• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I Walk into the Jewelry Store...

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
My other vice is metal detecting. It is actually a huge part of why I got interested in guns to start with.
I often have quite a bit of gold and silver on my person, and figured one of these days, somebody'd want
the fruits of my labor more than they ought and I might need to dissaude them.

Anyhow, I decided to sell a few pieces of gold I've found in the past few months so I went to Arvada to
visit a jeweler who has always treated me fairly. I walked in with my Ruger P94 .40 cal holstered on my
hip and waited for the man to deal with customers ahead of me. After about 20 minutes, my turn rolled
around and we did the transaction. I walked out a few minutes later with $180 bucks in my pocket and
without any fuss from him or other customers about my pistol.

Then I cruised to an ATM to deposit my "free money" to my account. But I discovered I'd left my bank
card in a shirt pocket at home, so I drove to the credit union to go inside and visit with a real live teller.
I transacted my business and again, nobody batted an eye at my pistol. I didn't have any reaction from
the tellers or other customers. As I was leaving, the bank manager looked up and smiled as I smiled back
and waved at him. "Staying out of trouble there amigo?" I asked in a jovial manner. "Yes, thanks!" and
I was on my way home. Decided to hit the King Soopers. I asked for the store manager and told her
of my experience with their security guard on Saturday and gave him the strongest commendation I
could muster. She thanked me for that and said she'd pass it along. I got some victuals and left.

I didn't intend to hit the chicken shack but on impulse dropped by the Jim Dandy to get some lunch.
So I walked in and they had quite a few folks dining inside, and I got some chicken to take home and
left without anybody reacting to my Ruger.

All in all, a pretty groovy day today.

Oh, and it is Monday! I love Mondays! I look forward to Mondays all week long.
Because Monday is garbage day! I go outside and drag the trash cans around to the curb, as an
air of festivity fills the air. I wave to neighbors who, in gaily colored pajamas or mumus also drag
their cans to the curb. It's sort of like a really trashy block party, but without polka music. This
morning was no different, and there was a feeling of jubilee in the air as neighbors turned out in
their finest lounge wear before the truck came through.

Ah, it's the simple things in life!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

JamesB

Howdy Folks!
My other vice is metal detecting. It is actually a huge part of why I got interested in guns to start with.
I often have quite a bit of gold and silver on my person, and figured one of these days, somebody'd want
the fruits of my labor more than they ought and I might need to dissaude them.

Anyhow, I decided to sell a few pieces of gold I've found in the past few months so I went to Arvada to
visit a jeweler who has always treated me fairly. I walked in with my Ruger P94 .40 cal holstered on my
hip and waited for the man to deal with customers ahead of me. After about 20 minutes, my turn rolled
around and we did the transaction. I walked out a few minutes later with $180 bucks in my pocket and
without any fuss from him or other customers about my pistol.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Somehow I expected a much different ending to this story. Ahh the curse of seeing the world through the eyes of previous experience.

Happy everything went well and so smoothly for you. Thanks for the enjoyable read.

M-Taliesin

Sure sounds like I'm missing out on something having to drag my trash to the back alley and toss it in the dumpster!

Howdy Lockster!
Oh, yeah, for sure! The only time I see most of my neighbors is on Monday mornings when we drag out our trash.
Why, some of us will even go out after getting it to the curb just to linger in the moment with a cup of coffee in
hand and watch others come out to do their own chore. The warmth of the rising sun, the birds chirping merrily at
the start of a new day, the neighborhood alive with folks in their brightly colored sleepwear bringing their cans to
the curb, the diffusion of sunlight through the fuzzy slippers on their feet! All of it makes for a moment of
merriment before the labors of the day commence in earnest. Throw in a hearty "Good Morning!" and a smile and
wave of the hand, and magic happens.

It is a tranquil interlude infused with a mellow festivity that comes only once a week when we join together in
common purpose of taking out the trash!

Can't hardly beat it!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

MKEgal

Would you please send a link to this thread, & the contact info for that jeweler, to the OCDO user roberthaackdiamonds? [Real name is Bret.]

He owns a jewelry store in the Milwaukee area & has been making a fuss on the news, & facebook, & OCDO about how to deal with our new cc law.

Thing is, there are OCers (here on OCDO even) who used to patronize his store while armed.
Now that he's all concerned about lawful citizens being able to carry without being seen (starting 01NOV), suddenly it's a problem, so he's posted his store (& is upset that we say we'll respect his wishes & not shop there).

And he even admits it won't stop the criminals. :banghead:
Maybe if he hears from someone in another state, in his same position, MAYBE he'll change his position.

Gunslinger

Oh, and it is Monday! I love Mondays! I look forward to Mondays all week long.
Because Monday is garbage day! I go outside and drag the trash cans around to the curb, as an
air of festivity fills the air. I wave to neighbors who, in gaily colored pajamas or mumus also drag
their cans to the curb. It's sort of like a really trashy block party, but without polka music. This
morning was no different, and there was a feeling of jubilee in the air as neighbors turned out in
their finest lounge wear before the truck came through.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin[/QUOTE]

You can come to my house Wed mornings and put my garbage cans out, too. No charge.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Thing is, there are OCers (here on OCDO even) who used to patronize his store while armed.
Now that he's all concerned about lawful citizens being able to carry without being seen (starting 01NOV), suddenly it's a problem, so he's posted his store (& is upset that we say we'll respect his wishes & not shop there).

Why, that's admirably considerate of you and the others, MKEgal! After all, his store, his rules. Wouldn't want to give any business to someone so opposed to the routine exercise of someone's Constitutional rights.

And he even admits it won't stop the criminals. :banghead: Maybe if he hears from someone in another state, in his same position, MAYBE he'll change his position.

I doubt it. If they fail logic 101 when it's in their best financial interest to do otherwise, better examples rarely make much difference.

M-Taliesin

You can come to my house Wed mornings and put my garbage cans out, too. No charge.

Howdy Gunslinger!
Tempting offer. But your town is a far way from here in Aurora.
Besides, I don't know whether your neighborhood is festive on garbage day like ours.
Do they wear fuzzy slippers to drag out their cans?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin