Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: State Rep. Speaks Out Following 3-Year-Old’s Death

  1. #1
    Regular Member G22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    74

    Thumbs down State Rep. Speaks Out Following 3-Year-Old’s Death

    I posted this at MGO and realized that some here may not go on that forum, so here ya go:



    She also believes we need to rethink gun laws, like open carry.


    “I think a whole lot of things send bad messages to kids and that’s just one of them,” Stapleton added. “We need to reinvest in the basic moral fiber that all of us grew up with. And, that wasn’t carrying guns just, you know, out in the open.”

    http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/07/...ar-olds-death/

    State Rep. Maureen Stapleton:

    Office Address
    S588 House Office Building

    Mailing Address
    P.O. Box 30014
    Lansing, MI 48909-7514

    Phone: (517) 373-1008
    Fax: (517) 373-5995

    Toll-Free
    (855) 782-7304

    Email
    maureenstapleton@house.mi.gov

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    576
    Ya Ya she's right,
    i think all the police should be required to carry there weapons concealed,
    after all,
    *** think of the children.****

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eastpointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,440
    Representative Stapleton, I am interested in discussing your recent quote referencing the open carry of firearms.

    Quote:
    “I think a whole lot of things send bad messages to kids and that’s just one of them,” Stapleton added. “We need to reinvest in the basic moral fiber that all of us grew up with. And, that wasn’t carrying guns just, you know, out in the open.”

    This quote seems to indicate you would like to enact legislation that would ban the open carry of firearms in Michigan.*If this is the case, as a leader of a state wide organization created to promote open carry, *I would like the opportunity engage you in a civil discussion on the the topic.

    If I am misunderstanding your statement, please reply with a correction so I can relay the true meaning of your statement to my members.*

    Thank you for your time.*
    *
    Rob Harris
    Vice President
    Michigan Open Carry
    www.miopencarry.org
    586-913-1661

  4. #4
    Regular Member DanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Rob, thanks for following up on this quickly.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

    “He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,321
    wow, she took a shot at open carry? what did open carry have to do with the death? i would assume the perp had the gun hidden until he opened fire.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

  6. #6
    Regular Member DanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    what did open carry have to do with the death?
    Idiot politician + From Detroit = Blame anything except the real cause of problems.

    Like 2 + 2 = 4.

    Now you see what our OC brothers in the D fight every day. Master Control and Rick E. are my heroes!
    Last edited by DanM; 07-12-2011 at 10:04 PM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

    “He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

  7. #7
    Regular Member dukenukum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    270
    open carry sends the message to our kids that they don't have to be victims waiting for the government to protect them.
    Last edited by dukenukum; 07-13-2011 at 07:47 AM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    Representative Stapleton, I am interested in discussing your recent quote referencing the open carry of firearms.

    Quote:
    “I think a whole lot of things send bad messages to kids and that’s just one of them,” Stapleton added. “We need to reinvest in the basic moral fiber that all of us grew up with. And, that wasn’t carrying guns just, you know, out in the open.”

    This quote seems to indicate you would like to enact legislation that would ban the open carry of firearms in Michigan.*If this is the case, as a leader of a state wide organization created to promote open carry, *I would like the opportunity engage you in a civil discussion on the the topic.

    If I am misunderstanding your statement, please reply with a correction so I can relay the true meaning of your statement to my members.*

    Thank you for your time.*
    *
    Rob Harris
    Vice President
    Michigan Open Carry
    www.miopencarry.org
    586-913-1661
    I would be interested in hearing about the "logical leaps" she is making where the illegal use of a firearm somehow translates to the lawful carry of a firearm.

  9. #9
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Her live interview on Fox2, she also said that she has seen fellow members of the Michigan house OC in the State Building, and it upsets her.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  10. #10
    Regular Member G22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by eastmeyers View Post
    Her live interview on Fox2, she also said that she has seen fellow members of the Michigan house OC in the State Building, and it upsets her.
    Well, her irrational fear of legally carried firearms "upset's ME"... So were even!

  11. #11
    Regular Member dukenukum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by eastmeyers View Post
    Her live interview on Fox2, she also said that she has seen fellow members of the Michigan house OC in the State Building, and it upsets her.
    If that's the case maybe she should find a different place to live as freedom does not suit her.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by G22 View Post
    Well, her irrational fear of legally carried firearms "upset's ME"... So were even!
    That may be, but, that is why is paid my dues. It is to help this group to offset these silly people. To help people who are more articulate than I step up and communicate that we are not the bad guy.

  13. #13
    Regular Member usamarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    252
    Wow....that was pretty Busch League stuff right there...some girl gets shot by a drive by and shes talking about open carry?....wtf?...haha...Are the people in Detroit that retarded to elect fruit cakes like this? I bet if I got elected mayor in Detroit I could have strippers come to my mansion every night and nobody would think twice about it....haha

  14. #14
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by eastmeyers View Post
    Her live interview on Fox2, she also said that she has seen fellow members of the Michigan house OC in the State Building, and it upsets her.
    It's sad 1A and 2A upset her. She should move to Kalifornia.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  15. #15
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by usamarshal View Post
    Wow....that was pretty Busch League stuff right there...some girl gets shot by a drive by and shes talking about open carry?....wtf?...haha...Are the people in Detroit that retarded to elect fruit cakes like this? I bet if I got elected mayor in Detroit I could have strippers come to my mansion every night and nobody would think twice about it....haha
    Not sure if she is of "Detroit" -- but recall those people elected Kwame and if the state constitution allowed them, they'd elect him again.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  16. #16
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Not sure if she is of "Detroit" -- but recall those people elected Kwame and if the state constitution allowed them, they'd elect him again.
    She is, the 3yo that was killed, the shooting happened in "her district". I am going to go look for the video now.
    ETA: Couldn't find it, searched and searched, found two other video's on the site, but not the one interviewing Rep. Maureen Stapleton.
    Last edited by eastmeyers; 07-14-2011 at 10:33 AM.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  17. #17
    Regular Member Onnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybee, Michigan
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by dukenukum View Post
    If that's the case maybe she should find a different place to live as freedom does not suit her.
    I can think ok a few places she can live where OC is not legal, Illinois comes to mind....
    Maryland is another!

    Bye-Bye....See Ya..Dont let the door of freedom pop you in the backside!
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

    Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

  18. #18
    Regular Member Onnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybee, Michigan
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by usamarshal View Post
    Wow....that was pretty Busch League stuff right there...some girl gets shot by a drive by and shes talking about open carry?....wtf?...haha...Are the people in Detroit that retarded to elect fruit cakes like this? I bet if I got elected mayor in Detroit I could have strippers come to my mansion every night and nobody would think twice about it....haha
    Except maybe a jealous wife who maybe would have her bodyguards (@ city expense) teach her a lesson and take her to a suburban hospital!
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

    Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by dukenukum View Post
    open carry sends the message to our kids that they don't have to be victims waiting for the government to protect them.
    Well said.

    Duke Nukem: "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum."

    Duke Nukem: "I don't know who you are, where you're from, or what you want... but if you threaten my freedom, I'll kill you."

    Hail to the King, baby!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •