Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone know anything about the new Colonial shooting range in Richmond?

Anyone know anything about the new Colonial shooting range in Richmond?

Founder's Club Member
    Hmmm, absolutely no info about them on their single lame web page, yet they ask for your personal info. I certainly wouldn't give it to them!

All I know is that it is supposed to be in the Richmond area. I have a guess that it is eastern Goochland.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    By looking at the design concept of the building it should be the same one I'm thinking of. Anticpated opening is Feb. 2012.

It will be located in Western Henrico.
    Last edited by ProShooter; 07-13-2011 at 09:11 AM.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

OK, found this. Anyone know these guys?

Ed Coleman-General manager

Curtis Hicks-Retail manager

Law Enforcement Director-Col. Henry Stanley

Courtland Spotts-Managing Director

OK, Col. Henry "The Hammer" Stanley....

is the recently retired Henrico County Police Chief!

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2...eti-ar-768170/

I assume Courtland Spotts is related to the late A.C. Spotts. He is president of Spotts and Carneal ,a real estate broker and developer.

I wonder if this range is in response to citizen rejection of the proposed LEO training range at the State Farm/Prison complex in Powhatan? Will check to see if an invitaion for bid or request for proposal was issued.

Am suprised this facility would get licensed in Henrico, but apparently these guys are fairly heavy hitters. Looks like it will be in the Short Pump area, I think?

No definitive info on the other two guys yet.
    Last edited by riverrat10k; 07-13-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    is the recently retired Henrico County Police Chief!

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2...eti-ar-768170/

I assume Courtland Spotts is related to the late A.C. Spotts. He is president of Spotts and Carneal ,a real estate broker and developer.

I wonder if this range is in response to citizen rejection of the proposed LEO training range at the State Farm/Prison complex in Powhatan? Will check to see if an invitaion for bid or request for proposal was issued.

Am suprised this facility would get licensed in Henrico, but apparently these guys are fairly heavy hitters. Looks like it will be in the Short Pump area, I think?

No definitive info on the other two guys yet.
    Being from southside you're forgiven, but just west of Willow Lawn is where i think this place is going to go and thats like calling cloverleaf mall in the midlothian area.

I am just speculating.

What do you know?

I'll sign up with my spam email and see what they send. I will post it here.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

river - you're doing a pretty good job of digging up info....you should be a P.I. !
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    I am just speculating.

What do you know?
    a little bit but since i don't know what is supposed to be out there, i'll just say its supposed to be very nice very high end w/ memberships but open and affordable for walkins at hourly etc rates located in the area i mentioned. but remember this is early on and a lot can happen between now and opening time.

That would be huge great for me. Nothing near me and I don't feel comfortable shooting more than .22 on my property in Goochland, its like an hour to go anywhere in Richmond, and while Rivanna is not super far from where I live, I would never go after work because I work in Innsbrook.

I am working 60 hours a week, commuting about 4 a week and have small kids. This would seriously be a Godsend, and we could even drop the kids off at the grandfolks and go out with my wife who is always complaining we don't get to go out and shoot.

Not sure if this is the intended place but looks like in the 6000 block of West Broad. (6020)

http://henrico.us/comments/main.php?...&Submit=single

Not too far from Full Kee. Some Roast Pork and roast duck takeout after shooting might be just the ticket.

Its the old Colony House furniture store.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Skeptic, thank you.

You hit the nail on the head. Shoulda looked around that arena myself.
    Last edited by riverrat10k; 07-15-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    That would be huge great for me. Nothing near me and I don't feel comfortable shooting more than .22 on my property in Goochland, its like an hour to go anywhere in Richmond, and while Rivanna is not super far from where I live, I would never go after work because I work in Innsbrook.

I am working 60 hours a week, commuting about 4 a week and have small kids. This would seriously be a Godsend, and we could even drop the kids off at the grandfolks and go out with my wife who is always complaining we don't get to go out and shoot.
    SKEPTIC,are you aware that you are only maybe 15-20 minutes from cavalier? http://96.0.149.83/directions.htm

Quote Originally Posted by 67GT390FB View Post
    SKEPTIC,are you aware that you are only maybe 15-20 minutes from cavalier? http://96.0.149.83/directions.htm
    ! They can't even cough up the ten bucks it takes to register a domain name for a year?

Generally speaking, clicking on links that are direct IP addresses is not a particularly safe practice. Easy to pick up malware that way. It's like buying watches out of the trunk of someone's car... no permanent address - no stability - no assurance what will be there tomorrow!

I'm not saying this place will give you malware... but it is a horrible first impression.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    ! They can't even cough up the ten bucks it takes to register a domain name for a year?

Generally speaking, clicking on links that are direct IP addresses is not a particularly safe practice. Easy to pick up malware that way. It's like buying watches out of the trunk of someone's car... no permanent address - no stability - no assurance what will be there tomorrow!

I'm not saying this place will give you malware... but it is a horrible first impression.

TFred
    www.cavrpc.org

There does that make you feel better. I supplied the working address that i could find the other day. as with any organization w/o paid staff its possible a renewal slipped through the cracks. not a member there so i have no dog in the fight just a top notch facility close to skeptics location.

www.cavrpc.org

There does that make you feel better. I supplied the working address that i could find the other day. as with any organization w/o paid staff its possible a renewal slipped through the cracks. not a member there so i have no dog in the fight just a top notch facility close to skeptics location.
    That website doesn't go anywhere. I'm with Tfred on this one.

www.cavrpc.org

I did not take the time to look up the whois entry. Looks like they've had the domain for several years, and it is still valid for almost two more years yet. So perhaps they are having technical difficulties with their hosting service, that would be unfortunate.

The fact is that one's web presence makes a very important first impression. It just doesn't "look right" to have an IP address for your web page. I certainly don't have any personal feelings on the matter, just saying what it looks like.

TFred

Approved

Apparently they've been given the go ahead by the county ...

Dear ,

Great news! On Wednesday, July 27, Colonial Shooting Academy was given unanimous approval from the Henrico County Board to move forward with our licensing process. In other words, we're official! (Or we will be as soon as our business license is issued in the next few days.)

The fact that approval was given unanimously illustrates the excitement for Colonial Shooting Academy that's building in our community, and we couldn't be more appreciative of all the support we've recieved to date.

Thank you again for your interest in Colonial Shooting Academy, and for your support thus far. It's going to be an exciting summer and fall, so stay tuned!

Sincerely,
    The Colonial Shooting Team

... that's the text from an email they sent out today, any spelling mistakes are their's
    Last edited by scouser; 07-29-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    Apparently they've been given the go ahead by the county ...

Dear ,

Great news! On Wednesday, July 27, Colonial Shooting Academy was given unanimous approval from the Henrico County Board to move forward with our licensing process. In other words, we're official! (Or we will be as soon as our business license is issued in the next few days.)

The fact that approval was given unanimously illustrates the excitement for Colonial Shooting Academy that's building in our community, and we couldn't be more appreciative of all the support we've recieved to date.

Thank you again for your interest in Colonial Shooting Academy, and for your support thus far. It's going to be an exciting summer and fall, so stay tuned!

Sincerely,
    The Colonial Shooting Team

... that's the text from an email they sent out today, any spelling mistakes are their's
    Dang, you beat me to it. The vote was unanimous, I think that is good news for any future plans the range may have.

www.cavrpc.org

On another good note, it looks like the Cavalier guys got their web page issues worked out. Says they have a closed membership though, capped at 600 members, with no new ones allowed until an old one leaves.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    On another good note, it looks like the Cavalier guys got their web page issues worked out. Says they have a closed membership though, capped at 600 members, with no new ones allowed until an old one leaves.

TFred
    atrition usually opens up 20-30 spots per year, the 600 member cap was placed on them by some anti's in hanover county who were trying to do any and everything they could to shut the place down, so the range agreed to the membership cap as well as some other stuff to continue to operate.

New gun range

http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-henric...,7622235.story

According to the article it will be the largest in door range in the US.

Sounds interesting.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast