• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Training for Concealed Carry of NON Firearms

Da Po-lock

By the way I read it, you will need the permit to carry "Electric Weapons, Knives and Clubs"

Well all the focus seems to be on firearms training right ?

Where is there ANY Mention of training for Concealed Carry of NON Firearms ?

The "Qualifications" of DOJ approved trainers is all about firearms. All the training is geared toward it.
If someong wants to carry say a stun gun or even a knife, they will have to pay for and complete training for something they will never use, am I right ? There will probably be nothing of use to them and they will still have to sit through the training and get NOTHING about the weapon they choose to carry.

On the flip side, if there is such training for non firearms, then if you were to complete it, you could fulfill the training requirement for a permit to carry a firearm.

For the sake of argument, firearms training may cost maybe $50.00, training for non firearms maybe $10.00 (hypothetical costs to be used as an example).

Technically then either training would be valid for firearm carry.

WHY would/should there be TRAINER qualification requirements by the DOJ if not every one wants to carry a firearm ?

...........Deep thinking Po-lock

CalicoJack10

I charge $50, and you need "Firearms Training" according to the bill. You would have to have your own less lethal device.

Unfortunately there is no real distinction in the bill about the type of training, it just refers to "Firearms Training", and the only reason I offer less lethal is because it is a different dynamic than pistol, especially if you are carrying something other than a stun gun that is fit and function like a regular gun. Or at least that is my understanding of the bill. I would have to verify that. But I do offer less lethal training. lol

Da Po-lock

I charge $50, and you need "Firearms Training" according to the bill. You would have to have your own less lethal device.

Unfortunately there is no real distinction in the bill about the type of training, it just refers to "Firearms Training", and the only reason I offer less lethal is because it is a different dynamic than pistol, especially if you are carrying something other than a stun gun that is fit and function like a regular gun. Or at least that is my understanding of the bill. I would have to verify that. But I do offer less lethal training. lol

That's the problem, the only issue focused on was firearms and that is pretty lopsided if you ask me.

ALL concealed weapons are capible of the same end and firearms are what the whiners are a-skared of, thus, the bill was written in this light.

I don't know enough about what other states do but our law is too lopsided to allow the DOJ to "interpret" what/who is qualified to be a trainer.

Training to me should what you want and what you learn from it from whoever you choose, not who the government tells you to. The training you get you should carry with you and build on it further EVERY time you carry a weapon.

Thanks for your response, I'll be talking to you further about your training.

..............Interested in CJ training Po-lock

Lurchiron

That's the problem, the only issue focused on was firearms and that is pretty lopsided if you ask me.

ALL concealed weapons are capible of the same end and firearms are what the whiners are a-skared of, thus, the bill was written in this light.

I don't know enough about what other states do but our law is too lopsided to allow the DOJ to "interpret" what/who is qualified to be a trainer.

Training to me should what you want and what you learn from it from whoever you choose, not who the government tells you to. The training you get you should carry with you and build on it further EVERY time you carry a weapon.

Thanks for your response, I'll be talking to you further about your training.

..............Interested in CJ training Po-lock

Because it's really hard to thump someone 25ft. away with a club...well; maybe if it was a big club :cool:
View attachment 6285

CalicoJack10

It is important to remember that using less lethal is close quarters 99% of the time. So the training is similar to improvised weapons training. Kin to martial arts, but a lot more agressive, and with less compassion. lol That being said, I have to say that what I teach involves very agressive tactics, and with the exception of a distance taser, can lend themselves to causing great bodily harm. Like my other courses, I adapt it to what the students are capable of, but it is still effective.

CalicoJack10

It is similar to a scaled down version of the US Military Improvised weapns. And then I throw taser training in there for people who own tasers.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Less lethal most of the time refers too bean bag rounds,gas ect.

Are you lumping in there Unarmed tatics. Any use of force could have a lethal effect if use improperly.

Improvise weapons can be very interisting but I wouldn't lump them under less lethal

CalicoJack10

How about stun guns? My wife is considering one but is not happy with the "up close and personal" aspect.

Unfortunately, a firearm and a distance taser are about the only 2 ways you will not end up doing "Up close and personal"

Less lethal most of the time refers too bean bag rounds,gas ect.

Are you lumping in there Unarmed tatics. Any use of force could have a lethal effect if use improperly.

Improvise weapons can be very interisting but I wouldn't lump them under less lethal

The refrence for less lethal that you are using is based on Law Enforcement training, and there are gaps in that. Like the Baton (Less Lethal), and the OC Spray (Less Lethal), and so on and so forth. Pugalistic self defense of any sort is also considered less lethal, and weapons that are not designed to cause great bodily harm, and/or death are also LESS LETHAL. The idea is that it is force or a weapon that is less likely to cause great bodily harm or death.

DangerClose

WHY would/should there be TRAINER qualification requirements by the DOJ if not every one wants to carry a firearm ?

It is what it is, I guess. I plan on getting a permit if for no other reason than so I can carry a 3" knife in my pocket without worrying about the police holding it against me. WI knife laws aren't exactly specific. On purpose, apparently.

You can already carry pepper spray without a permit. Not so bad.

Funny how I can open carry a .44 magnum or AR-15 without a permit, but even with a permit I assume I can't carry an assisted knife (switchblade) because they're illegal to possess.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Unfortunately, a firearm and a distance taser are about the only 2 ways you will not end up doing "Up close and personal"....
I understand that; my question
Originally Posted by davegran How about stun guns?....
was meant to find out if you offered instruction in the use of the stun gun? And along those same, "up close and personal" lines, do you offer instruction in weapons retention, suitable for us older folks?

CalicoJack10

I understand that; my question was meant to find out if you offered instruction in the use of the stun gun? And along those same, "up close and personal" lines, do you offer instruction in weapons retention, suitable for us older folks?

I should have clarified better. I do teach use of stun guns as a part of my less lethal course. But stun guns are still up close and personal weapons. I do also teach weapons retention as a part of my less lethal as well as my Concealed Carry. But I DO NOT teach it as a part of my intro to defensive firearms course. Mainly because the actual shooting dynamic is a tough idea for people to get use to because of the shoot and move aspect.

I have devided my courses so that each one offers what you will need to know for personal defense. And while you can take just one course and feel more confident and capable, but each course still compliments the others. That way you can learn what you need to know for a given area, but you still have the option to learn more without NEEDING to take another course.

What I teach is about making sure you can save your life or the lives of those that you care about. Not about making sure you need to come back for another course. And I teach according to what the student needs, so age plays a role, but not in a way that would hurt the quality of training.

Last edited:
M

McX

i'm not absolutely sure, but i think Shotgun covers these topics in his class he is offering.

Outdoorsman1

Mcx.... Now thats what I call an Avitar.... Indicates what I will be thinking Friday night at Lizzy's...

"Wish You Were Here"

Favorite song from the album... "Welcome to the Machine"

Pink FLoyd = My Favorite Group.

Sorry for the Off Topic post....

Outdoorsman1

M

McX

Mcx.... Now thats what I call an Avitar.... Indicates what I will be thinking Friday night at Lizzy's...

"Wish You Were Here"

Favorite song from the album... "Welcome to the Machine"

Pink FLoyd = My Favorite Group.

Sorry for the Off Topic post....

Outdoorsman1

10-4 there guy. i'm a little worn out on the kitties for now, so now i'm going to do classic album covers, something our time can relate to. ooops, i'd better put this in for the young ones: An album is like a big CD, it came in a fancy collectable folder, with each artist trying to outdo the other on covers. heh-heh.