• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone know anything about the new Colonial shooting range in Richmond?

riverrat10k

OK, Col. Henry "The Hammer" Stanley....

is the recently retired Henrico County Police Chief!

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...hief-col-henry-w-stanley-will-reti-ar-768170/

I assume Courtland Spotts is related to the late A.C. Spotts. He is president of Spotts and Carneal ,a real estate broker and developer.

I wonder if this range is in response to citizen rejection of the proposed LEO training range at the State Farm/Prison complex in Powhatan? Will check to see if an invitaion for bid or request for proposal was issued.

Am suprised this facility would get licensed in Henrico, but apparently these guys are fairly heavy hitters. Looks like it will be in the Short Pump area, I think?

No definitive info on the other two guys yet.

Last edited:

67GT390FB

is the recently retired Henrico County Police Chief!

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...hief-col-henry-w-stanley-will-reti-ar-768170/

I assume Courtland Spotts is related to the late A.C. Spotts. He is president of Spotts and Carneal ,a real estate broker and developer.

I wonder if this range is in response to citizen rejection of the proposed LEO training range at the State Farm/Prison complex in Powhatan? Will check to see if an invitaion for bid or request for proposal was issued.

Am suprised this facility would get licensed in Henrico, but apparently these guys are fairly heavy hitters. Looks like it will be in the Short Pump area, I think?

No definitive info on the other two guys yet.

Being from southside you're forgiven, but just west of Willow Lawn is where i think this place is going to go and thats like calling cloverleaf mall in the midlothian area.

67GT390FB

I am just speculating.

What do you know?

a little bit but since i don't know what is supposed to be out there, i'll just say its supposed to be very nice very high end w/ memberships but open and affordable for walkins at hourly etc rates located in the area i mentioned. but remember this is early on and a lot can happen between now and opening time.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
That would be huge great for me. Nothing near me and I don't feel comfortable shooting more than .22 on my property in Goochland, its like an hour to go anywhere in Richmond, and while Rivanna is not super far from where I live, I would never go after work because I work in Innsbrook.

I am working 60 hours a week, commuting about 4 a week and have small kids. This would seriously be a Godsend, and we could even drop the kids off at the grandfolks and go out with my wife who is always complaining we don't get to go out and shoot.

67GT390FB

That would be huge great for me. Nothing near me and I don't feel comfortable shooting more than .22 on my property in Goochland, its like an hour to go anywhere in Richmond, and while Rivanna is not super far from where I live, I would never go after work because I work in Innsbrook.

I am working 60 hours a week, commuting about 4 a week and have small kids. This would seriously be a Godsend, and we could even drop the kids off at the grandfolks and go out with my wife who is always complaining we don't get to go out and shoot.

SKEPTIC,are you aware that you are only maybe 15-20 minutes from cavalier? http://96.0.149.83/directions.htm

TFred

SKEPTIC,are you aware that you are only maybe 15-20 minutes from cavalier? http://[B]96.0.149.83[/B]/directions.htm
! They can't even cough up the ten bucks it takes to register a domain name for a year?

Generally speaking, clicking on links that are direct IP addresses is not a particularly safe practice. Easy to pick up malware that way. It's like buying watches out of the trunk of someone's car... no permanent address - no stability - no assurance what will be there tomorrow!

I'm not saying this place will give you malware... but it is a horrible first impression.

TFred

67GT390FB

! They can't even cough up the ten bucks it takes to register a domain name for a year?

Generally speaking, clicking on links that are direct IP addresses is not a particularly safe practice. Easy to pick up malware that way. It's like buying watches out of the trunk of someone's car... no permanent address - no stability - no assurance what will be there tomorrow!

I'm not saying this place will give you malware... but it is a horrible first impression.

TFred

www.cavrpc.org

There does that make you feel better. I supplied the working address that i could find the other day. as with any organization w/o paid staff its possible a renewal slipped through the cracks. not a member there so i have no dog in the fight just a top notch facility close to skeptics location.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
www.cavrpc.org

There does that make you feel better. I supplied the working address that i could find the other day. as with any organization w/o paid staff its possible a renewal slipped through the cracks. not a member there so i have no dog in the fight just a top notch facility close to skeptics location.

That website doesn't go anywhere. I'm with Tfred on this one.

TFred

www.cavrpc.org

I did not take the time to look up the whois entry. Looks like they've had the domain for several years, and it is still valid for almost two more years yet. So perhaps they are having technical difficulties with their hosting service, that would be unfortunate.

The fact is that one's web presence makes a very important first impression. It just doesn't "look right" to have an IP address for your web page. I certainly don't have any personal feelings on the matter, just saying what it looks like.

TFred