• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Amazing Encounters!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Our plans for yesterday's festivities rapidly evaporated (along with my coolant) when a radiator hose burst and released said coolant into the environment. Needless to say, my car rapidly overheated.

Instead of going down to Colorado Springs for the day, we waited for the car to cool enough to put in some H20 and drive it to the shop for repair. We'd left the wife's car with them earlier in the morning for an oil change and... oh, the irony... replacement of one of her radiator hoses.

When we got to the garage, her car wasn't quite done yet so there was a delay transferring stuff from my car to her car. The usual stuff... Gun bag (replete with guns), targets, life support systems, MXT Pro metal detector, munchies, etc, etc. By the time the smoke cleared (or steam as the case actually was) it was pushing 1:00pm. We decided our trip to the Springs was not likely to be worthwhile considering the late start. So we headed over to the range.

After reducing the weight of our gun bag by the simple expedient of eliminating a couple of boxes of ammo while at the range, we left after we ran out of bullets. As we were approaching the car, I saw a man walking to his truck just ahead of us. Observing his general appearance, I asked him "Are you an LEO?" He asked what that was and I explained it. "No," he replied. "I am a security officer." His appearance led me to an almost accurate guess. Not too many people carry their weapon on a Sam Browne belt. In any event, we had a really amazing discussion of firearms and our liberty to wear them on our persons. (I.E. Open Carry!!!!) "I thank God I live in Colorado!" we both agreed, almost in unison.

Then I drove to King Soopers because I was out of soda pop at home. They have armed security guys working there, and I know them by sight, and they know me. When I strode through the door, almost immediately, a security officer fell in right behind me, nearly on my heels. Since I've learned to keep my head on a swivel when open carrying, I looked back over my shoulder. This was a guy I'd never seen before. "How ya doing?" he asked in a friendly manner when I glanced back. "Peachy neat!" I replied as I kept walking. "Good man!" he said and cut off in a different direction from mine when I turned at an intersection.

Having successfully secured a source of soda, I headed for checkout. I prefer a real live, actual flesh and blood human being to wait on me. Even it if takes a little more time, I'll opt for a human every time. So I was standing in a short line at express checkout where I was confident I didn't have more than 15 items in my possession. That security cop showed up in the self serve checkout line just to my right. Then he said something that rocked my world! "I'm delighted to see a citizen exercising his 2nd Amendment rights!" Really? Do I need my hearing checked again? "Yes," I replied. "I carry my pistol wherever I go every day!" Next thing I know, we're discussing our individual pistols. I learned his is a S&W99 and I told him about my Ruger P94 .40 ensconced in my holster as we chatted.

During the remaineder of my visit to the store, he made an effort to swing by every couple of minutes. Perhaps he was keeping an eye on me through "Detatched Contact", but he said on another swing past me "Use 'em or Lose 'em!" Referring to our Constitutional rights. "Amen, brother" I replied sincerely. As I was leaving he was again near enough to say "Keep standing for Liberty!" or words to that effect.

I walked out of the store thinking what a terrific encounter. If only all LEOs would conduct their behavior in the way this man did, what a wonderful world this would be. He didn't challenge my right to carry, but voiced support. Even if he was checking me out, he was doing so without violation of my rights. He demonstrated a terrific professional demeanor and behavior. I went home feeling delighted to have experienced this encounter and hope I see him there again one of these days.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Gunslinger

Armed guards at King's Super! WTF! Never heard of that, and certainly have never seen it. Where was it? A bad neighborhood? I don't think I've ever seen an armed guard since moving here--except Brinks trucks and the like. I'm really surprised.

M-Taliesin

Armed guards at King's Super! WTF! Never heard of that, and certainly have never seen it. Where was it? A bad neighborhood? I don't think I've ever seen an armed guard since moving here--except Brinks trucks and the like. I'm really surprised.

Howdy Gunslinger!
They have armed guards at a few King Soopers I've visited around town. This was at Colfax and Chambers. They also have armed security at the KS supermarket at Green Valley Ranch on 48th ave.

Similarly, Safeway at 48th and Chambers also has armed guards there. Meanwhile, the Safeway at Mexico and Buckley does not. Seems they have guards at stores in Denver neighborhoods, but none in Aurora that I've seen. Might be due to Denver's exemption to the state's preemption law. There won't be any armed citizens in Denver stores, so Denver stores gotta hire armed security.

Seems almost karmic, don't it.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

TheLittleMan

King soopers off of 84th and Pecos and 80th and Sheridan both have them. The guy at the Pecos location stays at the entrance.

since9

Campaign Veteran
If only all LEOs would conduct their behavior in the way this man did, what a wonderful world this would be. He didn't challenge my right to carry, but voiced support. Even if he was checking me out, he was doing so without violation of my rights. He demonstrated a terrific professional demeanor and behavior. I went home feeling delighted to have experienced this encounter and hope I see him there again one of these days.

So true on all accounts! This should be required reading at all police academies, how to "get 'er done."

M-Taliesin

So true on all accounts! This should be required reading at all police academies, how to "get 'er done."

Howdy Amigo!
I suspected, even though his lips were saying how much he supported my right to open carry, how he fell in stride
right behind me as I came through the door. He followed me a short distance before heading off in another direction
when we came to an intersection in the supermarket. He repeatedly came into my vicinity and chatted fairly merrily.

No infringement of my right to carry, no request for I.D. or obstruction of my rights. But at the same time, what if I
was a bad guy? What if I was a felon carrying a weapon illegally? He doesn't know one way or the other. But I knew
without a doubt I had his attention. He is armed, and seems to be very much aware of me. He did it in a friendly
manner, spoke about guns with me, and expressed support for my 2nd Amendment rights several times during that
encounter. I didn't have to insist on my rights, he made abundantly clear he was squarely behind them.

So without rendering offense to my rights, he might have checking me out and keeping an eye on me while I was in
the store. Instead of being confrontational, he was conversational. Rather than abusive of my rights, expressed support
for my rights.

I gotta admit, when he fell in step right behind me as I walked into the store, my spidey senses started tingling and I
thought "Okay, here it comes. A nasty encounter!" Instead, he disarmed me the very instant I looked over my shoulder
and saw him behind me. "Good man!" he said before going a different direction. I went about my business, confident
that a 2nd person likely had their eyes on me through the security camera system. But the bottom line is, many a cop
could learn something from this particular security officer. He did a fantastic job of maintaining both a safe and secure
environment while giving me due deference as an armed citizen.

Ya know... I think I'll drop by that store today and ask for the store manager and give that security guy a really effusive
commendation! Job well done!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Gunslinger

Howdy Gunslinger!
They have armed guards at a few King Soopers I've visited around town. This was at Colfax and Chambers. They also have armed security at the KS supermarket at Green Valley Ranch on 48th ave.

Similarly, Safeway at 48th and Chambers also has armed guards there. Meanwhile, the Safeway at Mexico and Buckley does not. Seems they have guards at stores in Denver neighborhoods, but none in Aurora that I've seen. Might be due to Denver's exemption to the state's preemption law. There won't be any armed citizens in Denver stores, so Denver stores gotta hire armed security.

Seems almost karmic, don't it.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I would bet there are more than a few carrying concealed. If I went to a store that felt they needed armed guards, I would be carrying.

M-Taliesin

I would bet there are more than a few carrying concealed. If I went to a store that felt they needed armed guards, I would be carrying.

Howdy Gunslinger!
Yeah, well... we are talking about the People's Republic of Denver! If you don't have a CCW permit, you can't carry in Denver.
They got exempted from Colorado's preemption statute. The infamous Meyers decision.
So, Denver does their own thing, unlike the entire rest of Colorado.
Yeah, you got 2nd Amendment rights... if you can pay for 'em!

So I tend to stay out of Denver.

On a corrective note, I should add that the store at Colfax and Chambers is actually in Aurora.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
They got exempted from Colorado's preemption statute. The infamous Meyers decision.

More to the point, they legislated a law exempting themselves, and someone (probably Meyers) filed suit against them. The vote stalemated in the Colorado State Supreme Court. If the justices had respected either the United States Constitution, "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed..." or the Colorado State Constitution, they wouldn't have deadlocked. They'd have blown Denver's Nazi disarmament tactic clean out of the water.

Unfortunately, too many people in the United States shirk their duty to elect intelligent, highly-qualified officials to office, and to give the boot to the idiots who undermine our freedoms, often for their own personal and/or financial gain.

It's good that you're staying out of Denver. The ONLY thing I do in Denver is fly into and out of DEN, and that's to save the extra $100 or so it costs for a connecting flight from the Springs. Buy something? Food? Gas? No way! I'll never support a regime that cannot bring itself to support the foundations upon which all our freedoms hinge. It's why I steer clear of Boulder, as well, although that's primarily to avoid harassment. All the same, neither get my dollars.

Gunslinger

More to the point, they legislated a law exempting themselves, and someone (probably Meyers) filed suit against them. The vote stalemated in the Colorado State Supreme Court. If the justices had respected either the United States Constitution, "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed..." or the Colorado State Constitution, they wouldn't have deadlocked. They'd have blown Denver's Nazi disarmament tactic clean out of the water.

Unfortunately, too many people in the United States shirk their duty to elect intelligent, highly-qualified officials to office, and to give the boot to the idiots who undermine our freedoms, often for their own personal and/or financial gain.

It's good that you're staying out of Denver. The ONLY thing I do in Denver is fly into and out of DEN, and that's to save the extra $100 or so it costs for a connecting flight from the Springs. Buy something? Food? Gas? No way! I'll never support a regime that cannot bring itself to support the foundations upon which all our freedoms hinge. It's why I steer clear of Boulder, as well, although that's primarily to avoid harassment. All the same, neither get my dollars.

Recently, flights to COS have been cheaper than to DIA. Hope the trend continues.

M-Taliesin

Recently, flights to COS have been cheaper than to DIA. Hope the trend continues.

Howdy Gunslinger!
I believe the trip from the Colorado Springs airport doesn't take much longer to reach Denver than the one from Denver International!
DIA is so far east, I'm surprised it doesn't qualify for a Kansas zip code!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Howdy Gunslinger!
I believe the trip from the Colorado Springs airport doesn't take much longer to reach Denver than the one from Denver International!
DIA is so far east, I'm surprised it doesn't qualify for a Kansas zip code!

BTW, sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up at the moving day festivities. Maybe next time around!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin