Thread: The Folklife Situation

The Folklife Situation

So I'm pretty new here, so I'm not sure how much this has been discussed. The papers were very unclear what happened to start the conflict, but it sounded like the guy had a concealed permit, but somebody saw the gun. There was some sort of argument and the other guy went for the gun, there was a struggle and the gun went off.

If this is the case, the gun owner should not have been arrested, but rather the criminal trying to take away his gun. If he had a permit, and it is also legal to open carry, what law did he break? Maybe the gun owner was an ass, and it was all his fault, but the papers were not clear at all.

If our Mayor is trying to use this as a way to override our state gun laws, perhaps that would be a great place for 100 law abiding citizens to open carry next year?

Feel free to educate me if I am misinformed here, but that's how I read things.

Perhaps you could elaborate on wtf you're going on about. Got a link to a news article or something?
    "If you don't want to be shorn, don't be sheep!"

We realize you are new to the forum, but please give us a little more information to go on in the future. I believe this is the situation he is talking about.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ebguns09m.html
    Last edited by thebigsd; 07-13-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Howdy Folkls!
    As usual, the newspaper story link doesn't provide a whole lot of information. It did not, for example, talk about the ruckus itself.
    It didn't mention anybody being arrested either.

Perhaps the OP has additional information we can consider before we arrive at any conclusions in the matter.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Check the date of the article

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    We realize you are new to the forum, but please give us a little more information to go on in the future. I believe this is the situation he is talking about.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ebguns09m.html
    This was in 2008....we've moved well past all of this if this is the reference.

Originally published June 9, 2008 at 12:00 AM | Page modified June 9, 2008 at 6:46 PM
    Last edited by jt59; 07-13-2011 at 11:34 PM.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post

Originally published June 9, 2008 at 12:00 AM | Page modified June 9, 2008 at 6:46 PM
    I don't know. The OP has yet to respond. We have no idea what he is talking about. Perhaps he's bringing up old news. Just using my Google skills to try and help the OP out. Here is an updated article that doesn't say much more.

http://stage.mynorthwest.com/categor...g-still-alive/
    Last edited by thebigsd; 07-13-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

An argument that became a physical fight left at least two people wounded by a single gunshot Saturday evening at the Northwest Folklife Festival, as thousands of people listened to music and danced at Seattle Center.
    Full Story
    It is generally known the Folklife Festival in Seattle is unable to restrict firearms even though the city wants it to be that way.

A quick forum search for folklife festival you will find

Folklife 2011 - City of Seattle still ignoring Chan v. Seattle ruling

Folklife shooting suspect pleads guilty

As with anything when it comes to the laws and what you are willing or not willing to do, one needs to spend the time researching and reading to solidify their position.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

To be fair, the SPD performed absolutly AWESOME during that Folklife incident..... think about it....

THEY DIDN'T MURDER ANYONE! Err, I mean they didn't "OMG they are coming right for me... BAM BAM BAM" anyone. Kudos for the restraint.

Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 07-14-2011 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post

WOW! I know things are slow but really. 2008.

Now 2010 was a good gun year...
    Young Kim, NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
    NRA Range Safety Officer

www.shootonthemove.org

"Shoot Safetly, Shoot Often and Share Your Sport!"
    Jim Scoutten, Shooting USA

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    It is generally known the Folklife Festival in Seattle is unable to restrict firearms even though the city wants it to be that way.
    Thanks Big Dave, that is why I brought it up. Sorry to some of the other guys, I assumed since it was the "Washington" section that everyone was hip with the story. I still think it is relevant. My bad I guess.