Thread: Louisiana Firearm Preemption Laws

Louisiana Firearm Preemption Laws

Greetings everyone! I will be visiting some family in New Orleans next weekend and was wondering about any local gun control ordinances that are still in effect. I read the info on LA and saw that any previous ordinances passed before preemption were still in effect. Are there any local gun control ordinances that I should be aware of? I know about the school zones and will avoid them. I have a MS firearms permit. I appreciate any help on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by bigun220 View Post
    Greetings everyone! I will be visiting some family in New Orleans next weekend and was wondering about any local gun control ordinances that are still in effect. I read the info on LA and saw that any previous ordinances passed before preemption were still in effect. Are there any local gun control ordinances that I should be aware of? I know about the school zones and will avoid them. I have a MS firearms permit. I appreciate any help on this matter.
    As far as I know there are no ordinances you need to be concerned with... check for yourself here...
    http://library.municode.com/index.as...name=Louisiana

If your Ms. permit fulfills the federal requirements set out in 18 USC 922(q), then school zones are not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    As far as I know there are no ordinances you need to be concerned with... check for yourself here...
    http://library.municode.com/index.as...name=Louisiana

If your Ms. permit fulfills the federal requirements set out in 18 USC 922(q), then school zones are not an issue.
    Thanks. I read thru most of the ones that are firearms related. The discharge prohibition really stuck out like a sore thumb. But I shouldn't have to worry about that since this is a family gathering. lol. I intend to carry concealed. I've heard way too many bad stories about OC in New Orleans and the NOPD.