• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Second Amendment in Australia.

Gil223

It says that they (Australia or Thailand? It can't make its mind up which lie it wants to go with) have a "well regulated malitia."

What is the difference between a malitia and a militia? Based on the context it provides, the malitia must mean a standing army, an arm of the government, a force for those in charge. While informed folks know that the militia is composed of the People and is a force for those who should be in charge!

Freudian misspelling?

Oh, BTW, it has no idea of what "well regulated" means when used by the Framers. I betcha it thinks it means "has lotsa rules."

Aussies are notoriously poor spellers - and this one is so intellectually bankrupt he probably just drools on his keyboard. :uhoh: Pax...

KYGlockster

Activist Member
~!

I guess the solution is to let your political process do its thing.

As for us killing each other, there are about 200 million guns here that have never been involved in illegal activity. Should we restrict everyone based on the actions of a very small number if people? What we do have is lots of people who need to either calm down or get dead. Chicago has about 70,000 active criminal gang members, each if whom most likely illegally carries a gun, yet there were only 506 gun killings there last year. That is a big number, but still a small percentage of the whole.

I believe your figure is off by about one-hundred million. There are nearly 300,000,000 firearms that are crime free. Only a very small portion of firearms are ever used in a crime.

As for the other poster and murder rates, he is speaking out of his as*. We all know the FACTS and where to find them, so surely it couldn't be that hard for a liberal to find them as well. Gun ownership at an ALL time high, gun-crime rates at a nearly fifty year low! Yea, our guns are the reason for crime, just like vehicles are the reason drunk drivers kill people!

nonameisgood

The actual number of guns is a bit murky, and while I have heard the same 300k figure, I didn't want to overstate the case. The same people that quote that number usually also say that you can buy a handgun for $100, compare it to a $1000 shotgun, and also talk about a gun show loophole, as though there aren't instant background checks required for dealers.

saiga12boy

We have no bill of rights, we have no second amendment. This is why our government was able to bring into law the banning of legally purchased legally owned firearms, and put into place the five hundred million dollar gun buyback.

We in Australia live our lives totally under the control of, and at the whim of whatever government of the day is in power. No God, no fundamental rights, just whoever is in government having the final say about how we live our lives.

The majority of Australians want a Bill of Rights and they want a say about whether it belongs in the Constitution. Even though Australia has signed all five international treaties that make up the the International Bill of Human Rights, none of these treaties are legally binding in Australia. Nor is there is a Bill of Rights in the Australian Constitution. This means that the fundamental rights and freedoms of everyone living in Australia are not protected by the law.

In 1991-1992 the Research School of Social Sciences at ANU conducted a national survey of 1522 Australians and asked them about their attitude to rights. The report Rights in Australia 1991-1992 found that 70.6% of Australians want a Bill of Rights (7.4% were against and 21.8% were undecided). The Survey also found that 85.9% supported a referendum to determine whether a Bill of Rights should be put in the Constitution.
The majority of Australians (57.8%) also believe that a Bill of Rights would strengthen our national identity.

Nevertheless, Australia's politicians continue to deny Australians a Bill of Rights to protect our rights and freedoms.

Why? Is it simply because a Bill of Rights would be an effective check and balance on politicians power?

That would explain why X Prime Minister Howard supported a Bill of Rights for Iraq, but not for his own people.

Just because there's is no constitutional provision protecting the right to keep and bear arms doesen't mean that you should give them up. If you didin't then good for you but your countrymen should have banded together and not let the government take their gun like what people in New York are doing.

saiga12boy

Regardless of what some of the so called Australians on this web site say, the vast majority support gun control. We are lucky to live in a country where the people have a say, rather than lobby groups like the NRA. The people in Australia want assault weapons and high capacity magazines out of public hands and our government listens to our wishes. Our gun control measures helped to reduce gun related deaths by 60% since their introduction. We live in a lucky country and don't want to see it ruined by America and I hope it stays that way.
Yeah why should anyone listen to the nra or the gunowners. Why should anyonehave the freedom to defend themselves fromm tyrannical government with high capacity magazines. That's not right. Freedom's evil why would you want that when the police can provide your security. Cause police have never been used for bad casues like murdering people or anyting like that.

Get your head out of your a**.

DW98

No, my opinions are based on our experience here in Australia as well as unbiased reports in the media. I won't bother to cut and paste them here because I doubt you will read the other side of the argument.

The biggest difference between the US and Australia after the all too frequent US gun massacres happens in the aftermath. We shake our heads in disbelief at the stupidity of the US gun culture and thank ourselves for not having easy access to guns. In the US the people just go out and buy more guns like the AR15.

Wow...............:rolleyes:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wow...............:rolleyes:

Since you reactivated this necro thread....:p

Agolding was/is a drive-by user who only posted unsubstantiated claims for a period of 6 days, all back in March of this year. His modus operendi was that of a provocateur and his behavior very trollish. He would not cite and ridiculed others who did so as cutting and pasting. Clearly his intent would seem to have been to get under people's skin.

He was also appeared deceptive and forgetful as he purported to be in Australia even though his Location on his Profile clearly said Thailand.

Don't be concerned with him or his ramblings - doubt you'll see him again.

Sir Diealotz

Grapeshot, how DARE you use facts to prove your point! That is FORBIDDEN! :lol:

I feel for you Aussies, Hind sight is 20/20 but you guys should have made a stand.

DW98

I feel for you Aussies, Hind sight is 20/20 but you guys should have made a stand.

I wish we had.

When the new laws came into effect after the Port Arthur Massacre, I was too young to own firearms and therefore missed out on a lot.

It's depressing to hear stories of how it used to be. Fully automatics were legal, pistols were easy to obtain, you could get your firearms license in a day and there were no waiting periods or 'genuine reasons' required for owning one. Kids even used to take semi-automatic rifles to school for show & tell!

The only parts of the laws I agree with are the extensive mental health/background checks, as well as safe storage requirements.

Maybe one day the laws will loosen up. I won't hold my breath, though.