• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A quick question

DrakeZ07

I'll be going to Chicago to visit an old friend who just got back from a tour in Afghanistan, and I had a question I thought best to ask in my state's forum.

In y'alls opinion, would it be best to drive to Chicago, enduring a 8hr drive, but being able to keep 'protection' in case of encounters if/when I get totally lost and end up in the bad side of town? or would it be best to fly up there, and rely on public transportation and law enforcement to keep my redneck rear out of trouble? I've never been to a city bigger than Lexington, once or twice driving through Louisville, and that's it.

Furthermore; anyone happen to know if Illinois recognizes a Ky CCW?

Thanks, and I would have asked the Illinois folk, but I like keeping to my own state.

CharleyCherokee

A recent Il supreme court decision forces Il to recognize Ky CDWL as equal to an Il foid card. I would read the IL law VERY carefully as their gun laws are very strict and could make you a felon easily. My understanding is that it either has to be unloaded or not easily within reach... IE in a closed container well away from you. But as I said look into as I'm probably about 70% certain on that.

langzaiguy

As far as I know, neither OC or CC is legal in IL. There may be rural parts of IL that allow carry, but obviously Chicago is not one of them. I cannot advise you to take your gun and break the law. I have CC'd in Chicago before, simply because I'd rather end up in jail than dead if I needed it. Despite their fascist, un-American stance on rights, I do enjoy visiting--plenty of fun things to do!

flb_78

NO, no no no no no no no no...

Handguns are banned in Chicago entirely.

Illinois has no LEGAL form of carrying a loaded gun.

Gun must be unloaded and encased in the ENTIRE STATE.

Im a former resident of Illinois with family who still live there.

You should take the money instead and offer to fly your friend here.

neuroblades

NO, no no no no no no no no...

Handguns are banned in Chicago entirely.

Illinois has no LEGAL form of carrying a loaded gun.

Gun must be unloaded and encased in the ENTIRE STATE.

Im a former resident of Illinois with family who still live there.

You should take the money instead and offer to fly your friend here.

I have to agree with flb_78 on this one though it is a bit of a weord way around. *LOL* If he's willing to fly down, once he gets settled in with his folks and family, I'd just offer to fly him down to Kentucky so he can fully experience and enjoy all the FREEDOm that he has been fighting hard for. He can bring his weapon(s) down and he can be here and shoot till his hearts contend, though most vets that are coming out-of-country have had more tahn enough "shooting" to do them for awhile. But still he can come down and get to experience what REAL FREEDOM is all about, as opposed to in the Republic of Chicago!

langzaiguy

Normally that would be my attitude as well. Here's my logic, take it or leave it. If a business is unfriendly to liberty, I'll simply take my business elsewhere. I'll even let them know why they lost my business. Cities, on the other hand, don't have good substitutes or "competitors". There's no substitute for the Field Museum, Navy Pier, Wrigley Field, etc. You'll be a better person for going. It's not ideal, and it's a trade-off, but I would argue that it's a trade-off worth making. Same with Washington, DC. They're just as restrictive on liberty (ironically enough), yet there are so many benefits of visiting.