• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How'd I do/What would you have done?

carry for myself

good thing it was just a finger gun...................i would have glanced at my sidearm. looked at his finger and just said "mines bigger" and walked away haha +1 on how you handled it

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Since no one else went there...

"You should have shot him."

If only to raise the collective IQ of the species.

:p;):rolleyes:

Stupid people playing stupid games win stupid prizes.

Seeing as how so many folks who pointed cellphones or video cameras or flashlights at cops have been shot dead on the spot, I'd say the doofus should have continued his lucky streak by buying a Lotto ticket.

Congrats on being aware enough to 1) have spotted him before things started happening, 2) making the correct assessment, 3) having the self-control, and 4) walking away without getting further embroiled with him and his stupid behavior.

As much as it pains me, I agree with Badger Johnson on calling the cops to report him for assault and terroristic threats. But I would have dialed 9-1-1 instead of trying to enter a date on my keypad. Calling the cops is not Barney "nipping it in the bud".

stay safe.

MKEgal

SnarlyWino said:
Escalated to what? He was a smart-ass being a smart-ass.
...Would he have picked a fight with an armed man? Not likely.
He apparently was trying to provoke a shooting.
He may have just been goofing, but it's not something to goof about, unless you're kids w/ cap guns.

Badger Johnson said:
I would have called 9-11 and said "a man (description), threatened to shoot me, not sure if he had a weapon, he verbalized it", and give location.
Hadn't thought of that, but it's good.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
"Brandishing" with a finger can be a serious offense if you know Skidmark's story. (a complete and utter stupidity) You should have had him arrested.......lol

user

Accomplished Advocate
You did fine. Especially sizing the guy up. Good on you.

But, really, the guy was no threat to you. And no threat means no response involving threat of deadly force is warranted.

If you were to have pulled out the ole pistola, a lot would have been different. Probably bad. Mostly bad for you.

You did fine.

Actually it makes no difference whether the assailant represented an actual threat. What's important is whether the defender had a good faith belief, based on objective fact, that he was being presented with an imminent threat of serious bodily injury. If the OP in this case had shot the assailant dead, I believe I could have represented him effectively. However, it's a close call, and (remove lawyer hat, put on personal protection instructor hat) this kind of situation is why one has to remember to find cover, or at least concealment, first; then think about shooting. I like to think I'd have dived behind the car without a second's hesitation.

However, what the assailant did was both a crime and an intentionally wrongful act ("tort"). I'd file suit and subpoena the surveillance video toute-de-suite. Find out who that guy is and show up at the magistrate's office. Assault is making someone think you're going to touch them in an offensive manner; battery is the touching itself. This was a case of assault, no question, the assailant could get 12 months in jail plus a $2500 fine.

I think something is up in Allegheny County. Someone is pushing anti-gun stuff there, and I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was part of a local group trying to get gun-totin' folks arrested.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Actually it makes no difference whether the assailant represented an actual threat. What's important is whether the defender had a good faith belief, based on objective fact, that he was being presented with an imminent threat of serious bodily injury. If the OP in this case had shot the assailant dead, I believe I could have represented him effectively. However, it's a close call, and (remove lawyer hat, put on personal protection instructor hat) this kind of situation is why one has to remember to find cover, or at least concealment, first; then think about shooting. I like to think I'd have dived behind the car without a second's hesitation.

However, what the assailant did was both a crime and an intentionally wrongful act ("tort"). I'd file suit and subpoena the surveillance video toute-de-suite. Find out who that guy is and show up at the magistrate's office. Assault is making someone think you're going to touch them in an offensive manner; battery is the touching itself. This was a case of assault, no question, the assailant could get 12 months in jail plus a $2500 fine.

I think something is up in Allegheny County. Someone is pushing anti-gun stuff there, and I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was part of a local group trying to get gun-totin' folks arrested.

Personally I would not take that bet as to effective representation on shooting in this case.
I believe the OP was spot on and was able to determine in a fraction of a second that the perp posed no imminent threat.
Studies have been done on the timing it takes to decide to act as in once you decide to pull the trigger it takes around 1/3 of a second, it can take 3 seconds with practice to draw and place 3 rounds into a perp, actually a lot of time to determine a threat is present or not.
If it was a real threat then by all means draw while moving away from the threat to cover or concealment.

How long does it take to acknowledge an empty hand with a finger pointing?

As to the kid breaking he law, I would be in favor of prosecution in this instant.

We have school children here being suspended for a similar act while playing with schoolmates on the school grounds.

sudden valley gunner

"Brandishing" with a finger can be a serious offense if you know Skidmark's story. (a complete and utter stupidity) You should have had him arrested.......lol

SkidMarks situation is utterly ridiculous and I will not lower my standards to those who do these things against the citizens who pay their wages and whom they work for. :lol:

CheerfulHoplite

Errrr... Well, this was the town of Covington, in the county of King, in the state of Washington, so I'm guessing that this *PROBABLY* didn't have much, if anything, to do with whatever goings-on might be happening in Allegheny County.

Although I have been known to be wrong on occasion... :)

CheerfulHoplite

SkidMarks situation is utterly ridiculous and I will not lower my standards to those who do these things against the citizens who pay their wages and whom they work for. :lol:

Since this makes the second time it's been referenced, and I'm not familiar with this "SkidMark"'s tale - Throw me a link?

CheerfulHoplite

Thanks to everyone for confirming that I wasn't completely crazy to (not) react as I did. Since the incident, I've had time to come up with several alternative responses - most of which might have left the poor kid needing a change of undies. "How do you know I didn't just get back from the sandbox?" being high on the list.

Like I said in the original post, SOMEHOW, I expected him to do exactly what he did. Don't know how, don't know why, just *SOMETHING* about him said "He's gonna pull some sort of idiot kiddy stunt because he sees my gun". I'm not claiming any kind of "super powers" or anything, it's just a sort of "ultra deja-vu" that hits me from time to time. (And weirds me out in a big way anytime it happens, lemme tell ya!)