Thread: Out of State CCW

Out of State CCW

Just to clarify, you will be able to carry in WI if you have an out of State CCW from let say FL. Is that correct?

Well since the DOJ haven't released any lists or real details yet, nobody knows. But This List should recognize the WI permit, so theoretically WI will honors theirs.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Not if you are a WI resident. You must have a WI license.
    Last edited by ksks; 07-10-2011 at 12:22 AM.

Just to confirm what ksks said...

If you're a WI resident with a FL permit, you can send a photocopy of the FL permit with your application as confirmation of training...but WI *WILL NOT* recognize an out of state permit from a WI resident.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    Well since the DOJ haven't released any lists or real details yet, nobody knows. But This List should recognize the WI permit, so theoretically WI will honors theirs.
    I think we can cross NM off of that list; they have a more stringent training requirement than Wisconsin. In fact, NM took Utah off their reciprocity list for the same reason.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Quote Originally Posted by Teej View Post
    Just to confirm what ksks said...

If you're a WI resident with a FL permit, you can send a photocopy of the FL permit with your application as confirmation of training...but WI *WILL NOT* recognize an out of state permit from a WI resident.
    Correct.

It will be interesting to see what happens with MN as MN has a training requirement that includes a live fire qualification shoot. Wi will likely recognize a MN permit, but it will be interesting to see if MN honors a WI permit.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Isn't It Interesting?

That an OOSL will satisfy WI's training requirement even if training was not required to get the OOSL in the first place.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apjonas View Post
    That an OOSL will satisfy WI's training requirement even if training was not required to get the OOSL in the first place.
    Exactly, shows how much of a joke the requirement is.

Lightbulb I Believe There Is A Bit More To That One Dave....

Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    I think we can cross NM off of that list; they have a more stringent training requirement than Wisconsin. In fact, NM took Utah off their reciprocity list for the same reason.
    IIRC NM stated what you said but in reality NM was losing revenue from it's own residents because they were getting Utah permits. So.....they decided to not honor Utah permits which forced their residents and others who want to travel into NM to get NM permits.

Money matters...especially to governments....and more so to corrupt governments.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    IIRC NM stated what you said but in reality NM was losing revenue from it's own residents because they were getting Utah permits. So.....they decided to not honor Utah permits which forced their residents and others who want to travel into NM to get NM permits.

Money matters...especially to governments....and more so to corrupt governments.
    NM Training:
    10.8.2.15 FIREARMS TRAINING FOR APPLICANTS AND LICENSEES:
    A. Department approved firearms training course.
    (1) An applicant seeking a license shall satisfactorily complete an initial firearms training course
    approved by the department that includes at least 15 hours of classroom and firing range instruction on the subjects specified in Subsection A of NMSA 1978 Section 29-19-7 ....
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

You can freely travel through NM with a gun in your glovebox and you can freely open carry here.You dont need a permit unless you cc outside your car. And as far as I know NM doesnt issue to non residents. Yes NM was losing money because of the cost of the utah being much cheaper.And yes they cancelled it due to lack of requirements.Its still being offered here just to add another range of states for coverage.Just not recognized here.Most of the cc people I know have both. As for the mocking of the 15 hours of classtime, My feeling is if your serious enough to be legal and carry right, Then your serious enough to invest in the responsiblity. Again theres really no need because we are an open carry state and theres just a couple of laws difference between cc and oc. Its just a matter of prefrence.

The issue between MN and WI will be interesting. Hopefully the two DoJ's can iron it out. Mn has a requirement for range time. WI does not, but most CC courses include range time as part of the curriculum. Also, those that will use their Hunter's safety certificate as proof of training also had to undergo range time in order to be granted the certificate. Finally any persons using Military small arms qualification for proof of training had extensive range time. It will be interesting to see which wins out; specifics of the laws or reality.

NM honors FL CHL's and you don't need range training, just have to have an NRA certified course requirement.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    --Thomas Jefferson

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by Para1911 View Post
    Just to clarify, you will be able to carry in WI if you have an out of State CCW from let say FL. Is that correct?
    i dont know, but if you get to carry in this state before the residents do, no one will like you.http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/im...ons/icon11.png
    Red face
    Last edited by McX; 07-19-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: dont know how to use them emicon whatevers

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    i dont know, but if you get to carry in this state before the residents do, no one will like you.
    I expect that WI will honor one or more of my permits, so I will lay low until WI residents have had an ample opportunity to get their permits. I do not want McX to "not like me".
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.