• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Second amendment rights, self-defense, and minors in Florida

cactus186

Evening, fellow FL Open Carry supporters, I have a couple questions pertaining to the self defense rights of minors in the state of Florida. As a high-school student working in a relatively unsafe area for a summer job, I'm concerned for my own safety while walking the streets. I've been doing some research into Florida's statutes on the possession of tasers while under the age of 18.

I'll start off the list of my findings with the legal definition of a "person" in the state of Florida. According to florida law, the word “person” includes individuals, children, firms, associations, joint adventures, partnerships, estates, trusts, business trusts, syndicates, fiduciaries, corporations, and all other groups or combinations.

So if you are under the age of eighteen, you are categorized as a person in the state of florida, fully protected by any and all constitutional rights.. within reason. I wouldn't want to see a bunch of teenagers running around with handguns personally.

There is one statute that mainly deals with the issue of firearms and minors, and that statute is 790.22. According to that statute, "the use for any purpose whatsoever of BB guns, air or gas-operated guns, or electric weapons or devices, by any minor under the age of 16 years is prohibited unless such use is under the supervision and in the presence of an adult who is acting with the consent of the minor’s parent."

This provision basically states that if you're under the age of 16, you are prohibited from carrying electric weapons or devices, no matter the purpose you are carrying it for. This is the part where it gets confusing. I'm sixteen, and I'm looking to openly carry a taser, but I'm not COMPLETELY sure whether or not I'm allowed to because of the vagueness of this statute. Onto the last statute, the one that states what you are legally allowed to open carry, and what you aren't.

(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device.
(2) A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense:
(a) A self-defense chemical spray.
(b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.

This statute clearly differentiates an "electric weapon or device" from a "nonlethal stungun, dart-firing stungun, or other nonlethal electric weapon or device." This differentiation alone is in direct conflict with statute 790.22, which prohibits the underage possession of electric devices. Furthermore, the open carry statute I posted states that a "person" may openly carry a dart-firing stun gun for the purpose of self defense. As discussed earlier, in Florida, a person is defined as an individual or a child. Subsection two of the statute reinforces the idea that any person is legally allowed to openly carry a taser for self defense.

To conclude my ramblings, I want to ask for help and advice on this matter. I'm not a lawyer, I'm not a police officer, I'm not a legislator, and I'm not all that well-versed in law. I'm just a teenager trying to make sense of the complex, draconian laws imposed on my second amendment rights. I'm trying to figure out whether or not I am legally allowed to exercise the right to protect my persons by openly carrying a taser in public. I'm aspiring to be a politician, and I'd hate to get arrested on charges of underage firearms possession. I would appreciate any help that anybody is able to provide.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
You have discovered one of many contradictions in Florida Law. The boundless reaches of our Legislators' stupidity is the only quality they possess that can be described as impressive.

"It's illegal, but it's not illegal. Well, maybe if that guy does it. Briefly." - Florida Statutes Section Infinity

Wish I could be more helpful, but I've looked through it too, and have arrived at the same conclusions. There is no answer. It's self-defeating circular spaghetti logic...

Last edited:

cactus186

After extensively reading the law and failing to find any wording that bars minors over the age of 16 from carrying tasers, I've come to the conclusion that now that I'm 17, I should be legible to carry one.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
After extensively reading the law and failing to find any wording that bars minors over the age of 16 from carrying tasers, I've come to the conclusion that now that I'm 17, I should be legible to carry one.

We got a lawyer on the forums 'round those parts. Might wanna get his card... ;-)