• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DOJ says no applications until Nov 1

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
It would behoove them to start processing applications before the law takes place to avoid a major back-up. In their defense, they are probably waiting to ensure no legal challenges are brought against the law that might cause an injunction or the like. But still I agree it stinks.

mrjam2jab

It would behoove them to start processing applications before the law takes place to avoid a major back-up. In their defense, they are probably waiting to ensure no legal challenges are brought against the law that might cause an injunction or the like. But still I agree it stinks.

Yep...they could start accepting applications on Oct 1....and then start mailing the permits Nov 1....

oak1971

With all the holidays that state workers get in Nov and Dec, we'll be lucky to see our permits by late January.

Mlutz

December 15 ish would be the latest date to receive your permit. Provided its into the doj on the Nov 1 "start date". Now that that's out of the way.

This is bull, now an out of state license holder will be able to cc legally (on Nov 1), and the Wisconsin residents will have to wait for permission slips. Who is getting screwed on this one? Oh, right, US!

mrjam2jab

Since WI 175.35 specifically defines and uses "working day"....

and since WI 175.60 does not use "working days"...

would it be safe to make the argument that "21 days" "45 days" are calendar days.

Last edited:
M

McX

no one should be bitchin, you'll get it as a stocking stuffer by Chistmas. Happy New Carry Year.

Mlutz

no one should be bitchin, you'll get it as a stocking stuffer by Chistmas. Happy New Carry Year.

So long as its not below freezing before I get it, you got. Deal.
Crap... This means I need a Fobus got the sigma...

M

McX

So long as its not below freezing before I get it, you got. Deal.
Crap... This means I need a Fobus got the sigma...

i'm thinking heated grips, we need to talk to Cleveland's ugly holsters guy, and have him make us Cleveland's ugly gun warmers.

Mlutz

i'm thinking heated grips, we need to talk to Cleveland's ugly holsters guy, and have him make us Cleveland's ugly gun warmers.

Easy mcx, that sounds dangerously close to "concealed"... :p

MKEgal

(I also posted this in the other thread about when can we get permits.)

Hell froze over this morning...
I got a call from my Rep's office in response to an email I sent yesterday objecting to the DOJ (mis)interpretation of the legislature's clear intent.
Since I've been roundly ignored by my Sen. & Rep. for months, this was a shock.

He'd called DOJ & it's VanHollen who's the holdup here! :shocker: :eek: :question: :exclaim:
Good ole JB reads the law to say that he shouldn't make apps available 'til the effective date, never mind why they'd need to be ready 2 months earlier than that... :banghead: :mad: :cuss:

The staffer @ my rep's office is just as perplexed as the rest of us about why JB would throw away those 2 months of processing time, & agrees that the intent of the law is that apps be available to the public 01SEP, & permits issued ASAP after that.

He says that it would take an act of the Legislature to clarify that yes, they meant the apps to be available NLT 01SEP, but they're on summer break until 01SEP themselves. :mad:

The other option is to keep contacting our reps so JB gets lots of phone calls, and contact Sen. Galloway's office, and contact Walker (and maybe JB himself). Perhaps with some prodding from Walker & Galloway JB would come to see the error of his ways.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
over 10 years in the making and 45 (or less) days gets everyones panties in a bunch
It just highlights the pi$$-poor management going on in our government. Instead of taking advantage of the time frame to ramp up the system with a two month cushion to sort out snags, they are going to guarantee that they will be way behind in processing applications right from the git-go.... :banghead: One place where our system of government is broken is that, these people work for us, but we can't give them their two week's notice when poor performance justifies it.

apjonas

This is getting monotonous

There is NOT "AN" effective date for this law. There are several. If you read section 100(2) - which takes effect on the day after publication, the application process starts the very same day. Since DoJ can drag out the "design" for the form and license until 9/1 (they are not required to), let's go with that day. Applications received at that point have a 45 day processing limit - again DoJ is not required to take 45 days and shouldn't unless it is necessary - what does "as soon as practicable and without delay" mean? If the legislature had intended that no applications be processed until Nov 1st, why the heck is this provision in the law? J.B. either took some staffer's word for it or isn't as sharp an attorney as I had though he was. If you are going to write to legislators, JB or anybody else, make sure you point out this provision. Otherwise, they may be like so many posters and not read past "the first day of the 4th month...."

Theoretically, the DoJ could have made applications available on 7/23, accepted them 7/25 (next business day) and mailed the first license the very same day. There is nothing, nada, zilch, zip in the law that prevents this. It is abundantly clear that applications were to be available no later than 9/1, semantic games notwithstanding.

(I also posted this in the other thread about when can we get permits.)

Hell froze over this morning...
I got a call from my Rep's office in response to an email I sent yesterday objecting to the DOJ (mis)interpretation of the legislature's clear intent.
Since I've been roundly ignored by my Sen. & Rep. for months, this was a shock.

He'd called DOJ & it's VanHollen who's the holdup here! :shocker: :eek: :question: :exclaim:
Good ole JB reads the law to say that he shouldn't make apps available 'til the effective date, never mind why they'd need to be ready 2 months earlier than that... :banghead: :mad: :cuss:

The staffer @ my rep's office is just as perplexed as the rest of us about why JB would throw away those 2 months of processing time, & agrees that the intent of the law is that apps be available to the public 01SEP, & permits issued ASAP after that.

He says that it would take an act of the Legislature to clarify that yes, they meant the apps to be available NLT 01SEP, but they're on summer break until 01SEP themselves. :mad:

The other option is to keep contacting our reps so JB gets lots of phone calls, and contact Sen. Galloway's office, and contact Walker (and maybe JB himself). Perhaps with some prodding from Walker & Galloway JB would come to see the error of his ways.