Thread: NH Reciprocity

NH Reciprocity

Does anyone know who It would be appropriate to send a letter to regarding the reciprocity between Maine and NH? since VT is a constitutional state, It would be quite nice to have the states we boarder agree to reciprocity. Has anyone tried this in the past? what were your responses?

Quote Originally Posted by matthewg123 View Post
    Does anyone know who It would be appropriate to send a letter to regarding the reciprocity between Maine and NH? since VT is a constitutional state, It would be quite nice to have the states we boarder agree to reciprocity. Has anyone tried this in the past? what were your responses?
    I would start by contacting your state representatives. They can give you information and if they are any good they'll contact their colleagues in New Hampshire and Maine and try to have them introduce legislation granting reciprocity. I think that is the best way to get things rolling.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

The Maine Legislature and Governor put that in motion last month.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

Quote Originally Posted by Maine CWP Training View Post
    The Maine Legislature and Governor put that in motion last month.
    does anyone have a link to follow or a bill number to read up on?

Will dig it up soon
    Last edited by Maine CWP Training; 07-13-2011 at 04:19 PM.
    Paul J. Mattson
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

"When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

The response that those of us who inquired during the Baldacci administration received was that several states would not honor a Maine permit unless or until Maine's statutes are revised to explicitly codify training and background check requirements.

As it was told then, the opinion of the other states is that Maine's statute has too much wiggle room for the local issuing authority to waive training and/or to not use a Federal database for a background check.

The other side of the coin is that Maine refused to accept permits from states that didn't allow the issuing authority to evaluate "moral worthiness" based on anything other than criminal convictions.
    Last edited by Jeff_JMB; 07-13-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Wow..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_JMB View Post
    The response that those of us who inquired during the Baldacci administration received was that several states would not honor a Maine permit unless or until Maine's statutes are revised to explicitly codify training and background check requirements.

As it was told then, the opinion of the other states is that Maine's statute has too much wiggle room for the local issuing authority to waive training and/or to not use a Federal database for a background check.

The other side of the coin is that Maine refused to accept permits from states that didn't allow the issuing authority to evaluate "moral worthiness" based on anything other than criminal convictions.
    Personally, if all it took was another background check, I wouldn't have minded in the least. I get one every time I buy a new gun! (not to mention i carry HAZMAT cargo for work and have a TWIC card). I cant pass gas without some sort of agency smelling it.

This is amusing because I've specifically asked multiple police departments if they will allow demonstration of firearm safety in lieu of an official training certificate, and the response has always been negative. The de facto state of the law is that only a military DD214 or a training certificate from a recognized school will suffice.

Federal background checks have, similarly, been the status quo.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

Departments opted out as the liability is enormous.
    Paul J. Mattson
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

Quote Originally Posted by Maine CWP Training View Post
    Departments opted out as the liability is enormous.
    Unsurprising, and with the current state of the law difficult to disagree with. The irony is that the notional option to accept a demonstration is hurting our reciprocity, but is not used in practice.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

So then what is the issue between ME and PA I wonder?