• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We were all over police radio ..Kent Cornucopia

DEROS72

I Had donated some art to the VA to aution to benefit veterans services.So last friday Nick and I went down and walked the street fair.We had some looks here and there but no hassle from Kent police.However at one point a volunteer officer said..I have to ask ...Who are you guys?We explained we represent open carry and a little about it at which point he told me we were all over the police net at the fair.I found that amusing.
So the next day I was at the VA boothe helping promote vet services and 2 Kent cops walked up and seemingly wanted to talk about my art.One said he was ex Marine.They never mentioned my sidearm but when I made the comment that the way things are going in this country we better stock up on beans and bullets one of the officers noticed my bio sheet with all my contact info on it grabbed it and walked off.
So who knows????
For the most part I carried 2 days a the fair and had no issues.I did have several ask about our gun rights and passed out many pamphlets.

Also start checking the Willow lake thread I will be posting updates now as we get closer.I have posted a pic of the grand prize BUT there are other surprises this year.!!!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Very cool. It's great that even though they may have talked about you on the radio they decided not to bother you. It's also good you were able to educate a good number of people about OC. Artwork looks cool too.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Friday night

Jim and I met up with Spyder tattoo (and family) and wandered through the fair. We had several vendors and regular citizens ask us about OC and shake our hands and give us encouragement. We managed to make our way over to the law enforcement/emergency services area and check out the SWAT vehicle and chatted with an officer with a snake around his neck. We walked by many LEO and even had a couple on a golf cart check us out. I overheard them say something like "there they are". All in all it was a nice time with no LEO contact and no issues. Kudos again to Spyder tattoo and others who a few years ago underwent LEO detentions.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Hmmmmm. Police collecting intelligence on law-abiding citizens exercising constitutional rights. Hmmmmm.

Didn't some cops get outed for infiltrating a civil-rights group in Washington state some time back? I know it happened in a few places. Baltimore was one--death penalty protest group. I can't recall for sure if Washington state was another.

amlevin

Sounds like this event was staffed by Volunteer or Reserve Officers that may not be as up to date on OC legality. Based on comment by OP, I would guess that this is why there was so much conversation on their radio "net".

In many areas events like this are the one or two "big deals" for reserve officers and the unarmed "Explorer Cops".

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Sounds like this event was staffed by Volunteer or Reserve Officers that may not be as up to date on OC legality. Based on comment by OP, I would guess that this is why there was so much conversation on their radio "net".

In many areas events like this are the one or two "big deals" for reserve officers and the unarmed "Explorer Cops".

No, there were more regular officers (although they could be reserve) as there were the Volunteer security or whatever they were. There were officers from multi-jurisdictions as well. So lot's of overtime being paid to walk a fair. I am sure that the Russian mafia types came out later in the day and the gang-bang wannabee's were deterred.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
No, there were more regular officers (although they could be reserve) as there were the Volunteer security or whatever they were. There were officers from multi-jurisdictions as well. So lot's of overtime being paid to walk a fair. I am sure that the Russian mafia types came out later in the day and the gang-bang wannabee's were deterred.

What!?! Has your state turned to an internally federalized model? The United Counties, Cities, and Municipalities of Washington? :p :)

trevorthebusdriver

I went to the Kent fair on sunday night with the family(CC since wife is gun nazi) Always carry there. Three years ago a kid was shot and killed about a block away at the Arby's during the fair.