• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Derek Colling...

The Big Guy

I was curious about suing the individual police officer himself. Some have mentioned that, and I was wondering if that ever sticks.

I believe so. Judge Black over in New Mexico ruled that the officers that pulled a guy out of a movie theater without RAS could be held accountable. I believe it was settled out of court. If you search it you can find that thread on here someplace though it was quite a while ago.

TBG

Yard Sale

It's easier to prevail in a lawsuit against an indivdual officer than a police department or city. To prevail against the dept/city you have to prove the officer acted according to official policy, custom, or practice of the dept/city.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
It's easier to prevail in a lawsuit against an indivdual officer than a police department or city. To prevail against the dept/city you have to prove the officer acted according to official policy, custom, or practice of the dept/city.

. . .or that he acted under the orders or approval of his superiors, even if it is outside of the policy. The NOLA cops just got convicted on this one for the siege at the bridge.

Nevada carrier

The NOLA cops just got convicted on this one for the siege at the bridge.

them: Knock knock!

me: Who's there?

them: It's the gub'ment, we're here to take your guns and ammo... it's for your own safety sir!

me: You can have my guns after you take my ammo, stand over there and I'll send them to you one at a time.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

It helps your case if they are, or have prosecuted you as now you hace the City Attorney on board with the cop...

The Big Guy

He should have been fired a long time ago. He should be required to pay back wages collected and he should be brought up on criminal charges. Any other cops who were present and did not stop it should also be dismissed for dereliction of duty or being an accomplice.

Another example of what kind of a zoo our Sherriff runs. Too bad the County Board does not believe the buck stops at his desk.

TBG

Nevada carrier

Anyone E-mail the DA yet to find out when his arraignment will be? After all, we "the people" believe our representative prosecutor must bring charges on our behalf.

I wrote,

To whom it may concern,

I am writing this morning to ask what criminal charges have been filed against former Las Vegas Metro Police officer Derek Cooling, and when he will be arraigned for his assault, battery & false arrest of Las Vegas Citizen Mitchel Crooks. The Clark County District attorney represents me as well as the rest of the People. I, among many others, demand that he be held to account for these acts which have shaken our trust and faith in our sworn police officers to serve our community with our rights, dignity and best interests foremost in their mind. Please do not make the mistake of showing every police officer in Las Vegas that the worst that can happen to them when they commit these crimes is they lose their job and have to become a mall security guard. Derek Cooling must not get a free pass on this.

Last edited: