for cover

stay safe.

Last edited:

SP101

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for all the tips, guys. Yeah I just assumed Virginia was a state. When I'm asked what state I'm from, I guess I have to say I'm not from any state because it's a commonwealth.

I have no intention of drinking alcohol while OC'ing, so that won't be a problem.

Is it taboo to OC around Williamsburg, specifically the strip where all the restaurants and fast food places are? I was OC in Taco-Bell and a Williamsburg PD Lt. looked right at me and my weapon and only gave me the guy nod and smiled, last time I was down.

I'll try to look up the encounter you spoke of.

nova

What if one gun is open and the other is CC still applys or does the 1 gun prove your armed? I never could find anything on this, I would think it's still no drinking. I do not even want to drink OCing its bad, but just for the sake of argument.

If you are carrying a concealed handgun (any number of them) then consuming alcohol is prohibited. Just as if you were carrying a concealed handgun in your pocket, and open carrying another on your hip, you'd need a CHP to cover the one that is concealed. :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
\
Stating that a CHP is required to conceal a handgun isn't exactly an obscure or contested statement.

No, its not. But,

1) the forum rule about cites is not limited to obscure or contested statements. And,

2) some of the statements about the law in this thread were beyond the everybody-knows-already in your example.