Thread: Fairfield CT Pistol Permit : 6-8 MONTH WAITING PERIOD!

Fairfield CT Pistol Permit : 6-8 MONTH WAITING PERIOD!

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and new to firearms all together. Back in mid April I took the required Connecticut Pistol Permit/NRA Basic Pistol Safety Certification course at the Bridgeport Shooting range. From there I went to the Fairfield police department and got my application. I submitted the application on Saturday May 14th, was finger printed, and sent on my way.

I was told during the course that standard wait time was 6-8 weeks, and saw today that I had waited longer. I called the Fairfield Police dispatch number to inquire on the status of the permit and was told that my town had 6-8 MONTH waiting period!

I am law abiding citizen with no criminal record, it seem absurd to wait this long. After doing some research I found there was a law in the books requiring the wait on CT permit cannot go over 8 weeks but I don't want to stir up trouble with my local PD.

Has anyone went through the same experience? Please help!

Welcome to OCDO!! If the limit is truly 8 weeks, I wouldn't worry about causing a problem with your PD. I would be calling everyday until I got my permit. 6-8 months is ridiculous.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by AR15DownRange View Post
    After doing some research I found there was a law in the books requiring the wait on CT permit cannot go over 8 weeks but I don't want to stir up trouble with my local PD.
    Why on earth would you not want to stir up trouble with people breaking the law and depriving you of your rights?

Waiting beyond the 8 weeks is grounds for an appeal with the BFPE. There are people like Kix and Ed Peruta here that know way more about this process than I do that can help you get this all squared up.

If you have the time, there is a CCDL meeting tonight where many people get help with these issues.

http://ccdl.us/aboutus/monthly-calen...s/2011/07/12/-

AR:

Once you hit 8 weeks, you can call and ask what the status is. Get the name of the person you speak with at that time.

Contact the BFPE (Board of Firearms Permit Examiners) and tell them you were told them that you were being denied based on time.

They can either contact them and find out what the issue is or just give you a hearing. If the hearing comes up before you get your permit, then they get dragged down to Middletown to attend the hearing and deal with it there.

I've outlined many of the issues and contact info at www.ctpistolpermitissues.com

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.