• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

House Republicans actually push PRO-gun legislation; Moran gets very mad

Repeater

Guns-rights issue inflames House Appropriations meeting

A heated gun-rights debate hijacked a House Appropriations Committee markup of a 2012 spending Justice Department bill Wednesday as the GOP defeated a Democratic attempt to limit gun purchases by suspected terrorists, and succeeded in inserting language to allow imports of more powerful types of shotguns.

The GOP said Democrats were violating the Constitution with an amendment sponsored by Rep. Nita Lowey (D-N.Y.) which would have given the attorney general the ability to deny a gun purchase or transfer to a known or suspected terrorist.

Commerce and Justice subcommittee Chairman Frank Wolf (R-Va.) said he would work with Lowey to refine the amendment, but she rejected that offer. The amendment was defeated 18 to 27.

The heated debate followed the successful adoption of a rider sponsored by Rep. John Carter (R-Texas), which would have defunded any attempts to impose an existing ban on shotguns with non-sporting features.

Rep. Jim Moran (D-Va.) rose to say this applies to weapons with grenade launchers and bayonets, and that the ban should remain in place.

Republicans argued that it was a violation of the Second Amendment for the government to be determining which features are considered sporting.

Frank Wolf often disappoints on gun-rights issues, but Moran is consistently over the top with his hatred of guns and their lawful owners.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Moran is an idiot. Now if we can win the Senate and the White House we might have a real chance of doing something at the federal level (and that's a huge might)

paramedic

"Why does any self-respecting Virginian vote for Moran?"

well even self respecting virginian can be an aware of what they are doing some times, we must show compasion and attempt to educate tham

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
When I lived in Arlington and that idiot came to our state, I was aghast at some of his antics. In our house, we called him Jim "Moron" and for good reason. He, and people like him in the close-in region of NOVA, was one of the reasons we moved out of Arlington.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
To go a little further than TFred, if Moran is really upset by a gun issue, it probably means we are one the right course. Keep up the good work, men! There are a few legislators in Richmond who I would never waste my breath lobbying, and Moran is one of them. When I have read some of his statements regarding guns, it becomes clear that a certain logic defect makes him incapable of forming any new opinions. JMHO.