Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Seattle police precinct picnics.

  1. #1
    Regular Member jsanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    503

    Seattle police precinct picnics.

    The Seattle police dept. hold community open houses at their precincts with free hot dogs, ice cream and soft drinks. I went to the East precinct open house a few weeks ago, but I didn't open carry because I wanted to go inside the precinct for a tour, and firearms are not allowed. They have all the units there talking to the public. SWAT, Dive, Cannine, Narcotics, Bomb Squad and infomation tables put on by community groups.

    Yesterday they held another open house/picnic at the North precinct. All the units were there again, and the community tables. This time I open carried. They had the street on the side of their precinct closed, and the Dive, Swat, and Bomb Squad are on the street. I know North precinct has signs posted on their front door, no weapons allowed. Some of the other units and the community tables, as well as the free food and live music were in the parking lot in the front of the precinct. I asked one of the female sargents that was standing in the driveway if it was ok to open carry in their parking lot, she said it would scare people and that I might get my ccpl checked by one of the other officers, but she said "I'm not telling you, you can't". So I went in and started to talk to some of the people I had met at the previous open house. About and hour later I had a horse patrol officer come over and talk to me, because he was curious what I was all about. We talked about 5 minutes and then he went back over to his horse unit. I had on me the Seattle police trainning bulletin, but I didn't need it.

    The next open houses are at:

    Harbor patrol July 16.

    Southwest precinct August 20.

    West precinct August 25

    South precinct Sept. 10

    They start at 1pm and end at 4pm.
    It was nice to get to know the Seattle police officers and talk with them.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by jsanchez View Post
    SNIP
    Sounds like a nice relationship-building opportunity.

    What is a "horse unit"?

  3. #3
    Regular Member GreatWhiteLlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bothell, Washington, USA
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Sounds like a nice relationship-building opportunity.

    What is a "horse unit"?
    Seattle still has mounted officers, (although with the budget troubles, this may not be true for long).

    http://www.cityofseattle.net/police/units/mounted.htm
    "...our media are palace eunuchs gazing avidly at the harem of power and stroking their impotent pens in time to the rape of our liberties."
    -Sarah Hoyt

    "America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
    -Claire Wolfe

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteLlama View Post
    Seattle still has mounted officers, (although with the budget troubles, this may not be true for long).
    Well, yes. But, what is a "horse unit"?

    I know what a horse is. And, I know what a police car is.

    But, I can't figger out what the heck a horse unit is.

    Is this kinda like a police car and its officers? You know, "[skxxxz] Unit 42, Unit 42. Two-eleven in progress. Sunset and Main. [skxxxz]".

    If it is a horse and his cop, the cop can't walk back to his unit, because it ain't a unit until he's on the horse. Until the cop gets there, it would be just a horse.

    Aughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I can't figger it out.

  5. #5
    Regular Member SpyderTattoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by jsanchez View Post
    The Seattle police dept. hold community open houses at their precincts with free hot dogs, ice cream and soft drinks. I went to the East precinct open house a few weeks ago, but I didn't open carry because I wanted to go inside the precinct for a tour, and firearms are not allowed. They have all the units there talking to the public. SWAT, Dive, Cannine, Narcotics, Bomb Squad and infomation tables put on by community groups.

    Yesterday they held another open house/picnic at the North precinct. All the units were there again, and the community tables. This time I open carried. They had the street on the side of their precinct closed, and the Dive, Swat, and Bomb Squad are on the street. I know North precinct has signs posted on their front door, no weapons allowed. Some of the other units and the community tables, as well as the free food and live music were in the parking lot in the front of the precinct. I asked one of the female sargents that was standing in the driveway if it was ok to open carry in their parking lot, she said it would scare people and that I might get my ccpl checked by one of the other officers, but she said "I'm not telling you, you can't". So I went in and started to talk to some of the people I had met at the previous open house. About and hour later I had a horse patrol officer come over and talk to me, because he was curious what I was all about. We talked about 5 minutes and then he went back over to his horse unit. I had on me the Seattle police trainning bulletin, but I didn't need it.

    The next open houses are at:

    Harbor patrol July 16.

    Southwest precinct August 20.

    West precinct August 25

    South precinct Sept. 10

    They start at 1pm and end at 4pm.
    It was nice to get to know the Seattle police officers and talk with them.

    Why isn't it allowed? Is it a court? Is it a jail? Is it restricted to persons 21 years old and older? Is it a school?
    Certified Glock Armorer

    "A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

    A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

  6. #6
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteLlama View Post
    Seattle still has mounted officers, (although with the budget troubles, this may not be true for long).

    http://www.cityofseattle.net/police/units/mounted.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Well, yes. But, what is a "horse unit"?

    Aughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I can't figger it out.
    Unit, No one said Unit, except for you of course.

    Have you been hanging around that end of a horse again?
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  7. #7
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    Why isn't it allowed? Is it a court? Is it a jail? Is it restricted to persons 21 years old and older? Is it a school?
    I am not aware how their building is laid out, if it is anything like in Yakima the direct access to the courts is also the lobby for the Police Department, so according to State law you cannot carry into that area.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Unit, No one said Unit, except for you of course.
    Where do you guys find the funny pics?!

    Yes, somebody else did say unit. The OPer. Its right there in the OP. I ask about it in the second post in the thread.

    So, while you're back here with me, why don't you comb his tail.

  9. #9
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Where do you guys find the funny pics?!

    Yes, somebody else did say unit. The OPer. Its right there in the OP. I ask about it in the second post in the thread.

    So, while you're back here with me, why don't you comb his tail.
    I am busy holding it for you to get a closer look
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769
    Former officer BIRK wanted to be in the horse UNIT, but when he jumped on his whistle and blew the horse, they said he did not qualify

  11. #11
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by mik253 View Post
    so she said if you open carry you may get your CPL checked? Sounds like she coulda used one of those bulletins haha
    This would have been a good time to advise her that a CPL is not needed to Open Carry and then do the bulletin as well.
    Last edited by BigDave; 07-11-2011 at 01:53 AM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    I am busy holding it for you to get a closer look
    LOL!! Ok, that was good! I needed that.

  13. #13
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post

    So, while you're back here with me, why don't you comb his tail.
    There's always one in every group

    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  14. #14
    Regular Member Ajetpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Olalla, Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by mik253 View Post
    so she said if you open carry you may get your CPL checked? Sounds like she coulda used one of those bulletins haha
    That's what I was thinking.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    I am not aware how their building is laid out, if it is anything like in Yakima the direct access to the courts is also the lobby for the Police Department, so according to State law you cannot carry into that area.
    The east precinct has a lobby you enter that is a few hundred square feet. Everything else is behind locked doors. It is allowed behind the locked doors but you need the Captain Dermody's permission. He is a great guy but I don't think he would allow just anyone to carry behind the doors. I have carried inside but I have special ties to that Precinct. If the OP went into the roll call room then he saw my ties hanging on the back wall in the form of a memorial as well as a few other places around the precinct.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •