• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo disposal

VW_Factor

Police Dept. EOD... Explosive Ordnance Disposal.

A few months ago I met a FCPD officer involved in that stuff. They'll accept and properly dispose of unwanted ammunition, smokeless and black powder, fireworks, and even civil war munitions. Though the latter they prefer to come out on location to take care of.

Of course, if it's just old ammo that was properly stored, no reason not to just shoot it up.

I can see big city Police Depts. having that stuff. Perhaps the smaller departments send their "stuff" to the bigger ones?

bohdi

If you click on the box next to the total, it will check all of the boxes for you.

I was hoping to have a better option to select the ones I wanted to delete to get below the total, not have an all or nothing choice. I saved all my messages into a text file so if I really need anything I can find it.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
I was hoping to have a better option to select the ones I wanted to delete to get below the total, not have an all or nothing choice. I saved all my messages into a text file so if I really need anything I can find it.

I haven't tried it here but can't you use the check all then uncheck the ones you wan't to keep? I've done this on other aplications.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
I have a friend who's FFL licensed to "manufacture" ammo - I give stuff like that to him; he re-uses components. Lots of handloader guys can make good use of it for their own purposes. I wouldn't waste in on fire marshalls or cops - besides, it could arouse their curiosity in ways you won't like.

ODA 226

+1

When I was in LE, I asked where it went and was told that it gets turned over to the State Police and their bomb squad guys either destroy it or use it for bomb squad training, equipment testing, etc.

if the ammo looks good and you believe that it hasn't been compromised, then its probably safe to shoot. If you have any concerns, don't risk it.

When I was Deputy Head of the UNDP SEESAC Program, we used this monster to destroy surplus/ damaged ammunition. We put the ammo into the large hole in the front and an Archimedes Screw fed the ammo into the wood-fired stove. The ammo safely detonated like popcorn!

Again, as long as your ammo is stored properly, it will remain safe to shoot indefinately.

CIMG0006.jpg

RedRuger

Disposing of Ammunition

For small quantities of brass cased ammunition if you do not want to shoot it or give it away you can just put it into a jug of common household ammonia. The ammonia will eat away the brass and neutralize the powder and primers. When it has stopped bubbling the ammo is safe to put out in the trash.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
215517.jpg

=
david_deering_custom_bullets_431_diameter.jpg

asullivangarner

I have a friend who's FFL licensed to "manufacture" ammo - I give stuff like that to him; he re-uses components. Lots of handloader guys can make good use of it for their own purposes. I wouldn't waste in on fire marshalls or cops - besides, it could arouse their curiosity in ways you won't like.

Best comment so far. A good hand loader can disassemble and reuse use the cases and the bullets.

On the other hand, the last 30 plus year old rounds I fired, fired fine.

Put me on the list for said rounds, if you choose to "give" them away.

Stay Safe,

asg

bohdi

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I've convinced said friend into a range day. That will be planned for the near future. Now the question is which range? Neither of us are NRA members, so unless we get a group together it's going to be Blue Ridge, Silver Eagle (not a member there either) or Clarks brothers maybe? I haven't been to Clarks and have been interested to check that out. Just haven't had lots of spare time to go down that route just to shoot. Looking like this event would be at least three weeks out.

mschend

NRA Membership

You don't have to be an NRA member to shoot at the NRA range, if I recall correctly. You do have to take a short "open book" test on gun safety however. If I'm wrong about the membership I'm sure someone here can let you know. Enjoy your shooting wherever you end up!