• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

another dead friend, another "I thought it wasn't loaded"

MKEgal

Absolute idiots, both of them.
The shooter is sunk, because he admitted to police he'd had safety training & knew to treat all guns as loaded,
admitted he'd had alcohol that night (though no BAC is listed in the article),
then admitted pointing the pistol he thought was unloaded at his friend & pulling the trigger. Twice.
Says they'd done it to each other before, too.

The shooting happened after Velure tried convincing Kurer to go uptown with him. When Kurer was reluctant to go, Velure told his friend he would pull the trigger if he didn't go out with him. In response, according to the criminal complaint, Kurer said "something to the effect of, go ahead."

"Assuming the weapon was empty, (Velure) then pointed the handgun at Kurer," according to the complaint. He pulled the trigger, and nothing happened.

Velure pulled the trigger again, this time firing a shotgun round into Kurer's chest. Velure then began applying first aid.

BTW, the gun wasn't his, it belonged to the dead guy, so apparently he was unfamiliar with it.
Idiot.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Brilliant!! He pulled the trigger once and nothing happened, so why not pull it twice. Some people simply should not own firearms.

Mlutz

Rule 3...
Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy.
Clearly, he was willing to destroy his friend... Sad...

Dreamer

Darwinism in action.

One dead idiot, and one idiot will hopefully spend a LONG time in prison.

Everything worked out fine, IMO...

HandyHamlet

That's why you never buy a seven round wheel gun.

:banghead:

He told police there were three shotgun and three handgun rounds in it, which he removed before pointing the gun at Kurer.

Last edited:

NeverAgain

Another idiot here

I admit it I was an idiot even though I always never carry a round in the chamber. While going to clean my XD 45 ACP the one part of releasing the slide you have to pull the trigger which I don't like even more now I didn't double check my pistol and had my hand in front to catch the slide I ended up catching more the other night
My hand I shot 1.jpg

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I admit it I was an idiot even though I always never carry a round in the chamber. While going to clean my XD 45 ACP the one part of releasing the slide you have to pull the trigger which I don't like even more now I didn't double check my pistol and had my hand in front to catch the slide I ended up catching more the other night
View attachment 6329

That looks extremely painful. Hope you learned your lesson. Check and double-check your firearms to make sure they are unloaded. That is the first step of every set cleaning instructions in every gun manual I have read.

Last edited:

paramedic70002

Genuine curiosity:

Why do you put your hand in front of the slide to catch it? I've had several semiautos and never was this an issue, or the slide falling off if not caught during forward motion. Many news reports of NDs involve the hand and I've always wondered why it was there.

NeverAgain

It hurt pretty good but it's real sore now. I am going through therapy every other day just to keep infection out.
I don't really put my hand in front of it I meant I had it close to take it all the way off. I always grab it on top and I guess that was a good thing because it put my hand at an angle making it miss a lot more damage. But it was my fault I will be triple checking it from now on. I try to be as careful as I can I don't even walk around with a round in the chamber.

mobeewan

A coworker of mine used to know a couple of Newport News sherrifs deputies that shared an appartment. they used to used to goof around and jump out of somewhere and pointguns at each other and pull the trigger. One was sitting on the john when the other burst through the door and yelled bang and pulled the trigger. As a natural reaction the deputy on the john raised hand in front of his face with his palm towards the gun. He got shot in the hand instead of the face. He told me and some other coworkers about it when it happened around 1990.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
A coworker of mine used to know a couple of Newport News sherrifs deputies that shared an appartment and used to play the same game. One was sitting on the john when the other burst through the door and yelled bang and pulled the trigger. As a natural reaction the deputy on the john raised hand in front of his face with his palm towards the gun. He got shot in the hand instead of the face. He told me and some other coworkers about it when it happened around 1990.

That is by far the most stupid game I have ever heard. I don't even know what else to say about it.

NeverAgain

Neveragain, will your firearm not be cleared after you drop the magazine and rack the slide?

Yeah it will but I never keep a round in the chamber trying to call myself being safe (which I found out the hard way instead of double checking) but when I slid the slide back to push the release lever up it chambered one, still thinking it didn't have the magazine in, then to unlock it the rest of the way you have to pull the trigger for the slide to come off, it came off allright. I keep my hand above the end to catch it so it doesn't just jump off the end. When it shot it came up just enough to catch my palm and hitting my hand just enough away from my little finger and had a lucky enough angle it missed bone and anything else that would have been worse.
It was my fault from now on I am triple checking first. But after 19 days of therapy it's healing pretty good so far. I am using my mistake to share with a LEO in Baton Rouge, that's a friend of my uncle, by taking pictures of the healing to use in his safety classes he teaches. He's in the army overseas right now but we will have it ready for when he gets home. I figured my stupidity would help a few people think more when handling firearms.

SickPythons

Incidents like these are bad news for us responsible gun owners. I have printed the article out and will read it to my next Basic Pistol students at the start of class.

On a side note:
Neveragain, thank you for having the balls to share your story in this crowd. I heard that, when the Glock was first introduced to LEO's on a wide scale, they were shooting themselves along their forearms during takedown procedures. You got off easy on this one... never again.

MKEgal

SickPythons said:
Neveragain, thank you for having the balls to share your story in this crowd.
+1
It's hard to admit you're wrong,
harder to admit you've done something stupid, esp. in front of people who know that.

I always drop the magazine, lock the slide back, & both look & feel to be sure the chamber is clear.

Yeah, some people say not to put a finger in there, in case the slide unlocks, but I figure that's less likely, less painful, & less dangerous than there being a round in the chamber when I pull the trigger to take the slide off.
(I love my Glocks, but they do require one to pay attention.)