• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry at the Detroit zoo?

ElectricianLU58

Liquor/Wine: The Detroit Zoo is a licensed liquor premises. Liquor, beer and wine may not be brought into the Detroit Zoo from outside sources. Liquor, beer and wine may not be removed from the Detroit Zoo.

Bronson

The only mention of alcohol on their visitor information page is this: http://www.detroitzoo.org/Visitors/Detroit_Zoo/Visitor_Info
Picnic Areas:
The main picnic area is behind the Wildlife Interpretive Gallery. Three acres, 40 tables, no grills available or allowed. Tables are not reserved. Personal grills and alcoholic beverages are not allowed in the Zoo.* (*Alcoholic beverages are provided by the Catering Division for private events only and must be consumed in reserved area.) Open fires on the ground are not permitted. Smaller picnic areas are available throughout the park.

I also didn't find either "Detroit Zoo" or "Detroit Zoological Society" in the Dept. of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs searchable list. But to be honest I didn't search through the many many pages for Oakland County. http://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/llist/

Bronson

ElectricianLU58

the night we went, the cash bar was not in any restricted area. it was by the rackham fountain. i walked around the whole zoo with a 7 and 7 in my hand. i do want to make the point that it was a 21 and over event. it was a really nice event.

Rasher

the night we went, the cash bar was not in any restricted area. it was by the rackham fountain. i walked around the whole zoo with a 7 and 7 in my hand. i do want to make the point that it was a 21 and over event. it was a really nice event.

You bring up a ??? for/from me, can anybody tell me-I have been under the understanding that the rules for BAC changes from cc .02 to .08 when you open carry, i have read this somewhere dont remember, any truth to that.

eastmeyers

You bring up a ??? for/from me, can anybody tell me-I have been under the understanding that the rules for BAC changes from cc .02 to .08 when you open carry, i have read this somewhere dont remember, any truth to that.
YES! (I do not condone nor condemn this).
CC (keep in mind the lowest BAC that can show on a mobile Breathalyzer is .02):
28.425k said:
Acceptance of license as implied consent to submit to chemical analysis of breath, blood, or urine. Sec. 5k.
(1) Acceptance of a license issued under this act to carry a concealed pistol constitutes implied consent to submit to a chemical analysis under this section. This section also applies to individuals listed in section 12a(a) to (f).
(2) An individual shall not carry a concealed pistol while he or she is under the influence of alcoholic liquor or a controlled substance or while having a bodily alcohol content prohibited under this section. A person who violates this section is responsible for a state civil infraction or guilty of a crime as follows:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(gykpr1bow5klxj55j2we4hz5))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-425k (bam)

OC:
750.237 said:
Liquor or controlled substance; possession or use of firearm by person under influence; violation; penalty; chemical analysis.
Sec. 237.
(1) An individual shall not carry, have in possession or under control, or use in any manner or discharge a firearm under any of the following circumstances:
(a) The individual is under the influence of alcoholic liquor, a controlled substance, or a combination of alcoholic liquor and a controlled substance.
(b) The individual has an alcohol content of 0.08 or more grams per 100 milliliters of blood, per 210 liters of breath, or per 67 milliliters of urine.
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(jrayy255f1ugov55euzw2cjf))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-237 (bam)

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Even if the zoo did get the majority of it's income from liquor sales, it wouldn't magically turn into a bar...it's a zoo.
Perhaps a zoo cannot turn into a bar but many a bar turns into a zoo right around last call..............:lol: