• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Green Bay Taverns & Businesses that have stated they will NOT allow Legal CCW

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Tonight both the Stadium View Bar on Holmgren Way & Kittners Bar on 129 S. Washington street, both have stated tonight on the news that they WILL NOT allow anyone to carry Legal concealed weapon in their establishments.

The owner of the Stadium view said that , Alcohol & guns do not mix & he is running a "FAMILY" establishment & as long as he owns it NO GUNS WILL EVER BE ALLOWED & if he finds people are sneaking them in he would consider a metal detector, yet he says he is ALL FOR THE 2nd Amendment..... really ???

protias

Way to announce to all the criminals that they will have free reign on those places... :banghead:

MKEgal

Glock34 said:
The owner of the Stadium view said that , Alcohol & guns do not mix & he is running a "FAMILY" establishment & as long as he owns it NO GUNS WILL EVER BE ALLOWED & if he finds people are sneaking them in he would consider a metal detector
There's a whole 'nother WI thread about alcohol & guns, so I won't get back into that here...
But if he wants to turn away customers that's his call.

As for being a 'family' establishment, if it's a bar, no it's not. But doesn't he think his family is worth protecting?

How will he know if people carry, if it's concealed? If someone is in fear for her life, & shoots an assailant, then he'll know, & he'd be a terrible hypocrite to say "nobody needs a gun here".

Mlutz

qball54208

Blame it on the News! Fox 11 WLUK here in Green Bay ran the CCW story and stated that businesses could post no weapons/guns. However, "guns" are not to include "firearms" according to the new definition, so again they got it wrong!
I will be dropping off a copy of "Concealed carry: Could prohibiting weapons in the workplace lead to liability?" at Stadium View
Which by the way if memory serves me right, they have gun shows there? Correct me if I'm wrong!

Lurchiron

Would be VERY stupid of them to not allow and post no guns, given the fact that if they'd allow they'd be immune!
Concealed carry: Could prohibiting weapons in the workplace lead to liability?
http://www.wisbar.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=103720

Excellent post. What happens when some amped-up banger blasts someone at a "posted" establishment; and eveyone there, sues said establishment because
they had their rights stripped from them at the door??? I wonder if most of these places even know the ramifications of their choices; or are they all following
some knee-jerk reaction from the press clippings???

Last edited:

qball54208

Well now, Fox 11 WLUK NO LONGER has an excuse, cuz I dropped off a copy of:
http://www.wisbar.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=103720
And I will be getting in touch w/the Tavern League, I feel it is our duty to pass along the correct message. I will be dropping off the Memo from State Bar of Wisconsin to him.
President: Green Bay Tavern League
Barry Fitzgerald
234 S Washington St
Green Bay WI 54301-4213
(920) 884-8484

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Does that document really help?

Well now, Fox 11 WLUK NO LONGER has an excuse, cuz I dropped off a copy of:
And I will be getting in touch w/the Tavern League, I feel it is our duty to pass along the correct message. I will be dropping off the Memo from State Bar of Wisconsin to him.
President: Green Bay Tavern League
Barry Fitzgerald
234 S Washington St
Green Bay WI 54301-4213
(920) 884-8484

I'm not sure that the document you have linked really helps strengthen our position. From the document:
Conclusion
Property owners, businesses, and employers may prohibit concealed weapons by posting proper signage. Those prohibiting concealed weapons will not enjoy immunity from liability that arises from that decision under the new law.
But, according to Froiland and Hopkins, that does not necessarily mean prohibiting concealed weapons will lead to increased liability when the law takes effect, at least not for employers who wish to prohibit concealed weapons in the workplace.

It does leave it kind of open for customers I suppose. I wonder if we will find a differing opinion from another legal group?

Last edited:

IcrewUH60

If we dont all have one, maybe we ALL should become good friends with different bar/restaurant owners in order to discuss reasonably our position/2A rights. (one has more credibility IF the other person knows you)...

If you're ever in the Verona area (just south of Madison/Fitchburg) do stop by Gray's Tied House (http://www.graystiedhouse.com/) and (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Grays-Tied-House/118383383920) I talked with the owner and he is very 2A and OC friendly. He will give permission to OC and I have OC'd in there a few times with my family for dinner without any problems from the staff or customers.

I don't see him doing a 180 when it comes to CC but you're right, knowing him a little bit (plus the WCI tri-fold the bright orange flyer I handed him) had to have helped.

If you do swing by, I'd be happy to introduce you.

MKEgal

Passive101 said:
Concealed is concealed. Others will choose to not give them business.
1) If they're posted, it's trespassing, which is a misdemeanor penalty.
And since it's a "crime committed with a gun" (in the eyes of some judges), there could be a penalty enhancer.
And since a misdemeanor is a crime, your gun will be destroyed by the state.
(Unlike the current "improper transport", & the post-01NOV school zone infraction, which are forfeitures.)

2) Why give money to some place that doesn't want you?
If there's no place else open & you're freezing to death & need a hot cup of soup, I can see the necessity in that. But for socializing or eating? No.

Last edited:

Big River Leather

And since it's a "crime committed with a gun" (in the eyes of some judges), there could be a penalty enhancer.
(Unlike the current "improper transport", & the post-01NOV school zone infraction, which are forfeitures.)

If there's no place else open & you're freezing to death & need a hot cup of soup, I can see the necessity in that. But for socializing or eating? No.

Is it "trespassing if it's posted" or "trespassing if it's posted and you are asked to leave and don't". That is how it is in MN (the second)

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran

bars like the Stadium view which are very VERY busy bars....one could easily & BELIEVABLY say they did not see the sign, maybe someone was walking out as you were walking in..the sign was obstructed by someone, etc, etc......remember fight every ticket in court..& if your asked to leave then leave :) we need to locate a bar in the Stadium district that will be A-OK with Legal CCW....IT CAN BE DONE