• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Told not to carry again in his store...

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Have we determined if this is just a Virginia thing or Cracker Barrel corporate? I've carried in my local CB plenty of times and no one has said a word. Also, do all stores have this policy or can individual managers adopt these policies?

No this is not just a Virginia thing as I've read about armed customers being asked to leave at stores in Tennessee and Kentucky as well. There may be other incidents of this occuring as well elsewhere of which I'm unaware. There are no signs posted so unless some unknowing person happens to pick the wrong store, they'll never have a clue they're walking into enemy territory.

nemo

We had several pages of a thread about the Crackerr Barrel change of policy. Sorry you missed it - it might have saved you some inconvenience.

Whoah! I sure missed that thread. We go to the CB in Winchester and Martinsburg, though we are not regulars: just once a month or so. Never had a problem. If they chase me out, I hope that I have the opportunity to leave my food on the table without paying for it.

Seems as if this falls under the category of denying one his civil rights, but what do I know.

TFred

Anybody ever tried something like this?

"Mr. Manager, just to be clear, I will always be carrying for my own self-defense, and that of my family. Are you asking me to never eat here again? Not a problem if that's what you want, I just thought in today's economy you might not be so quick to kick your regular paying customers out the door..."

ETA: So many of these folks seem to think it's no big deal to just leave it in the car... they don't have a clue how stupid that is.

TFred

Last edited:

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
Their food is mediocre and their service is slightly better than at McDonald's.

Agreed, they are a poor excuse for southern food, a pale imitation at best. I'd rather eat in a local diner anyday.
Since I heard about this, I stopped going to Cracker Barrel up in Winchester and have found several nice diners within a mile or two of the same exit .

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
Anybody ever tried something like this?

"Mr. Manager, just to be clear, I will always be carrying for my own self-defense, and that of my family. Are you asking me to never eat here again? Not a problem if that's what you want, I just thought in today's economy you might not be so quick to kick your regular paying customers out the door..."

ETA: So many of these folks seem to think it's no big deal to just leave it in the car... they don't have a clue how stupid that is.

TFred

That reminds me that I need to send a thank you note to Cracker Barrel management for chasing me away with their policy, because I have found a number of local eateries nearby with better food at a better price.

You would think with the economy the way it is they would not want to help the competition so much, but it was nice of them.

nemo

Since I heard about this, I stopped going to Cracker Barrel up in Winchester and have found several nice diners within a mile or two of the same exit .

Well? Don't keep us in suspense: inquiring minds want to know!

Which?

Where?

TIA.

carsontech

Activist Member
My wife and I heard about this and stopped going to Cracker Barrel, and we don't even live in an OC state. We do open carry anytime we're out of state, though.

I had a discussion with some local 2A/Firearm-Enthusiasts, I got this as a response from one of them, several others actually seemed to think the same way:

Cracker Barrel has the unfortunate happenstance to be the current whipping boy for internet gun nerd rage. This, too, shall pass. I'd prefer that any attack or slander against them were legitimate, i.e. a mention of how sub-par their food and service is along with the offense of having to walk through an overpriced, touristy crap-shop of worthless trinkets before you can even be served or exit.

After reading that, I was very disappointed. After hearing some more discussions from some of the same users, it sounded to me like they really wanted freedom of carry for everyone, but didn't want to help in the "fight" to do anything about it..

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I had a discussion with some local 2A/Firearm-Enthusiasts, I got this as a response from one of them, several others actually seemed to think the same way:

After reading that, I was very disappointed. After hearing some more discussions from some of the same users, it sounded to me like they really wanted freedom of carry for everyone, but didn't want to help in the "fight" to do anything about it..

This upsets a lot of people when I say it, but it's true.
Just because someone owns a gun, they aren't necessarily a friend.
Just because someone claims to be a 2A/Firearm-Enthusiasts, doesn't mean they are.

This state is full of newly born gun owners who think it's a game. Look at Richmondguns sometime. Gun nerds!
We have Gun Nerds, CHiPpers, Blackshirts, Wannabe cops...a whole kettle of people who in essence say the same thing that Lori Haas and Goddard spew. "We're not anti gun, we just think everyone should be licensed".

You can dress a pig in anything you want. It's still a pig!:(

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
Just because someone claims to be a 2A/Firearm-Enthusiasts, doesn't mean they are.

This state is full of newly born gun owners who think it's a game. Look at Richmondguns sometime. Gun nerds!
We have Gun Nerds, CHiPpers, Blackshirts, Wannabe cops...a whole kettle of people who in essence say the same thing that Lori Haas and Goddard spew. "We're not anti gun, we just think everyone should be licensed".

+1000 on that one Peter.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member

+1000 on that one Peter.

You know what though? Sometimes they just don't know any better yet. Its not a viewpoint that has ever occurred to them or even even been seriously mentioned to them.

I know it was not long ago, maybe 10 years, when I thought Virginia's 1 gun a month law, was an annoyance but probably OK. And maybe 15 years ago I was probably with them on licensing, partly because back then I bought the lie that the 2nd amendment was not "incorporated" like the other rights from the Bill of Rights.

Since then I have come to understand that its not a right that was given us - it is a fundamental right, the right to defend ourselves and our families. People died to guarantee that right as surely as all our others. It can't be taken away because it makes someone "nervous" or because guns are "scary" and even "dangerous". I shake my head when I see how naive I was, on a lot of counts not just with gun rights.

Give me a break though, I was raised by a strong anti and spent some years in college up north in Anti-land. But my folks have come around now somewhat too, and both at least own guns.

And give these other folks a break. the first thing they should understand is that the Antis don't just want our guns, they want their guns too - this has been proven time and again, especially in the UK and Australia. They can learn, and can be allies if we don't alienate them. They need to learn whats up and what's what, yes absolutely. But some of them will come around.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You know what though? Sometimes they just don't know any better yet. Its not a viewpoint that has ever occurred to them or even even been seriously mentioned to them.

That's very true Skeptic.
I'm just pointing out that ownership does not a brother make. Far too many of us feel that it does.
That's extremely important to understand.

Bringing them around to our way of thinking is a job many of us do very well. Unfortunately, I'm not well suited to that job:lol: .....but I've gotten better at being quiet while those diplomats in our ranks, do their thing.

TFred

That's very true Skeptic.
I'm just pointing out that ownership does not a brother make. Far too many of us feel that it does.
That's extremely important to understand.

Bringing them around to our way of thinking is a job many of us do very well. Unfortunately, I'm not well suited to that job:lol: .....but I've gotten better at being quiet while those diplomats in our ranks, do their thing.
"First do no harm"... recognizing one's own strengths and weaknesses, and adjusting one's actions appropriately, is the mark of a true statesman!

TFred

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

You are dead on correct with this one. I have run into so many people over the years who shoot skeet or trap, do some target practice with rifle and handgun, and hunt and still manage to say things like, "What does anyone want with an 'assault rifle' or so many handguns or semi-autos or whatever". The fact that they misuse the term "assault rifle" is bad enough but then to make statements like this makes me wonder if they really understand what this is all about. It's as though they are perfectly comfortable living in their own little world doing what they do without considering that we are all in this together.

Your final sentence, "We're not anti gun, we just think everyone should be licensed" is something I have heard in one form or another from a number of "gun" people. The first thing that comes to mind when I hear something like this is they must have slept through their high school world history class.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
And give these other folks a break. the first thing they should understand is that the Antis don't just want our guns, they want their guns too - this has been proven time and again, especially in the UK and Australia. They can learn, and can be allies if we don't alienate them. They need to learn whats up and what's what, yes absolutely. But some of them will come around.

The problem with this is that while they are fence sitters or worse, anti's, they can and do do a lot of damage which once done, is almost never reversed. They will look the other way or perhaps support "sensible gun laws" which only wind up adding more restrictions and removing more of our rights. Later IF they see the light and realize things, it's too late. The damage has been done and put in place.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
The problem with this is that while they are fence sitters or worse, anti's, they can and do do a lot of damage which once done, is almost never reversed. They will look the other way or perhaps support "sensible gun laws" which only wind up adding more restrictions and removing more of our rights. Later IF they see the light and realize things, it's too late. The damage has been done and put in place.

Not saying they dont have a problem or need education, pronto. But there is a good way and a bad way to do it. Do it the wrong way and you have made a permanent enemy out of a potential ally.

Appealing to their enlightened self interest is a good way to sway them but even then it doesn't come automagically. Planting a seed is better than building a wall.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member

Well? Don't keep us in suspense: inquiring minds want to know!

Which?

Where?

TIA.

Two places in particular. Keep in mind they aren't chains or have the sparkling corporate standards exteriors, but they both serve all day breakfast and were both good.

One is Papermill Place. It is at 2214 Papermill Rd which is just off South Loudon (which if off Jubal Early Drive, west of I81) I OC'ed there and didn't get so much as a stare except when I took pics with my new Droid phone. Of course my kids attract at lot more attention than I do. They are open from about 6 to 8 Monday through Sat, and part of the day on Sunday http://www.papermillplacerestaurant.com

Another is in a new place in an old free standing place that was previous Chinese restaurant (and reminds me of an old Golden Skillet) . It is called the Valley Avenue Diner 1928 Valley Ave. I beleive they are open 24 hours a day but they dont have a website so I can't confirm that. Valley Ave is basically one light past South Loudon on Jubal Early Drive, so it is not too far from Papermill Place. I did not OC here partly because it was raining cats and dogs and was more concerned about getting the kids in before we were all drenched.

justin0829

We had several pages of a thread about the Crackerr Barrel change of policy. Sorry you missed it - it might have saved you some inconvenience.

I do note how you were not informed of the "No Guns" policy until after you had eaten and paid your bill. Some of were more fortunate and were informed just as our food arrived. Yes, we got up, left a tip, and walked out with the food iuntouched and unpaid for. Heck, the manager told us to leave, so we did so.

stay safe.

Kind of late to this discussion, but I figured I should point out that Cracker Barrel (as do a lot of other restaurants) make their waitresses or waiters pay for food not paid for by customers. Not sure if the manager would comp the food given the situation but there are some incredibly dumb and worthless individuals running our restaurants these days. My wife worked at the one in Hampton as recently as Nov of last year and I know their policy on this only because of her. More recently she worked at "Cheddars Casual Cafe", and the persons in charge of that place were worse than at Cracker Barrel. One of the head managers had only graduated to his position from a general kitchen cook there where he also sold just about every form of illicit drug you can think of. I personally have discontinued patronage at Cracker Barrel for their anti-gun position and at Cheddars because I refuse to give my money to people that I know personally to be imbeciles. Thankfully she no longer works at either of them. This is just something to be aware of. I've found that in a lot of cases (not all) you're dealing with people who are about as useful as a wet sock. This seems to be more prevalent at "chain" restaurants probably because they come with "cookie cutter" instructions and have an established name drawing business allowing stupidity to breed fairly easily. Local restaurants seem to be better from my experience, and who ever the "boss" is also owns the place so they have a lot of incentives to not be a complete moron. Anyways, just my thoughts....