• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATF proceeds with reporting on sales of long guns

TFred

I'll tell you what, it takes a pretty arrogant somebody to implement this after the total embarrassment of Gun-Walker.

TFred

ATF to Require Information on Frequent Gunbuyers in Border States

WASHINGTON -- In an effort to stem the illicit flow of weapons into Mexico, the Justice Department announced Monday that all gun shops in four Southwest border states will be required to alert the federal government to frequent buyers of high-powered rifles.

[...]

Under the new policy, federal firearms licensees in Texas, California, Arizona and New Mexico must report purchases of two or more of some types of rifles by the same person in a five-day span. The requirement applies to purchases of semi-automatic rifles that have detachable magazines and a caliber of greater than .22.

Dreamer

So I wonder how many ATF agents will end up on a "list" because of this policy--since THEY are the ones who are moving most of the guns to Mexico... :banghead:

HandyHamlet

...the Justice Department announced Monday that all gun shops in four Southwest border states will be required to alert the federal government to frequent buyers of high-powered rifles.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ent-gunbuyers-in-border-states/#ixzz1RqAq1wTA

The last gasp of a megalomaniac whose days are numbered.

Screen-shot-.jpg

Alexcabbie

Well, fiddle - de -dee. ATF says they expect about "18,000 cases a month" of straw purchases. I wonder if the gun dealers have a quota.

The tactics being used by BATFE are similar to the ones used in the old "cups and balls" magic trick. Switch the focus and pull a goodie out of nowhere. Never mind that the original subject was why did BATFE let the croks get away with the guns, just dodge inquiry by "doing something" (however useless) and BATFE is automatically rehabilitated.

When Obama said he'd run a "transparent" government, who knew that what he meant was "transparent" chicanery?

Who knew that he would be so cynical as to believe that We the People would believe this blatant line of crapola?

TFred

Well, fiddle - de -dee. ATF says they expect about "18,000 cases a month" of straw purchases. I wonder if the gun dealers have a quota.

The tactics being used by BATFE are similar to the ones used in the old "cups and balls" magic trick. Switch the focus and pull a goodie out of nowhere. Never mind that the original subject was why did BATFE let the croks get away with the guns, just dodge inquiry by "doing something" (however useless) and BATFE is automatically rehabilitated.

When Obama said he'd run a "transparent" government, who knew that what he meant was "transparent" chicanery?

Who knew that he would be so cynical as to believe that We the People would believe this blatant line of crapola?
Not quite... from the article:

"must report purchases of two or more of some types of rifles by the same person in a five-day span...

ATF estimates it will generate 18,000 reports a year."​

Of which I suspect virtually none will be illegal purchases... As with Gun Free Zones, what criminal would be stupid enough to obey the law, buy from a FFL and get themselves reported?

That's the inherent weakness with this plan... they will send straw purchasers, so none will trigger the multiple purchase alarm.

As is always the case, this will harass law abiding citizens only, with no real consequence for the criminals.

TFred

Whitney

Required Under the Radar ??????

Deputy Attorney General James Cole issued the following statement today regarding information requests for multiple sales of semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines in select states along the Southwest Border:

Despite the vernacular used in the DOJ statement it is still a reporting requirement NOT a request.

Title 18 Chapter 44 Section 923 (g 5A and 5B). Firearms Licensing

(5) (A) Each licensee shall, when required by letter issued by the Attorney General, and until notified to the contrary in writing by the Attorney General, submit on a form specified by the Attorney General, for periods and at the times specified in such letter, all record information required to be kept by this chapter or such lesser record information as the Attorney General in such letter may specify.

(B) The Attorney General may authorize such record information to be submitted in a manner other than that prescribed in subparagraph (A) of this paragraph when it is shown by a licensee that an alternate method of reporting is reasonably necessary and will not unduly hinder the effective administration of this chapter. A licensee may use an alternate method of reporting if the licensee describes the proposed alternate method of reporting and the need therefor in a letter application submitted to the Attorney General, and the Attorney General approves such alternate method of reporting.

So... lets contort this BS some more. Since the statement of Deputy Attorney General James Cole does not specify "rim fire" 22 caliber weapons what is the real intent of this? It is to enact feel good laws that do nothing. Now the DOJ has to send each and every "FFL Dealer" notice of the new "requirement". FFL Dealers must comply or face penalties and continue reporting until notified to the contrary. Section 924 covers penalties.

Evil Black Gun

E
vil Black Gun

E
vil Black Gun

E
vil Black Gun

~Whitney

TFred

how can the ATF mandate this when this particular action has no funding?
According to this article (near the bottom) the funding cut is for the Fiscal 2012 year, not now.

The issue came to the forefront last month when Republican Rep. Denny Rehberg (Mont.) successfully attached an amendment to the fiscal 2012 Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies appropriations bill, which would prohibit any federal funding of the new rule. The appropriations measure passed the House with the amendment intact.

I've seen no word on whether it made it through the Senate, or will be signed by Obama.

TFred

Sonora Rebel

BATFE should be disbanded and it's necessary functions split with FBI and US Customs. Anything else should be tossed to the wind. It's a rogue outfit of dubious merit, redundant to other Federal law enforcement organizations. It's been around since the hysteria of '72. 'Time to fold it's tent.

Basic Guy

Has anybody else noticed that California - where this category of firearm is all but banned - is included on this list? It seems rather nonsensical to require the reporting of transactions which for all practical purposes do not occur.

But then I guess expecting the BATFE to make logical sense on anything is a bit beyond reality. I suppose their point was to not have to explain the details to the sheeple at large in case anybody asked why California was not on the list. It makes them look like they know what they are doing I guess.

Alexcabbie

Meanwhile the erstwhile Infernal Revenuers are stalling, stalling, stalling and stonewalling the "Fast and Loose" - OOPS I mean "Fast and Furious" inquiry.

Hey, the operation worked. Holder and Obama tried to use the ATF to pull a fast one, and now people are furious.:rolleyes:

silver

I've seen no word on whether it made it through the Senate, or will be signed by Obama.

TFred

I was under the impression that the moron in the white house implemented this via executive order. Am i Wrong?

Fisherman

BATFE should be disbanded and it's necessary functions split with FBI and US Customs. Anything else should be tossed to the wind. It's a rogue outfit of dubious merit, redundant to other Federal law enforcement organizations. It's been around since the hysteria of '72. 'Time to fold it's tent.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should not be a government agency. It should be a department store.