Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo disposal

Ammo disposal

Have a friend who has numerous rounds of 38 that he says are 20 years old, kept in an ammo can in dry cool place. He isn't sure what to do with it and is looking for suggestions on disposal. Anyone?

http://tinyurl.com/69yjv9u

Seriously, I call to the local Fire Marshall is probably a good start.

Stay safe,

asg

Many gun offer safeboxes for damaged ammunition at the range. Call around and see if any of them might be able to help.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by bohdi View Post
    Have a friend who has numerous rounds of 38 that he says are 20 years old, kept in an ammo can in dry cool place. He isn't sure what to do with it and is looking for suggestions on disposal. Anyone?
    20 years isn't really that old when you think about some of the surplus ammo people buy/shoot. If its factory loads and he really wants to get rid of it, I'll take it and 'dispose' of it.

I think they are factory loads. I'll have to ask him but I am pretty sure it's "new in box". He told me when we were out camping about two weeks ago. He has a 357 but as you can imagine, rarely shoots. I suggested he contact a few ranges but haven't gotten him links to them but I am sure he could have looked them up. If your serious about taking it off his hands let me know and I'll help make it happen. Otherwise I think the range route is probably the best option but I figured there would be someone on here who might have another opinion or four

I think they are factory loads. I'll have to ask him but I am pretty sure it's "new in box". He told me when we were out camping about two weeks ago. He has a 357 but as you can imagine, rarely shoots. I suggested he contact a few ranges but haven't gotten him links to them but I am sure he could have looked them up. If your serious about taking it off his hands let me know and I'll help make it happen. Otherwise I think the range route is probably the best option but I figured there would be someone on here who might have another opinion or four
    Sure, I'm serious. I'll be coming through Centerville Wed. afternoon and can pick it up then. If that doesn't work out, I can ride up there this weekend.

Very carefully, dispose of it one round at a time.

Place them in a suitable container and render them inoperable.

Here is a suitable container.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100175564-1-L.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	6265
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    Very carefully, dispose of it one round at a time.

Place them in a suitable container and render them inoperable.

Here is a suitable container.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100175564-1-L.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	6265
    This 100%

Centurion
    Load em up in the .357 revolver and dispose away as long as no damage or corrosion is evident on the cases/primers!

Campaign Veteran
    I have some old hand loaded .44 Mag's and 357's, with nothing to shoot 'em in. In Fx. Co. you can call the PD @ 703-246-2253 for disposal instructions. I haven't, yet...

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    I have a machine that disposes of .38 ammo very well. I'd be happy to take it off his hands.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    The recommended way to dispose of old or damaged ammo is to turn it in to your local police station.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I can't believe some of what I'm hearing

If it isn't corroded, shoot it or give it to someone that can use it.
    If it is corroded, pull the bullets and reload them or give them to a handloader that will.

Just dump the powder in the bushes or lawn. It's a high nitrogen fertilizer.

Just soak the old cases in water to neutralize the primers.

Huh....... Does your friend even have a 38? ammo is good 50+ years. I have surplus stuff I have been shooting, dated to 1968. Was this stored bad or something? in a garage ?

I have a friend who has this machine to get rid of 38sp ammo, will take it off your hands, depends on how many rounds you got. Thats a long drive....
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 07-12-2011 at 12:06 AM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

As long as it's not corroded or damaged, it should be safe to shoot. I've shot ammo that was made in the early 1930's with no problems at all.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    The recommended way to dispose of old or damaged ammo is to turn it in to your local police station.
    What would a police department do with old ammo that we cannot?

I'd send them downrange. The storage method described suggests they're perfectly fine.

I'll take 'em if you don't want 'em.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Founder's Club Member
    If you were to clean out all your PMs you've got stored up, your friends could send you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    Police Dept. EOD... Explosive Ordnance Disposal.

A few months ago I met a FCPD officer involved in that stuff. They'll accept and properly dispose of unwanted ammunition, smokeless and black powder, fireworks, and even civil war munitions. Though the latter they prefer to come out on location to take care of.

Of course, if it's just old ammo that was properly stored, no reason not to just shoot it up.

+1

When I was in LE, I asked where it went and was told that it gets turned over to the State Police and their bomb squad guys either destroy it or use it for bomb squad training, equipment testing, etc.

if the ammo looks good and you believe that it hasn't been compromised, then its probably safe to shoot. If you have any concerns, don't risk it.
    Last edited by ProShooter; 07-12-2011 at 08:04 AM.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

I had suggested the water route. I don't know the condition of the rounds, I doubt he does either. I don't know if he would be willing to shoot them, which sort of begs the question of why he still has the 357, lol. Having said that I'll have to goto his house to check them out. I won't be able to do that before Wednesday. So before I advise him to give them up I'll ask him if he intends to keep shooting his 357 with any regularity, and maybe help facilitate a sale of gun and ammo as a package if he wants neither. I'd rather get him shooting his own weapon again - for his own safety, than to leave him with a paperweight.

@ citizen - yes friend, it does help if I empty my in and sent boxes. This forum makes it rather painful to delete pm's. Going one by one is not so fun. Saving everything to a text file and emptying the entire contents is not so fun (but much quicker I admit). My boxes are now clear

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    Police Dept. EOD... Explosive Ordnance Disposal.

A few months ago I met a FCPD officer involved in that stuff. They'll accept and properly dispose of unwanted ammunition, smokeless and black powder, fireworks, and even civil war munitions. Though the latter they prefer to come out on location to take care of.

Of course, if it's just old ammo that was properly stored, no reason not to just shoot it up.
    I can see big city Police Depts. having that stuff. Perhaps the smaller departments send their "stuff" to the bigger ones?

This forum makes it rather painful to delete pm's. Going one by one is not so fun. Saving everything to a text file and emptying the entire contents is not so fun (but much quicker I admit). My boxes are now clear
    If you click on the box next to the total, it will check all of the boxes for you.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    If you click on the box next to the total, it will check all of the boxes for you.
    I was hoping to have a better option to select the ones I wanted to delete to get below the total, not have an all or nothing choice. I saved all my messages into a text file so if I really need anything I can find it.

I was hoping to have a better option to select the ones I wanted to delete to get below the total, not have an all or nothing choice. I saved all my messages into a text file so if I really need anything I can find it.
    I haven't tried it here but can't you use the check all then uncheck the ones you wan't to keep? I've done this on other aplications.
    Last edited by Wolf_shadow; 07-12-2011 at 04:29 PM.

I have a friend who's FFL licensed to "manufacture" ammo - I give stuff like that to him; he re-uses components. Lots of handloader guys can make good use of it for their own purposes. I wouldn't waste in on fire marshalls or cops - besides, it could arouse their curiosity in ways you won't like.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast