Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim Moran claims pro-gun activists promote "wholesale slaughter"

Jim Moran claims pro-gun activists promote "wholesale slaughter"

House republicans today voted to strip funding for a new Obama administration policy that increases reporting requirements for some gun dealers who sell semi-automatic rifles.

Democrats vehemently opposed Rehberg’s measure, which was supported by the National Rifle Association (NRA). Rep. Jim Moran (D-Va.) said stripping the funding from the rule would be akin to “virtual wholesale slaughter.”

“The NRA is so afraid that the people who are really funding the NRA, the gun manufacturers, might lose some sales that we’re willing to sacrifice the lives of these people that are casualties of this gun war,” said Moran during the markup.

“And we’re promoting it. We’re enabling … that slaughter to continue,” Moran said.

What??? There is no wholesale slaughter now. Nothing was happening before these requirements. How can a lack of new reporting requirements create more nothing?
    Last edited by thebigsd; 07-13-2011 at 07:59 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

virtual wholesale slaughter
    Are we going to do something about vehicles to? lots of drunk drivers out there. Maybe we should put a restriction on buying cars?...
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Are we going to do something about vehicles to? lots of drunk drivers out there. Maybe we should put a restriction on buying cars?...
    Or at least when you buy more than one at a time.

Hell, I'm still waiting for the law that specifies all new cars must be equipped with a interlock device (breathalizer). I can already hear the sound bite, "We have to stop the sensless killing of our children by drunk drivers, and if inconvieniences the rest of us then it is a price we should all be willing to pay."

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Or at least when you buy more than one at a time.

Hell, I'm still waiting for the law that specifies all new cars must be equipped with a interlock device (breathalizer). I can already hear the sound bite, "We have to stop the sensless killing of our children by drunk drivers, and if inconvieniences the rest of us then it is a price we should all be willing to pay."
    That could be an end to the fourth amendment violations that happen every time a DUI checkpoint is set up.
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

Quote Originally Posted by tcmech View Post
    That could be an end to the fourth amendment violations that happen every time a DUI checkpoint is set up.
    But then we would need crack pipe checkpoints, underage checkpoints, visual acquity checkpoints, proper tire inflation checkpoints (ok, that one might be handy).

Open Carry proximity to Moran?

Has anyone open carried near Moran, perhaps at a townhall meeting? If yes, what was his body language like? How did he treat you?

He seems very bigoted toward self-defense or self-reliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Has anyone open carried near Moran, perhaps at a townhall meeting? If yes, what was his body language like? How did he treat you?

Better question, how did you keep your gun from jumping out of its holster and stop it from causing a "wholesale slaughter" all on it's own?...
    Last edited by thebigsd; 07-14-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by tcmech View Post
    Explain how you think a DUI Checkpoint is a violation of the 4th Amendment.
    Last edited by CHILINVLN; 07-14-2011 at 04:32 PM.

I guess he hasn't been watching the news (which has been getting us furious, fast.)
    If you really want to save money and lives, defund the ATF.

“virtual wholesale slaughter.”

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

at least it is "virtual" not "actual" wholesale slaughter.

Oh, Jimmy, you say the cwaziest things!

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

at least it is "virtual" not "actual" wholesale slaughter.

Oh, Jimmy, you say the cwaziest things!

Riverrat, if it were upgraded to actual, it would have to be "actual RETAIL slaughter", the worst kind in my book!

He is bigoted against any form of liberty whatsoever.

Remember his quote about "this simplistic notion that people who have wealth are entitled to keep it "? Not to mention his assertion that 20 years of military service is not public service, but the PTA is?

What a scumbum this guy is. Very sad

Quote Originally Posted by CHILINVLN View Post
    Explain how you think it isn't a violation of the 4th Amendment? Even Justice Renquist who voted FOR allowing sobriety checkpoints in some certain circumstances agreed that they were an infringement of the 4th amendment, it is simply his opinion that the infringement is outweighed by the public good.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated"

Seems pretty clear. Indiscriminately stopping everyone without probable cause seems to be entirely in keeping with the meaning of the word unreasonable.

“And we’re promoting it. We’re enabling … that slaughter to continue,” Moran said.
    I think by "We" he means him, Holder Jr, the FBI, DEA, and Obummer. If I was him I couldn't live with myself either.

"Papers please."
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 07-18-2011 at 10:54 AM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Here we go again with the "Doom and Gloom" spews

House republicans today voted to strip funding for a new Obama administration policy that increases reporting requirements for some gun dealers who sell semi-automatic rifles.

Democrats vehemently opposed Rehberg’s measure, which was supported by the National Rifle Association (NRA). Rep. Jim Moran (D-Va.) said stripping the funding from the rule would be akin to “virtual wholesale slaughter.”

“The NRA is so afraid that the people who are really funding the NRA, the gun manufacturers, might lose some sales that we’re willing to sacrifice the lives of these people that are casualties of this gun war,” said Moran during the markup.

Would that be the same "wholesale slaughter" the "anti's" claimed would happen last year when it became legal to CC in a bar?

Me thinks they spelled Jim's last name wrong. The correct spelling MUST be Moron.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Originally Posted by CHILINVLN

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post

"Papers please."
    No RAS, no probable cause. Pure fishing expedition.

If it saves just one life..................
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

It's kind of like the receipt checkers at Walmart or at the warehouse stores. Sometimes I ask them "Why are you accusing me of being a criminal?"

TFred

This, from an anti-semite with a vile temper who, according to the prosecutor at the time, through the grace of god, just missed being charged with a felony for his dealings in Alexandria.

2A
    Last edited by OC-moto450r; 08-02-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Fast and Furious

2A
    Last edited by OC-moto450r; 08-02-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    Explain how you think it isn't a violation of the 4th Amendment? Even Justice Renquist who voted FOR allowing sobriety checkpoints in some certain circumstances agreed that they were an infringement of the 4th amendment, it is simply his opinion that the infringement is outweighed by the public good.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated"

Seems pretty clear. Indiscriminately stopping everyone without probable cause seems to be entirely in keeping with the meaning of the word unreasonable.
    DUI checkpoints have been determined to be part of a regulatory scheme in furtherance of an administrative purpose, and not traditional criminal investigative stops. The primary purpose of a sobriety roadblock is to promote public safety by keeping intoxicated drivers off of public streets and highways. Therefore, if the appropriate guidelines have been followed, DUI checkpoints are legal.

These guidelines were outlined in a landmark court case, Ingersoll vs. Palmer. Essentially, there must be a neutral or random screening process which limits the discretion of the officers in deciding who to stop. The intrusiveness on individual motorists must be limited. The detention of motorists is brief, encompassing only a few questions which allow the officer to observe objective signs of intoxication. In addition, officers will shine their flashlights into the vehicle in order to observe any alcoholic beverages. The Supreme Court has ruled that this intrusion on the individual is slight in comparison to the value to society in keeping drunk drivers off the road.

See my post above. Also, if that one life is someone you're close too - I'm sure you wouldn't be bashing your head.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    See my post above. Also, if that one life is someone you're close too - I'm sure you wouldn't be bashing your head.
    Demonstrate please how this will save my grand daughter's life.

I do not succumb to the siren's false call.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Demonstrate please how this will save my grand daughter's life.

I do not succumb to the siren's false call.
    You would be better off asking that question to the members of M.A.D.D.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast