• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man this stuff is confusing

TicoD

:uhoh::uhoh:
Ok we are thinking of relocating retired,relocating to either Delaware or Virginia. What are the open carry issues. What state accept open carry from a different state? How long do you have to a citizen of that state to purchase a handgun to open carry?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to OCDO!!!

For the love of everything sacred, come to Virginia.

Here is some basic info on VA

http://opencarry.org/va.html

Virginia, in my experience, in my experience is a great open carry state. You don't have to be a resident here to open carry an Virginia has total pre-emption meaning localities cannot enact their own gun ordinances.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Man, no contest for me, Virginia is just drop-dead, flat-out gorgeous. :D

I have family is Delaware, and I have spent years working in various areas of Virginia, northeast, southwest, southeast, tidewater... there is much to see and do in Virginia, and if I were retiring tomorrow and staying somewhere in the mid-atlantic, Virginia would be my choice.

I also think you would find Virginia way ahead of the curve on 2A issues.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
You should post dual competing threads in the Virginia and Delaware forums. See which citizens promote their state for carry rights, taxes, etc. Might be fun.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
I don't understand the confusion. Either a state allows open carry, or it does with certain exceptions, or it does not.

In the case of a state that permits a citizen to open carry, it does not require an open carrier to be a citizen of that state.
In a state where open carry is allowed, such as Colorado, certain places (Denver city and county) do not tolerate open carry.
Similarly, the state of Nebraska is an open carry state. Except for Omaha and maybe Lincoln.

Deleware is one of those states where open carry is generally recognized throughout the state, but certain jurisdictions are allowed to enforce local ordinances that were in effect prior to the state preemption law:

http://www.opencarry.org/de.html
Delaware is an open carry state. Those doing so should be aware that any local ordinances that were in effect at the time that preemption was passed (July 4, 1985) are still in effect and are NOT preempted. Open carry does not yet appear to be a common occurence in Delaware, but the number is increasing.

Best bet is to check local ordinances before visiting a specific jurisdiction.

Meanwhile, back in Virginia!!!

http://www.opencarry.org/va.html
Virginia is one of our "Gold Star" open carry states. There is complete state preemption of all firearms laws, open carry is increasingly common and law enforcement is well educated as to its legality.

Virginia would be my vote, if I was in your shoes.
The only remaining concern might be Gun Free School Zones, which is a federal thingy, but beyond that, Virginia is a very open carry friendly state. A shining example for the rest of America. A haven of 2nd Amendment rights and a terrific place to settle down. Especially if you open carry a firearm!

So. I just don't understand any confusion. You can choose one that is partially open carry, or one that is totally open carry. Deleware or Virginia.
Hmmmm tough choice. NOT.

Bear in mind, I am neither a lawyer nor a travel agent.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Besides the issue of open carry, what are you looking for in a retirement destination?

I think Deleware may have the better tax structure over Virginia, but that's pretty much eaten up by being surrounded by NJ and MD, which you'd have to traverse in order to get anywhere. Even NoThern Virginia (which begins, depending on who you ask, at the Occoquan, the Rappahannock, or the James River) is OC friendly - not just tolerant but friendly.

Unfortunately I have no financial interest in recruiting you to the Old Dominion. All I can say is if we welcomed ProShooter (look him up) we would probably welcome you as well - but it would help if you liked BBQ. :>)

stay safe.

Blk97F150

Virginia.... south of the Rappahannock, or west of the Shenandoah. The rest is 'infected'.... :lol:

Gunslinger

Lived in VA and it is a Free State. DE is a nice state, they recognize CO CCWs where amazingly, VA doesn't. Don't like their neighbors, however. I'd choose VA of the two.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Mentioned this to some friends at breakfast yesterday. Some concerns were expressed about your Yankee-ness and how that would impact the zietgiest should you move to Virginia.

Yes, there are a lot of folks who still have not resolved the Late Unpleasantness, including one family that is still smarting over the theft of a certain gold pocketwatch. (It's an insiders' story. We'll tell it to you if you do settle in Virginia.)

The point of bringing all of this up is that Virginia is, by and large, a state that respects the individual and does not impose many restrictions of individual freedom. Yes, we have a ways to go on a number of things, but by and large manage not to be a nanny state. Folks that come from nanny states have a habit of bringing with them an expectation that things will be just like "back home" and pushing to make the new place just like the old place. New Yawk is viewed by folks down here as a nanny state,

If you are moving from New Yawk to Virginia, be prepared to leave New Yawk up there and become a Virginian.

stay safe.