Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derek Colling...

Derek Colling...

Any updates on Officer Colling?

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_17920439

So far it looks like he has been suspended with pay pending an internal investigation for the beat down he gave a homeowner in his own drive way. Worthy of note, even though the homeowner originally told the idiot it was not his house, the homeowner has been cleared of all charges. The Eric Scott shooting was declared justified, and I can not find any updated stories to show if the family is suing or not.

So essentially, nothing bad has happened to this cop.

So the worse punishment other than being fired is an unpaid suspension of 40 hrs?...haha...thats hilarious...the PD and Colling are going to be sued up the wazoo.

Seems like there are a lot of aggressive police officers in Nevada. I just did some looking around with the colling case, and then the costco shooting, and it seems like there are a lot of aggressive police stories. They REALLY don't like to be filmed now do they.

crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by crash5150 View Post
    Seems like there are a lot of aggressive police officers in Nevada. I just did some looking around with the colling case, and then the costco shooting, and it seems like there are a lot of aggressive police stories. They REALLY don't like to be filmed now do they.

crazy.
    Don't forget about Trevon Cole.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Fired? 40 hours unpaid suspention? how about criminal charges and some prison time!?!?!?!?
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

^^^

How about felony assault, false arrest, behavior unbecoming an officer, kidnapping, and oppression.

Ooooh! I broke the one hundred post mark. Call me chatty cathy... heh.

Quote Originally Posted by nomidlname View Post
    ^^^

How about felony assault, false arrest, behavior unbecoming an officer, kidnapping, and oppression.
    Sounds like a LVMPD resume.

Crazy talk...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/ill-...video-emerges/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/caug...-police-chase/

Oh wait, it's everywhere. The political atmosphere that the general public has allowed to manifest WILL corrupt everything. Police and military are no exception.
    Last edited by MilitaryMike; 08-02-2011 at 05:30 AM.
    "I rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6."
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

remember what happened to the Fingermen in V for Vendetta? Eventually, these transgressions will no longer be "light and transient," and the people will have had enough.

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Sounds like a LVMPD resume.
    A SUCCESSFUL LVMPD resume.

Another pos Vegas cop, there's a surprise. This thug has no qualified immunity. I see a big settlement coming--with much of it out of his pocket. Scum like this belong in prison.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    ... I see a big settlement coming--with much of it out of his pocket.....
    Have the POS cops ever been successfully personally sued?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Another pos Vegas cop, there's a surprise. This thug has no qualified immunity. I see a big settlement coming--with much of it out of his pocket. Scum like this belong in prison.
    It is funny that you bring up qualified immunity, I just did a bunch of research on that subject for an up and coming Class action lawsuit, and here is the nutshell in case you care.

In nevada qualified immunity pertains only to discretionary items:

For instance an officer see's someone with a weapon asks some questions, and then lets them leave. If that person goes and shoots someone 5 mins. later, the Cop has qualified immunity.

This is important to know because you will hear cops all the time saying, "I have to do X or I will be responsible." This is total B.S.

Funny thing is they take their discretionary "powers" and warp them the other way with things like "its up to my discretion whether I pull you over or not"

That is not an example of qualified immunity, that is a violation of the 4th Amendment.

Sorry to jump the thread but I was impressed at how this goes hand in hand with some of our encounters. I still have the caselaw etc. if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    It is funny that you bring up qualified immunity, I just did a bunch of research on that subject for an up and coming Class action lawsuit, and here is the nutshell in case you care.

In nevada qualified immunity pertains only to discretionary items:

For instance an officer see's someone with a weapon asks some questions, and then lets them leave. If that person goes and shoots someone 5 mins. later, the Cop has qualified immunity.

This is important to know because you will hear cops all the time saying, "I have to do X or I will be responsible." This is total B.S.

Funny thing is they take their discretionary "powers" and warp them the other way with things like "its up to my discretion whether I pull you over or not"

That is not an example of qualified immunity, that is a violation of the 4th Amendment.

Sorry to jump the thread but I was impressed at how this goes hand in hand with some of our encounters. I still have the caselaw etc. if anyone is interested.
    Good post on NV, but I was referring specifically to Federal Courts. 18 USC 242 and 42 USC 1983.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Have the POS cops ever been successfully personally sued?
    Many times in Federal Court. Can't speak to NV state courts, however. Suit is filed jointly and severally.

Yes in Nevada as well,

I have a friend in law school who is compiling data from several hundred lawsuits that have been filed fought and won/settled against METRO. it is "overwhelming" I hear

Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    Yes in Nevada as well,

I have a friend in law school who is compiling data from several hundred lawsuits that have been filed fought and won/settled against METRO. it is "overwhelming" I hear
    I was curious about suing the individual police officer himself. Some have mentioned that, and I was wondering if that ever sticks.

I was curious about suing the individual police officer himself. Some have mentioned that, and I was wondering if that ever sticks.
    I believe so. Judge Black over in New Mexico ruled that the officers that pulled a guy out of a movie theater without RAS could be held accountable. I believe it was settled out of court. If you search it you can find that thread on here someplace though it was quite a while ago.

TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

It's easier to prevail in a lawsuit against an indivdual officer than a police department or city. To prevail against the dept/city you have to prove the officer acted according to official policy, custom, or practice of the dept/city.

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
    It's easier to prevail in a lawsuit against an indivdual officer than a police department or city. To prevail against the dept/city you have to prove the officer acted according to official policy, custom, or practice of the dept/city.
    . . .or that he acted under the orders or approval of his superiors, even if it is outside of the policy. The NOLA cops just got convicted on this one for the siege at the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    The NOLA cops just got convicted on this one for the siege at the bridge.

them: Knock knock!

me: Who's there?

them: It's the gub'ment, we're here to take your guns and ammo... it's for your own safety sir!

me: You can have my guns after you take my ammo, stand over there and I'll send them to you one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
    It helps your case if they are, or have prosecuted you as now you hace the City Attorney on board with the cop...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast