Thread: Government Motors’ brand new Chevy Volt already obsolete

Government Motors’ brand new Chevy Volt already obsolete

“Planned obsolescence” is a term applied to products designed to break easily or to quickly go out of style. GM has taken the concept to new highs (or lows.)

Green Autoblog reveals the Volt’s unplanned obsolesence:

CNN Money recently had the audacity to call the Volt’s technology “obsolete.”

CNN’s reasoning employs something called “math”: the Prius Plug-in goes 13 miles in electric mode, then swithces to hybird mode for 51 mpg highway and 48 mpg city. The Volt goes 35 miles in electric mode but on gas only 36 mpg highway and 32 mpg city. The raaaacists conclude:

On trips of 13 miles or less, the Prius plug-in and Volt deliver the same all-electric mpg: zero. On trips between 13 miles and 35 miles in length, the Volt beats the Prius. But after 35 miles, the Prius handily outscores the Volt.

Cost is the deciding factor:

…with a base price of $41,000, the Volt ain’t cheap. Pricing for the Prius Plug-In … is expected to start at approximately $28,000, meaning that it will likely undercut the Volt’s MSRP by more than $10,000. Yes, rebates alter that number, but CNN finds it difficult to justify the hefty premium for what amounts to less than 30 miles of added electric-only range.

http://www.ihatethemedia.com/governm...ready-obsolete

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/06/29...prius-plug-in/
    Last edited by zack991; 07-10-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

I think I'll keep driving my $18,000 gas chugger and save the $10,000 difference to pay for the gas and more guns.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Founder's Club Member
    Government Motors should just cut the crap and go straight to building Trabants. I'm surprised they haven't figured out they could just pocket all the extra money wasted on restraining the downward spiral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant

A Prius is lucky to break 45mpg. A lot of my wife's family owns Prius's (is that right?)

Generally they'll average high 30s to low 40s...

Get yerself a TDI.

55+ around town, near 60 freeway mpg.

Suck my soot hybrids.
    Last edited by VW_Factor; 07-10-2011 at 05:14 PM.

In 15-20 years, when privately-owned photovoltaic systems are made illegal, gasoline is over $15/gallon, consumer costs of electricity have increased by 1000%, and a Federal permit is required for interstate travel, it won't matter what your car uses for fuel...

Don't get distracted from the "big picture" folks. The "Volt vs. Prius" argument is about as productive and useful as the "9mm vs .45acp" argument.

Division = defeat.

Distraction = enslavement.
    Last edited by Dreamer; 07-10-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Don't get distracted from the "big picture" folks.
    The big picture is hybrids suck ass.

The government keeps controlling manufacturers and telling them what to build. The news will keep on saying, US auto makers aren't making hybrids or electric like the people want..

They are making EXACTLY what the public wants and demands. Trucks, pickups, etc. Not everyone wants/needs a small hybrid car. If trucks are selling, they are going to keep making trucks. Hybrids and fuel sipper cars not selling, they will resist the government mandates FORCING them to produce these vehicles.

My "opinions" and thought go way deeper than just this, however.. OCDO is not the place for such discussions.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    SNIP The government keeps controlling manufacturers and telling them what to build.
    Yeah. I read recently in the paper that the fedgov is/will be directing lending institutions to stall home foreclosures until a year's worth of missed payments.

Now, I have little sympathy for the big banks that raked in zillions and helped land us in the current depression (and got bailouts). But, what about smaller lending institutions that didn't play the fraudulent games? Here comes the government impairing contracts again. Just like they did when they favored the auto unions over the stockholders.

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    A Prius is lucky to break 45mpg. A lot of my wife's family owns Prius's (is that right?)

Generally they'll average high 30s to low 40s...

Get yerself a TDI.

55+ around town, near 60 freeway mpg.

Suck my soot hybrids.
    I've spent a lot of time on this problem; my advice is also to get a TDI, or go over to Germany and drive a diesel-hybrid and bring it back.

The Prius has issues with the motors shorting or damaging coils when operated above 60 MPH for extended periods of time. Have you ever seen a Prius driver doing exactly 70MPH or under on the interstate? Then you've got the inverter or the battery to deal with in five years. While battery technology always gets better, the inverter may become an NLA part -- No Longer Available.

I'm kinda surprised we haven't made a "diesel" engine that runs on gasoline. That would be "friendlier" than a diesel engine. For one, you don't have to carry The Glove to fill up with (so you don't get diesel on your hands). And you don't have to worry about fuel spills because parts of it evaporate. On the other hand, you don't have to shut the engine off when you fuel a diesel because the fuel generally isn't volatile. And diesel has a better shelf life unless you get algae in the tank.

The only cars that The Big Five are making that people can really make use of are the VW TDI, and a full-size diesel pickup truck for towing. In the event of an emergency, it's much easier to tow a trailer into an area affected and set up recovery efforts. It's also cheaper, because RVs command a premium cost and have expensive insurance. Travel trailers are cheaper than RVs, and you can use the pickup truck as a runabout or carry more gear in the bed (if you haven't maxed out your axles). Price out a diesel pickup versus a gas pickup for hauling and you're looking at a substantial cost down the road just in fuel. One would almost be better off with a Hino or an NPR truck as a hauling platform. Ah, but we're American, we have to have a crew cab and A/C...
    Last edited by Kirbinator; 07-10-2011 at 08:10 PM.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

I get 44 mpg highway and 30 city with a 2000 dollar car. For that reason and many others, I believe whole heartedly that both the prius and volt are moronic.

If you're going to go the stupidly cost and weight inefficient route of turning to batteries to make a car move, at least go all out.

http://www.urbee.net/home/
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

[QUOTE=Kirbinator;1570947]I've spent a lot of time on this problem; my advice is also to get a TDI, or go over to Germany and drive a diesel-hybrid and bring it back. [QUOTE]

You could go to the EU or elsewhere and try to bring back a car, but it'd either have to be 25 or more years old, a model already sold in the USA, or a model you pay big bucks with mega red tape to have modified to be approved here. Then there is the shipping cost. It is not by any stretch worth doing.

You'd be way better off taking an American TDI and bringing it closer to Euro specs by gutting the excess weight caused by US safety standards, then hopefully add a roll cage. Plus I'm sure some tuning would be needed.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post
    The Prius has issues with the motors shorting or damaging coils when operated above 60 MPH for extended periods of time. Have you ever seen a Prius driver doing exactly 70MPH or under on the interstate? Then you've got the inverter or the battery to deal with in five years. While battery technology always gets better, the inverter may become an NLA part -- No Longer Available.

Source?
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. — Carl Sagan

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

Banned
    I love green cars. In fact, I have one. Its a dark green 96 camaro Z-28, LT1 V8

Quote Originally Posted by sFe View Post
    Source?
    Error code 3009,

http://www.artsautomotive.com/public...g-an-mg2-motor
    Last edited by Kirbinator; 07-12-2011 at 05:32 PM.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post
    I've spent a lot of time on this problem; my advice is also to get a TDI, or go over to Germany and drive a diesel-hybrid and bring it back.
    European diesels will not run on the fuel we have here in the states... At least, not very well nor as effectively. Beyond that, their emissions requirements are much different, and their diesels can return 80mpg (in some models) or more as they are allowed to run a bit dirtier.

Banned
    I dont care what makes the car go, as long as you can hear the dash board creek a little, and the sun visors dutifully swing to the rear when you step on it. Oh yeah, and you'll never be able to beat the sound of a gasoline V8 small block winding up, as the tires struggle to hold the hot pavement.

Banned
    Im getting up to 20 out of the camaro.

What suprised me, was finding out the 3 cyl, smart car only gets around 30. I expect at least 50 out of a car that size.

My 1979 VW Rabbit diesel got 48 mpg, carried four adult passengers inside, four pair of skis on the roof rack, three days of clothing for each in the hatchback trunk, and enough gas (10 gal) to make it from Virginia Tech to Snowshoe, WV.

And back.

That was 32 years ago.

Why are people so excited about "hybrids" which are smaller, have less capacity, and worse gas milage?
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Banned
    Its a fad.

You can only get so much weight to move over a certain distance on a certain fuel type. There are scientific laws that govern that. There is no way the average car is going to get 50-60 miles per gallon. 25 or 30 maybe, but anything more is a pipe dream. My festiva got 43 when it was new, thats just about the limit.

If GM Ford, or the other company could make a full size car like an old caprice or crown vic get 55 mpg, yet still perform they would do it. They would crush the competition for at least a few years until the competitor figured it out, made thier own that wouldnt violate patent laws, and then got it into production.

Something as well, that some people seem to forget about cars that were made 20 years ago or more, and got high mileage numbers (the smaller cars anyway) is that back then, they were not burdened with nnearly as much government mandated safety equipment and emissions..

I am pretty sure that if our current generations of vehicles were not burdened with all this extra crap, we'd be seeing better mpg numbers. Yanno, a 40 mpg Crown Vic or something. Especially with how efficiently engines are running these days.

I agree with Stainless as well, if it was possible they'd likely already be doing it. Hell, Yota, Nissan or Honda or something would most certainly have it lol.

Anyway. We're off to go camping. See ya next week.

Banned
    yep, the festiva is now 20 years old.

My dad was telling me about a couple cars in the 60s that got up in the 30mpg range.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    EV's will have real potential when battery technology get's better. Right now; without paying over $20,000 just for a battery pack, only smaller vehicles like NEV's are economical. I've got an NEV that will go about 40 miles on flat ground before a recharge is needed and it will do 30 mph. It runs on 8, 6v batteries with a 5kw SepEx motor. I don't live in town anymore though and can't legally drive it on roads with over a 35mph posted speed limit, nor would I want to.

Now, I'm working on converting an electric golf cart to 4WD. This thing should go nearly anywhere when it's done and will be more useful to me where I live. I plan on selling the NEV. I've also done work on converting a riding lawnmower to electric. I've got all the parts to do it, just need the right donor and the time. I'll be able to mow my lawn for about 54 cents if I ever get that mower done.

Electric power has a lot of advantages with one major negative; the battery pack.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Banned
    The electric cars will pollute way more, way worse than gas cars do. They just dont pollute much while driving them. Construction, chemicals, waste, crashes, junk yard debris, repairs, recycling, you name it. Just build a car out of iron and aluminum, and when its done, melt it down and start over. So what if it has an exhaust pipe.

My '96 Camaro has gotten up to 23mpg on the freeway and 17mpg city (averages 18-20 freeway and 15-16 city) and I don't exactly have the lighest of feet; and it has the power to blow most other cars on the road away. My wife has a 2012 Focus that averages 25mpg city (we haven't taken it on a road trip so I can't reliably say what freeway MPG it gets) and it can go at 70+mph without problems. How much we have paid for our vehicles is less than a Volt and only slightly more than the cost of Prius (only because the Focus was fully loaded minus a sun roof). I see absolutely no reason to pay so much more for these electric vehicles for such a decrease in power and barely better MPG when compared to traditional cars. But hell, if I wanted I could use my Camaro to tow as it has the HP and torque to do so (and I've even seen some Camaros with the hitch and towing).

The only thing that would be nice would be to not have to run premium in my Camaro, but that's the cost of having a v8 with aftermarket upgrades.

Banned
    A small price to pay.

I love the prius, reminds me of why I have a camaro

Nice looking Camaro, but you still have the salad shooters! Should upgrade the rims :P I'll post a pic of mine when I'm not on my work computer and can access the site with the pics.