Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Derek Colling...

  1. #1
    Regular Member usamarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    252

    Derek Colling...

    Any updates on Officer Colling?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sparks, NV, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    471
    http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_17920439


    So far it looks like he has been suspended with pay pending an internal investigation for the beat down he gave a homeowner in his own drive way. Worthy of note, even though the homeowner originally told the idiot it was not his house, the homeowner has been cleared of all charges. The Eric Scott shooting was declared justified, and I can not find any updated stories to show if the family is suing or not.

    So essentially, nothing bad has happened to this cop.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    108

  4. #4
    Regular Member usamarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    252
    So the worse punishment other than being fired is an unpaid suspension of 40 hrs?...haha...thats hilarious...the PD and Colling are going to be sued up the wazoo.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    76
    Seems like there are a lot of aggressive police officers in Nevada. I just did some looking around with the colling case, and then the costco shooting, and it seems like there are a lot of aggressive police stories. They REALLY don't like to be filmed now do they.

    crazy.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Sabotage70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fabulous Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5150 View Post
    Seems like there are a lot of aggressive police officers in Nevada. I just did some looking around with the colling case, and then the costco shooting, and it seems like there are a lot of aggressive police stories. They REALLY don't like to be filmed now do they.

    crazy.
    Don't forget about Trevon Cole.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

    RED DRAGONS!!!!

  7. #7
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    Fired? 40 hours unpaid suspention? how about criminal charges and some prison time!?!?!?!?
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    108
    ^^^

    How about felony assault, false arrest, behavior unbecoming an officer, kidnapping, and oppression.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    108
    Ooooh! I broke the one hundred post mark. Call me chatty cathy... heh.

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by nomidlname View Post
    ^^^

    How about felony assault, false arrest, behavior unbecoming an officer, kidnapping, and oppression.
    Sounds like a LVMPD resume.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Creech AFB. NV
    Posts
    107
    Crazy talk...

    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/ill-...video-emerges/

    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/caug...-police-chase/

    Oh wait, it's everywhere. The political atmosphere that the general public has allowed to manifest WILL corrupt everything. Police and military are no exception.
    Last edited by MilitaryMike; 08-02-2011 at 05:30 AM.
    "I rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6."
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

  12. #12
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    remember what happened to the Fingermen in V for Vendetta? Eventually, these transgressions will no longer be "light and transient," and the people will have had enough.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Sounds like a LVMPD resume.
    A SUCCESSFUL LVMPD resume.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Another pos Vegas cop, there's a surprise. This thug has no qualified immunity. I see a big settlement coming--with much of it out of his pocket. Scum like this belong in prison.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    ... I see a big settlement coming--with much of it out of his pocket.....
    Have the POS cops ever been successfully personally sued?

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Another pos Vegas cop, there's a surprise. This thug has no qualified immunity. I see a big settlement coming--with much of it out of his pocket. Scum like this belong in prison.
    It is funny that you bring up qualified immunity, I just did a bunch of research on that subject for an up and coming Class action lawsuit, and here is the nutshell in case you care.

    In nevada qualified immunity pertains only to discretionary items:

    For instance an officer see's someone with a weapon asks some questions, and then lets them leave. If that person goes and shoots someone 5 mins. later, the Cop has qualified immunity.

    This is important to know because you will hear cops all the time saying, "I have to do X or I will be responsible." This is total B.S.

    Funny thing is they take their discretionary "powers" and warp them the other way with things like "its up to my discretion whether I pull you over or not"


    That is not an example of qualified immunity, that is a violation of the 4th Amendment.

    Sorry to jump the thread but I was impressed at how this goes hand in hand with some of our encounters. I still have the caselaw etc. if anyone is interested.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    It is funny that you bring up qualified immunity, I just did a bunch of research on that subject for an up and coming Class action lawsuit, and here is the nutshell in case you care.

    In nevada qualified immunity pertains only to discretionary items:

    For instance an officer see's someone with a weapon asks some questions, and then lets them leave. If that person goes and shoots someone 5 mins. later, the Cop has qualified immunity.

    This is important to know because you will hear cops all the time saying, "I have to do X or I will be responsible." This is total B.S.

    Funny thing is they take their discretionary "powers" and warp them the other way with things like "its up to my discretion whether I pull you over or not"


    That is not an example of qualified immunity, that is a violation of the 4th Amendment.

    Sorry to jump the thread but I was impressed at how this goes hand in hand with some of our encounters. I still have the caselaw etc. if anyone is interested.
    Good post on NV, but I was referring specifically to Federal Courts. 18 USC 242 and 42 USC 1983.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  18. #18
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Have the POS cops ever been successfully personally sued?
    Many times in Federal Court. Can't speak to NV state courts, however. Suit is filed jointly and severally.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,251
    Yes in Nevada as well,

    I have a friend in law school who is compiling data from several hundred lawsuits that have been filed fought and won/settled against METRO. it is "overwhelming" I hear

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    Yes in Nevada as well,

    I have a friend in law school who is compiling data from several hundred lawsuits that have been filed fought and won/settled against METRO. it is "overwhelming" I hear
    I was curious about suing the individual police officer himself. Some have mentioned that, and I was wondering if that ever sticks.

  21. #21
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I was curious about suing the individual police officer himself. Some have mentioned that, and I was wondering if that ever sticks.
    I believe so. Judge Black over in New Mexico ruled that the officers that pulled a guy out of a movie theater without RAS could be held accountable. I believe it was settled out of court. If you search it you can find that thread on here someplace though it was quite a while ago.

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern Nevada, ,
    Posts
    721
    It's easier to prevail in a lawsuit against an indivdual officer than a police department or city. To prevail against the dept/city you have to prove the officer acted according to official policy, custom, or practice of the dept/city.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
    It's easier to prevail in a lawsuit against an indivdual officer than a police department or city. To prevail against the dept/city you have to prove the officer acted according to official policy, custom, or practice of the dept/city.
    . . .or that he acted under the orders or approval of his superiors, even if it is outside of the policy. The NOLA cops just got convicted on this one for the siege at the bridge.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    The NOLA cops just got convicted on this one for the siege at the bridge.

    them: Knock knock!

    me: Who's there?

    them: It's the gub'ment, we're here to take your guns and ammo... it's for your own safety sir!

    me: You can have my guns after you take my ammo, stand over there and I'll send them to you one at a time.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
    It's easier to prevail in a lawsuit against an indivdual officer than a police department or city. To prevail against the dept/city you have to prove the officer acted according to official policy, custom, or practice of the dept/city.
    It helps your case if they are, or have prosecuted you as now you hace the City Attorney on board with the cop...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •