• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan's "Parking Lots Are NOT Pistol Free Zones"

N8ZCary

After looking through the forums, reading up on Michigan's OC/CPL Law... Can anyone tell me where Michigan Law stands concerning concealed weapon locked in your personal vehicle on ones employer's property? Or does Michigan's "Parking Lots Are NOT Pistol Free Zones" apply here too?

WARCHILD

You are still bound by your employer's "private property" rules.
The cites you are looking for do not directly govern parking lots in all circumstances.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Some states include private property that is posted as GFSZs; ie having a firearm there is considered a violation of the concealed carry law. Some states have a section of their law stating that employers can't prohibit firearms from employees' cars parked at work; Michigan has neither. Therefore, as Warchild said, you could be subject to an employer's rules but would not be violating Michigan's CPL law.

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
After looking through the forums, reading up on Michigan's OC/CPL Law... Can anyone tell me where Michigan Law stands concerning concealed weapon locked in your personal vehicle on ones employer's property? Or does Michigan's "Parking Lots Are NOT Pistol Free Zones" apply here too?

If you are using the concealed carry statute that mentions parking lots, remember that only applies to a CPL holder and only on the premises listed in the statute.

And if you are not a CPL holder parking lots are PFZ in the enumerated places in 750.234d.

Last edited:

Michigander

Assuming that we're talking about lawful carry per both state and federal laws, do keep in mind that trunks and glove boxes can malfunction and open, or be crashed into and pop open. Under the seat storage can be dangerous too if you get sloppy and leave a corner poking out, which ends up being easy to accidentally do if you do this hundreds of times. If you're going to risk your job to have a gun near you, I'd at least suggest going all the way and carrying it. Not much sense in it otherwise, unless maybe if your job is a very safe place but your commute is dangerous.

The only way I'd bother with a half measure would be to park off grounds to at least preserve your job if your gun gets seen.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

no such thing as safe places. Churches schools and police stations come to mind, there have been shootings at all 3.

Isn't it odd how many shootings occur in places where guns are prohibited? Police stations are obviously the outlier here but with how many criminals hate cops it doesn't surprise me.

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Isn't it odd how many shootings occur in places where guns are prohibited? Police stations are obviously the outlier here but with how many criminals hate cops it doesn't surprise me.

But even in the rare occurrence of shootings in PD stations, generally the kill count is very small as many people there are armed and can fire back, unlike gun free zones.

xmanhockey7

But even in the rare occurrence of shootings in PD stations, generally the kill count is very small as many people there are armed and can fire back, unlike gun free zones.

Very true idk y I haven't thought of it like that before.