Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Told not to carry again in his store...

Thumbs down Told not to carry again in his store...

Went to Cracker Barrel this morning - 7-12-11, as my wife and I have done for almost 4 years now. We ordered, ate, and got our check. All of the sudden, a man in a blue shirt and radio on his side walked really close to me and said in a calm and low voice - "I don't know if you are law enforcement, but if you are not, our store policy is no guns." I did not confirm nor deny the law enforcement challenge, however, I told him that he would loose my business because of it. This time around, it was almost like they were trying to rush us out because we got our check JUST as we were finishing up, and as we left to pay, the blue shirt man (Known as B.J.) followed closely, as if we were criminals.

Cracker Barrel Store #239
    Jul 12, 11 @ 7:44 AM
    Check closed at 8:10 AM $23.63

No more from us - Cracker Barrel!

We had several pages of a thread about the Crackerr Barrel change of policy. Sorry you missed it - it might have saved you some inconvenience.

I do note how you were not informed of the "No Guns" policy until after you had eaten and paid your bill. Some of were more fortunate and were informed just as our food arrived. Yes, we got up, left a tip, and walked out with the food iuntouched and unpaid for. Heck, the manager told us to leave, so we did so.

stay safe.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    I (unfortunately) ate at the Cracker Barrel in Waynesboro last week and there were no signs or indications that my lawfully concealed handgun wasn't welcome there. Oh well. Color me "informed" now.

And I say unfortunately because my cheeseburger revisited me in a rather violent manner later in the evening. My chest still hurts from getting sick.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

I quit going there after reading about their discrimination. The 'boycott' isn't just in VA. Abuse like this should affect the entire chain.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Founder's Club Member
    I've not given Cracker Barrel the chance to offend me personally after offending Grapeshot, Skidmark and the various others who were regular visitors. Unless I hear otherwise about their firearm policy I might go to my dying day without spending money there again. That's a shame for them because I probably could get another 50 years of use out of this ol' body.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    I've not given Cracker Barrel the chance to offend me personally after offending Grapeshot, Skidmark and the various others who were regular visitors. Unless I hear otherwise about their firearm policy I might go to my dying day without spending money there again. That's a shame for them because I probably could get another 50 years of use out of this ol' body.
    You have not missed a thing by not going to the one on Wards Road.

Thumbs down

Their food is mediocre and their service is slightly better than at McDonald's.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    And I say unfortunately because my cheeseburger revisited me in a rather violent manner later in the evening. My chest still hurts from getting sick.
    Next time maybe you'll find some good BBQ instead....

I've never had issues at any of their locations, and am not sure which location the OP was at.

However, I have found that the quality of their food has declined markedly (they used to be pretty good), so that just gives me one more reason to punt them from my list.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Next time maybe you'll find some good BBQ instead....
    Trick response - there is no such thing as "good BBQ".
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

I believe I went back in Feb. There was no signs.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    I think this is exactly the right attitude to have. My local Cracker Barrel isn't posted buy there is no way I would carry there now.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Trick response - there is no such thing as "good BBQ".
    Statements like that are grounds to officially ban you from NC...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Nothing lost

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post

In the past I used to go there at least weekly, some times more often. The food was good for the price and we followed a favorite waitress from another chain.

Between the anti attitude, low quality of food served and the deranged racetrack waitress system they implemented I refuse to return.

I complained to the manager about the changes and he just shrugged. I congratulated him on the loss of a regular customer whose wife usually spent 3 times as much in their store as we did on food.

Places like that don’t need or want my money!

damn... the one restaurant chain I enjoyed eating at when I'm back east......
    Last edited by Bill Starks; 07-13-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joeamt View Post

Went to Cracker Barrel this morning - 7-12-11, as my wife and I have done for almost 4 years now. We ordered, ate, and got our check. All of the sudden, a man in a blue shirt and radio on his side walked really close to me and said in a calm and low voice - "I don't know if you are law enforcement, but if you are not, our store policy is no guns." I did not confirm nor deny the law enforcement challenge, however, I told him that he would loose my business because of it. This time around, it was almost like they were trying to rush us out because we got our check JUST as we were finishing up, and as we left to pay, the blue shirt man (Known as B.J.) followed closely, as if we were criminals.

No more from us - Cracker Barrel!
    Was there a sign posted at the entrance that indicated "no guns allowed" or something of that nature?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Statements like that are grounds to officially ban you from NC...
    Memphians would "ride you out of town on a rail" if they heard you make that statement!

mattwestm
    Have we determined if this is just a Virginia thing or Cracker Barrel corporate? I've carried in my local CB plenty of times and no one has said a word. Also, do all stores have this policy or can individual managers adopt these policies?

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Hmmm... I have OC'ed at the Cracker Barrel in Janesvilles, WI with about 25 fellow OC'ers just under a year ago and at the one in Kenosha, WI a couple months ago with my wife. No mention.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    I've OC'd in the Cracker Barrel in Manassas just outside of the battlefield park and have never had a problem. However, I only OC'd into the store part of the business and not into the eating area. There are a LOT of out-of-state visitors at this particular restaurant since it is so close to hotels and the battlefield. Just for kicks, I think the next time I am in that area, I'll stop by and see if there are any signs posted.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    Have we determined if this is just a Virginia thing or Cracker Barrel corporate? I've carried in my local CB plenty of times and no one has said a word. Also, do all stores have this policy or can individual managers adopt these policies?
    No this is not just a Virginia thing as I've read about armed customers being asked to leave at stores in Tennessee and Kentucky as well. There may be other incidents of this occuring as well elsewhere of which I'm unaware. There are no signs posted so unless some unknowing person happens to pick the wrong store, they'll never have a clue they're walking into enemy territory.

[QUOTE=skidmark;1572052]We had several pages of a thread about the Crackerr Barrel change of policy. Sorry you missed it - it might have saved you some inconvenience.

Whoah! I sure missed that thread. We go to the CB in Winchester and Martinsburg, though we are not regulars: just once a month or so. Never had a problem. If they chase me out, I hope that I have the opportunity to leave my food on the table without paying for it.

Seems as if this falls under the category of denying one his civil rights, but what do I know.

Anybody ever tried something like this?

"Mr. Manager, just to be clear, I will always be carrying for my own self-defense, and that of my family. Are you asking me to never eat here again? Not a problem if that's what you want, I just thought in today's economy you might not be so quick to kick your regular paying customers out the door..."

ETA: So many of these folks seem to think it's no big deal to just leave it in the car... they don't have a clue how stupid that is.

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 07-13-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    Agreed, they are a poor excuse for southern food, a pale imitation at best. I'd rather eat in a local diner anyday.
    Since I heard about this, I stopped going to Cracker Barrel up in Winchester and have found several nice diners within a mile or two of the same exit .

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Anybody ever tried something like this?

"Mr. Manager, just to be clear, I will always be carrying for my own self-defense, and that of my family. Are you asking me to never eat here again? Not a problem if that's what you want, I just thought in today's economy you might not be so quick to kick your regular paying customers out the door..."

ETA: So many of these folks seem to think it's no big deal to just leave it in the car... they don't have a clue how stupid that is.

TFred
    That reminds me that I need to send a thank you note to Cracker Barrel management for chasing me away with their policy, because I have found a number of local eateries nearby with better food at a better price.

You would think with the economy the way it is they would not want to help the competition so much, but it was nice of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast