• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NH Reciprocity

matthewg123

Does anyone know who It would be appropriate to send a letter to regarding the reciprocity between Maine and NH? since VT is a constitutional state, It would be quite nice to have the states we boarder agree to reciprocity. Has anyone tried this in the past? what were your responses?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Does anyone know who It would be appropriate to send a letter to regarding the reciprocity between Maine and NH? since VT is a constitutional state, It would be quite nice to have the states we boarder agree to reciprocity. Has anyone tried this in the past? what were your responses?

I would start by contacting your state representatives. They can give you information and if they are any good they'll contact their colleagues in New Hampshire and Maine and try to have them introduce legislation granting reciprocity. I think that is the best way to get things rolling.

Jeff_JMB

The response that those of us who inquired during the Baldacci administration received was that several states would not honor a Maine permit unless or until Maine's statutes are revised to explicitly codify training and background check requirements.

As it was told then, the opinion of the other states is that Maine's statute has too much wiggle room for the local issuing authority to waive training and/or to not use a Federal database for a background check.

The other side of the coin is that Maine refused to accept permits from states that didn't allow the issuing authority to evaluate "moral worthiness" based on anything other than criminal convictions.

Last edited:

matthewg123

Wow..

The response that those of us who inquired during the Baldacci administration received was that several states would not honor a Maine permit unless or until Maine's statutes are revised to explicitly codify training and background check requirements.

As it was told then, the opinion of the other states is that Maine's statute has too much wiggle room for the local issuing authority to waive training and/or to not use a Federal database for a background check.

The other side of the coin is that Maine refused to accept permits from states that didn't allow the issuing authority to evaluate "moral worthiness" based on anything other than criminal convictions.

Personally, if all it took was another background check, I wouldn't have minded in the least. I get one every time I buy a new gun! (not to mention i carry HAZMAT cargo for work and have a TWIC card). I cant pass gas without some sort of agency smelling it.

ep0k

This is amusing because I've specifically asked multiple police departments if they will allow demonstration of firearm safety in lieu of an official training certificate, and the response has always been negative. The de facto state of the law is that only a military DD214 or a training certificate from a recognized school will suffice.

Federal background checks have, similarly, been the status quo.

mrjam2jab

So then what is the issue between ME and PA I wonder?