• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ANOTHER... Police Shooting

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Posted today in Everet Herald.

http://heraldnet.com/article/20110713/NEWS03/707139827

Obviously there are some missing details, like why it was necessary to shot the man in the field.

Leary says a trooper attempted to pull over a speeding car about 1 a.m. Wednesday near Bellingham. The car sped away on a chase south on I-5 and back roads. Leary says the driver took to dirt roads and ended up in the potato field where he was shot.

sirpuma

You know, I find it real hard to have any sympathy for people who blatantly break the law, drive recklessly, run from the cops on long vehicle chases and end up getting shot. I'm sick of these POS people who think they can get away with criminal and dangerous activities and expect the cops to say pretty please. Every time I see some jackwipe driving like a lunatic I have very mean thoughts. I don't cry for the criminally stupid, in fact I hope the officer took the creep out of the gene pool.

jbone

ANOTHER... Police Shooting
Another, capital letters and all, is this another drama post?

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
You know, I find it real hard to have any sympathy for people who blatantly break the law, drive recklessly, run from the cops on long vehicle chases and end up getting shot. I'm sick of these POS people who think they can get away with criminal and dangerous activities and expect the cops to say pretty please. Every time I see some jackwipe driving like a lunatic I have very mean thoughts. I don't cry for the criminally stupid, in fact I hope the officer took the creep out of the gene pool.

I know it can be real satisfying to contemplate robbers and such getting what they deserve. I get a nice smile out of such, too, from time to time.

But, lets never forget that government killed a citizen--one of the people it is supposed to be protecting--and, that such is very serious business and deserves the most intense scrutiny to make very, very sure the homicide was justified.

Last edited:

amlevin

But, lets never forget that government killed a citizen--one of the people it is supposed to be protecting--

The last part of this should read "one of the people it is supposed to be protecting the the public from."

There comes a time when this is part of the "government's" job.

As for this driver being killed???? All the news reports I read say his injuries didn't appear life threatening.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The last part of this should read "one of the people it is supposed to be protecting the the public from."

There comes a time when this is part of the "government's" job.

As for this driver being killed???? All the news reports I read say his injuries didn't appear life threatening.

1. I'm not really responding to the story so much as I was responding to that poster's comment in general.

2. Protecting from--yes. If the intense scrutiny sustains the evaluation the deceased really needed killing. My point is that the decision about whether the deceased was in the first class (protect) or the second class (kill), the decision about which class, should not be left solely to the police and the first media reports. Definitely not the police. And, definitely not the lazy, incomplete, inaccurate media. Our default setting should be: Government killed somebody? OK, dig in deep, for every detail, and lets make very, very sure it was justified. Government has proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that it cannot be trusted with rights, it cannot be trusted at all. It must be watched, checked on, probed, etc. And, killing a citizen is second only to killing multiple citizens. Well, unless you are like me and place economic enslavement and bleeding a citizen(s) dry monetarily as the greatest offense.

sirpuma

But, lets never forget that government killed a citizen--one of the people it is supposed to be protecting--and, that such is very serious business and deserves the most intense scrutiny to make very, very sure the homicide was justified.

Actually, LEO have absolutely no obligation to protect anyone but those who pay them. They don't protect us, we protect ourselves. They protect the flow of money into the government and at their whim enforce "laws" that the government has come up with to curb our freedoms and rights. Generally speaking they get real criminals off the street, but not nearly enough. At the same time the system is designed so that LEO arrest anyone they want, make up crimes for them, courts prosecute them, judges order juries to find them guilty and finally sentence them to slave labor. The system isn't operated to get criminals off the street but to supply labor for a select market.

cbpeck

I hear where you're coming from, but I disagree. We just don't have enough details about who the driver was to write him off so quickly.

Was he a 2 time felon who ran because he didn't want to get busted for possession or arrested for an outstanding warrant? Ok, he's a scumbag.

Was he a 15 y.o. kid who didn't want to get caught driving his dad's car to 7-Eleven without permission or a license? If so, he broke the law, but doesn't deserve to be shot.

I don't like the idea of a cop shooting to end a chase, and it seems especially unnecessary in a rural area. The guy was in a field, so whose life was endangered at that point?