• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sad news for one of our own

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I now it's not OC related except that it involves the family of one of ours. I'm asking the mods to let it ride for a few days, then they can take it down.

Peter Nap's father died. If my information is correct it happened Sunday, 7/10/11.

Very little information available at the moment. To be honest, I do not even know his father's first name.

The obituary will probably not make it into the paper until tomorrow. Finding the web presence of a local paper has stymied my Google-fu. I got lucky and looked up funeral homes and the first one that came up was the right one.

The funeral will be at:

Johnson Funeral Service
208 South Main Street
Bridgewater VA 22812-1134
(540)828-2542

Arrangements are just now being worked out, so PLEASE do not flood them with calls for information.

Please hold off on any contributions/flowers until the family has had a chance to decide what they would like in the way of things such as donations to some group in lieu of flowers.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Well, that does absolutely no good for those of us Luddites who refuse to use Facepage or MyBook. How about doing a cut and paste for us?

Thanks.

stay safe.

sidestreet

Sad news indeed...,

but we are believers of the "Good News", with that said, these thoughts and prayers are with Peter and family.

John 3:16
Jeremiah 29:11-13
Hebrews 13:6

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
What can one say? Happened to me a few years ago...

I don't care if it's unmanly, here's a hug for Nap: [hug]

raftgyde

Obituaries

Donald Douglas Litten
(March 24, 1930 - July 10, 2011)

Donald Douglas Litten, 81, of Bridgewater, passed away Sunday, July 10, 2011 at his home.

He was born in Shenandoah County, near Quicksburg, Virginia, on March 24, 1930. He attended New Market Elementary School and graduated from New Market High School. Afterward, he enlisted in the United States Navy and served on a destroyer in the South Pacific.

He was the son of the late Raye Zirkle Litten and Grace Swartz Litten, and had two siblings: Raye Zirkle Litten, Jr., and Louse Litten Minnich, both of whom predeceased him.

He was united in marriage on December 23, 1949, to Frances Ann Minor Litten, who preceded him in death on June 4, 2005. Surviving him are three children and their spouses: Ann Litten Menefee and William Neal Menefee, of Harrisonburg; Donald Douglas Litten, Jr., and Jane Cole Litten, of Mechanicsville; and Jonathan Jay Litten and Kathryn Kostel Litten, of Bridgewater. He also leaves behind six grandchildren: Donald Frederick Michael Litten, of Mechanicsville; William Chadwick Menefee, of Raleigh, North Carolina; Taylor Litten Duff, of King William; Claire Menefee Short, of Charlotte, North Carolina; Caroline Crisman Litten, of Williamsburg; and Jonathan Kostel Litten, of Bridgewater; and two great grandchildren: Emma Ann Litten and Donald Frederick Michael Litten, Jr.

Until his death, Mr. Litten was a practicing attorney at Litten & Sipe, LLP, but he was not a law school graduate. Having left college to support his family, he studied the law under George D. Conrad, Esq., for three years, and then passed Virginia’s bar examination. In a legal career that spanned over 50 years, he helped found Massanutten Resort; he was the instigator of the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Regional Sewer Authority and served as its counsel for 40 years; he served the Town of Bridgewater as judge and later Town Attorney for over 50 years; he represented both the Town of Dayton and the County of Shenandoah at various times; and he was a member of many local and regional boards of directors.

A memorial service will be held at Bridgewater United Methodist Church at 11:00 AM on Wednesday, July 13, 2011, with Rev. James M. Tongue officiating. Burial will be private.

The family will receive friends, Tuesday, July 12, 2011, from 6:00 until 7:30 PM at the Edgebrier Park, located on the corner of South Main Street and Riverside Drive in Bridgewater.

Memorial contributions may be made to People Helping People, c/o Muhlenberg Lutheran Church, 281 East Market Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801.

Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.johnsonfs.com

Arrangements are by Johnson Funeral Services in Bridgewater.

Source: http://www.johnsonfs.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=1205862&fh_id=10293

2a4all

Don, I'm sorry for your loss. Sometimes, it's easier to bear if it wasn't unexpected. It is the sad duty of children to bury their parents. I shared this with my siblings for my own father in 1997.

Take care.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Guys, this has turned out to be a difficult week for a lot of reasons, so a special thanks to everyone who replied here, sent PM's, emails, phone calls and talked to me in person. It was a little overwhelming!

One big surprise and a special thanks... since I never imagined they sent cards, was that I got a personal sympathy card from VCDL!

Back to business now. I have a farm to run and a documentary to finish. Thank again!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The pain of loss is yours and must be borne and grieved - no one else can properly share it. We can only be there in support.

Celebrate the life of your loved ones - remember the good always and the things taught and passed on to others.

Heart felt condolences my brother.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I'm sorry to hear your father passed Mr. Nap. Although this time is rough the upcoming weeks are likely to be just as rough and I hope you can find encouragement to help you through.