• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone know anything about the new Colonial shooting range in Richmond?

scouser

Approved

Apparently they've been given the go ahead by the county ...

Dear ,

Great news! On Wednesday, July 27, Colonial Shooting Academy was given unanimous approval from the Henrico County Board to move forward with our licensing process. In other words, we're official! (Or we will be as soon as our business license is issued in the next few days.)

The fact that approval was given unanimously illustrates the excitement for Colonial Shooting Academy that's building in our community, and we couldn't be more appreciative of all the support we've recieved to date.

Thank you again for your interest in Colonial Shooting Academy, and for your support thus far. It's going to be an exciting summer and fall, so stay tuned!

Sincerely,
The Colonial Shooting Team

... that's the text from an email they sent out today, any spelling mistakes are their's

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Apparently they've been given the go ahead by the county ...

Dear ,

Great news! On Wednesday, July 27, Colonial Shooting Academy was given unanimous approval from the Henrico County Board to move forward with our licensing process. In other words, we're official! (Or we will be as soon as our business license is issued in the next few days.)

The fact that approval was given unanimously illustrates the excitement for Colonial Shooting Academy that's building in our community, and we couldn't be more appreciative of all the support we've recieved to date.

Thank you again for your interest in Colonial Shooting Academy, and for your support thus far. It's going to be an exciting summer and fall, so stay tuned!

Sincerely,
The Colonial Shooting Team

... that's the text from an email they sent out today, any spelling mistakes are their's

Dang, you beat me to it. The vote was unanimous, I think that is good news for any future plans the range may have.

TFred

www.cavrpc.org

There does that make you feel better. I supplied the working address that i could find the other day. as with any organization w/o paid staff its possible a renewal slipped through the cracks. not a member there so i have no dog in the fight just a top notch facility close to skeptics location.
On another good note, it looks like the Cavalier guys got their web page issues worked out. Says they have a closed membership though, capped at 600 members, with no new ones allowed until an old one leaves.

TFred

67GT390FB

On another good note, it looks like the Cavalier guys got their web page issues worked out. Says they have a closed membership though, capped at 600 members, with no new ones allowed until an old one leaves.

TFred

atrition usually opens up 20-30 spots per year, the 600 member cap was placed on them by some anti's in hanover county who were trying to do any and everything they could to shut the place down, so the range agreed to the membership cap as well as some other stuff to continue to operate.

B. Reddy

That is gonna be a big sucker

The building is 120' wide- that's room for a fair amount of shooting lanes! :banana:

From Google is seems they have two floors from the outside stairs.

Wow- could they be thinking about double-decker pistol ranges and classrooms??.....front to back 240 feet, total floor space just for one level at about 28,800 sq. feet. Very nice.

Has anybody been inside the building when it was a furniture store? Big wide, open space or giant pillars every 20 feet?

Geez, January 2012 seems so far away.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Just got an email from them today. Memberships are available at a fairly decent rate. They have their rules posted on their website. I don't like several of them but this one pisses me off:

"All firearms must be cased and unloaded when entering the store or range excluding law enforcement."

So a cop can bring his loaded holstered gun into the range but we can not? Are cops so much safer than the average shooter? I think this has been proven not to be the case. The NRA range allows individuals to carry loaded, holstered weapons and they have never had an incident. It drives me crazy that places will let you shoot on their range but won't let you have your gun loaded in it's holster. Ok, I'm done ranting now. Thoughts?

http://csa.studiocenter.com/content/rules-of-the-range/

scouser

does anyone know of an opening date for this place yet?

Membership ($484.45 for the first year if paid in one payment, $100 one time fee & $34.95 monthly; if you pay the whole year you're only charged for 11 months) seems to be a good idea for me as it avoids the $20 hourly rate and the place is really close to where I live (less than 2 miles by road). The savings in being able to use my own ammo and spend a heck of a lot less in gas to get there, not to mention no tolls on the Powhite to get there, make the extra up front cost compared with Dominion ($300 per year was 2011's cost) more than bearable.

Have to love the thought that the lanes will be lit too

Last edited:

All American Nightmare

Just got an email from them today. Memberships are available at a fairly decent rate. They have their rules posted on their website. I don't like several of them but this one pisses me off:

"All firearms must be cased and unloaded when entering the store or range excluding law enforcement."

So a cop can bring his loaded holstered gun into the range but we can not? Are cops so much safer than the average shooter? I think this has been proven not to be the case. The NRA range allows individuals to carry loaded, holstered weapons and they have never had an incident. It drives me crazy that places will let you shoot on their range but won't let you have your gun loaded in it's holster. Ok, I'm done ranting now. Thoughts?

http://csa.studiocenter.com/content/rules-of-the-range/
Due to the range rules giving law enforcement special rules. I will never spend a penny at this range and I hope everyone else who feels that leos should not be given special treatment will do the same.

scouser

Is it possible that it's not the range themselves making that rule but instead their insurers insisting upon it as a condition of providing coverage?

Any excuse not to pay out on a policy, am I the only person who thinks that Geico's spokescreature really ought to be a weasel instead of a gecko?