• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Employer preaching about "not allowed on our property" already

kawisixer01

I work for a fortune 50 and we had our monthly plant wide meeting today. They had a slide in there about the corporate rule of "no firearms are allowed on our property including in your vehicle" to address "recent changes in passing of cc in WI". I haven't read the law in depth, isn't it expressly spelled out that employers cannot tell you "no weapons in your vehicle"?

MKEgal

kawisixer01 said:
isn't it expressly spelled out that employers cannot tell you "no weapons in your vehicle"?
Yes.
See 175.60 (15m) on the lower right of page 12 of the PDF in the first line of my sig.
AFAIK, there's no 'teeth' to it, but the language is very plain.

Mlutz

Are they aware that after the law goes into effect, they "legally" can't say/do that? I guess you could show them the bill, and have them reconsider. If the company I work for does not change our policy, I will be getting them a copy of the bill.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
My boss has no issues with CCW in the office or on company property, in fact he is going to be getting a permit. My boss carries all the time at Work. ok.. :) I am my Boss ( self employed ) . lol

BROKENSPROKET

Yes.
See 175.60 (15m) on the lower right of page 12 of the PDF in the first line of my sig.
AFAIK, there's no 'teeth' to it, but the language is very plain.

Not much teeth at all. If someone is discplined or terminated for a company weapons violation that is not legal for them to do, the only recourse is civil litigation for wrongful termination. Something like that.

Teej

Not much teeth at all. If someone is discplined or terminated for a company weapons violation that is not legal for them to do, the only recourse is civil litigation for wrongful termination. Something like that.

I was thinking about that because I have a similar issue with schools I'm taking classes at.

In the case of the school...they couldn't have me arrested for bringing a firearm on campus....but it's still against school policy and they could still expel someone for it. :\

I'll bet (almost) everyone's employer has things in the company rules / "code of conduct" / whatever that may be "legal" but are still forbidden by company policy. Dress codes spring to mind.

Last edited:

LaBomba

Premature Exasperation: Don't let it ruin your good times

Folks, there's not much to get worked up about prior to Nov. 1rst. Even then, you have to really want a fight with your boss to make this an issue.

1. The limitation on employer weapon restrictions applies only to CCP holders.
2. It doesn't take effect until Nov. 1rst.
3. It applies to "weapon" as defined in the bill -- gun, knife, electric, etc.
4. When it does take effect, it says that an employer cannot, as a condition of employment, prohibit a permit holder from wearing or storing a weapon in their own vehicle, even while the vehicle is being used on duty and even while the vehicle is traveling or parked in a designated parking area on the employer's property.

Few employers will change their rules prior to Nov. 1. Even then, many employee policies already contain provisos such as, "enforced in accordance with applicable state and local law." That's especially the case with employers operating in multiple states. They won't bother editing their policies to spell out local exemptions, but will apply the local exemptions when a situation arises involving a potential violation.

An employer isn't under any obligation to spell out the vehicle exemption for you. They are obligated, however, to apply it if you're in trouble for having a weapon in your vehicle and offer the defense of a valid CCP issued by WI or a recognized state.