• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2011 Act 35 (SB93) is now available

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
You'd better get upwind of me....

Remember this next time you vote for Secretary of State. He was the only Democrat state wide officer that kept his job. We will know better next time.
I'm probably pi$$ing in the wind, but I just wrote the following to our Secretary of State:
The Honorable Douglas LaFollette
The Secretary of State
Wisconsin Dear Mr. Secretary,
I am writing to comment on your decision to delay publication of 2011 Wisconsin Act 35. The bill was enacted on 7-8-11 and you have chosen not to publish it until 7-25-11. Respectfully, sir, every day that the bill is delayed is another day that the law-abiding citizens of Wisconsin must endure without an adequate means of self-defense. In my opinion, it is unconscionable that you, as an elected official, are not doing everything within your power to protect the people of our state from the crime and violence perpetrated by a criminal element that carries any weapon it desires in any location they may choose to attack their victims.

Please reconsider your decision to delay this bill. Consider giving it the fast track treatment to help bring it on line as soon as possible; the good people of Wisconsin deserve no less.

Sincerely,

Teej

What's the point? The "delay" in publishing not only figuratively, but literally doesn't matter in any way.

Whether it was published on 7/8 or 7/22 the "effective" date is still 11/1....

More justified would be disapproval of the DOJ. All they have to do is design a simple form and publish it. When they get the applications, run a background check and print a card. The database / data entry work shouldn't take more than half a day. Just need a phone # / some way to check that a permit is valid when needed.

littlewolf

Remember this next time you vote for Secretary of State. He was the only Democrat state wide officer that kept his job. We will know better next time.

We'll see how fast he publishes his Hurt Feelings or resume' or retirement papers when he gets the boot !

Teej

Great idea; why don't you do that? We'll follow up on your lead....

Because it would be an exercise in voiding my bladder in the direction of higher air pressure.

Essentially we're attached to another object by an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axle.

Outdoorsman1

Because it would be an exercise in voiding my bladder in the direction of higher air pressure.

Essentially we're attached to another object by an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axle.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Took me a minute but... I see what you did there..... excellent reference.....

Outdoorsman1

technician

More justified would be disapproval of the DOJ. All they have to do is design a simple form and publish it. When they get the applications, run a background check and print a card. The database / data entry work shouldn't take more than half a day. Just need a phone # / some way to check that a permit is valid when needed.

I can just imagine the bureaucracy involved in this. Half a day wouldn't even get the ball rolling.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
I had an answer from the Secretary of State's office in my in-box at 7:44 this morning, which is way more than I expected....
Dear Mr. --------,

Thank you for your email. Secretary of State Doug La Follette asked that I respond to your inquiry.

Senate Bill 93/Act 35 (relating to: going armed with weapons) was filed with the Office of the Secretary of State on July 11, 2011. Following normal procedure, since there was no emergency situation involved (see information on effective date in the Act below), the Office has designated the publication date for July 22, 2011, thus making the effective date July 23, 2011.

Please see language below from Wisconsin Act 35 for the information on effective date:

“Section 101.Effective dates. This act takes effect on the first day of the 4th month beginning after publication…”

You may also review the full text of Wisconsin Act 35
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/acts/35

Best Regards,

Sharon Rickords
Deputy Secretary of State
Essentially he agreed with Teej that the way the law read the late publication date wouldn't make any difference in the implementation of the law. :cry: I still don't understand why they would delay publication just because they can.... It would probably take a staffer 2 minutes to email the newspaper and arrange it. :question: I guess I'll try to make nice with the DOJ and see if the wind shifts....

apjonas

One Minor Point or Two

I had an answer from the Secretary of State's office in my in-box at 7:44 this morning, which is way more than I expected....Essentially he agreed with Teej that the way the law read the late publication date wouldn't make any difference in the implementation of the law. :cry: I still don't understand why they would delay publication just because they can.... It would probably take a staffer 2 minutes to email the newspaper and arrange it. :question: I guess I'll try to make nice with the DOJ and see if the wind shifts....

While the effective date cited covers most of the law, there are sections that are effective as early as the day after publication. Of course, Uncle Dougie knows this but figures he can B.S. the lowly citizen. So, in fact, an earlier publication date would have made a difference in a few of the effective dates, though probably not the ones most people care about.

The Secretary of State establishes the publication date but it is the Legislative Reference Bureau that actually does the publishing (including online). The only thing the SoS publishes is a notice in the official state newspaper (currently the Wisconsin State Journal) that law itself has been published. Uncle Dougie likes to confuse this point to make him seem more important than he actually is. The traditional practice of naming a publication date earlier or as requested by the governor has gone down the political crapper. This office has long lived past its usefulness. The functions that need to be retained could be absorbed elsewhere.

The more important issue is whether or not the Department of Justice is going to be permitted to change the law by bureaucratic fiat. Now that is something people should be concerned about. Even if you don't care about the CWL issue, it should be bothersome that state law can be blithely ignored. As mentioned before, if DoJ can delay accepting applications until 11/1/2011, they can delay indefinitely. I don't think they can do either.