• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DOJ says no applications until Nov 1

logables

It just highlights the pi$$-poor management going on in our government. Instead of taking advantage of the time frame to ramp up the system with a two month cushion to sort out snags, they are going to guarantee that they will be way behind in processing applications right from the git-go.... :banghead: One place where our system of government is broken is that, these people work for us, but we can't give them their two week's notice when poor performance justifies it.

Pure speculation, our Wisconsin government is getting very efficient under Governor Walker. A very good reason is in place for the Nov.1 start. My opinion.

qball54208

Pure speculation, our Wisconsin government is getting very efficient under Governor Walker. A very good reason is in place for the Nov.1 start. My opinion.

Again, more long code for I'm a DOUCHE...IMHO, just sayin'

xenophon

Meh, we've waited this long, what's a few more months. I'm happy just to see it becoming a reality. Could they send app out sooner? Maybe. But come mid December this will all seem silly. And this time next year (July 2012), it will be a distant memory.

markush

Even if you see no other problem with "No permits accepted till NOV. 1st", the fact that other state permit holders will be able to CC before us should be enough to make you realize you're being Sh!t on!

Last edited:

apierce918

Even if you see no other problem with the "No permits accepted till NOV. 1st", the fact that other state permit holders will be able to CC before us should be enough to make you realize you're being Sh!t on!

then take pride knowing that you can conceal in a school zone before others

Teej

Even if you see no other problem with "No permits accepted till NOV. 1st", the fact that other state permit holders will be able to CC before us should be enough to make you realize you're being Sh!t on!

Well, there's really no guarantee of that either. Do you see a date by which the DOJ must promulgate by rule said list of states? I don't.

markush

That makes no sence...out of stater's can carry for up to 45 days before I can but...haha, I have the last laugh because after that 45 days I can carry in a school zone??? UM...OK

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
I don't see any reason at all why they cannot accept applications immediately after the design finalization, do the background investigation and issue licenses with an effective date as of Nov. 1. Sniff, sniff... I think that smell is Madison based LRB anti-gun attorneys telling DOJ what to do.

Last edited:

Tom Maassen

Loose interpretation of Logables: "Blah blah blah, I just post random things to get a reaction. I really don't have an opinion one way or the other. Blah blah blah"

That was the English interpretation. Might mean something different in another language, but I'm not fluent enough to make sure.......

oak1971

My opinion, its BS that we need to wait one minute more. Douchebagables opinion should be kept to itself, also my opinion.

mrjam2jab

Assuming one of the permits i have...being a PA resident...will be honored in WI...according to Act 35 that permit will allow me to carry in a school zone as of Nov 1.

(d) For purposes of 18 USC 922 (q) (2) (B) (ii), an
out−of−state licensee is licensed by this state.

safcrkr

I just sent an e-mail to Van Hollen's office asking why the delay, when the law clearly states application & permit designs are to be completed by no later than Sept 1st. If they were not intended to be released to the public, and applying and processing were not to begin until Nov. 1st, then why on Earth did the Legislature demand the apps & permits be designed 2 full months prior to when needed? This makes no sense.

I also reminded them that in the last election, I made a donation to Mr. Van Hollen's campaign, I put a bumper sticker on all my vehicles, and a sign in my front yard. I intend to do so again... but if I must wait until the last day possible under the bill to apply for a permit to carry... I'll send in my donation, put on my bumper sticker, and put up my yard sign on the last day possible too... on election day.

Teej

I just sent an e-mail to Van Hollen's office asking why the delay, when the law clearly states application & permit designs are to be completed by no later than Sept 1st. If they were not intended to be released to the public, and applying and processing were not to begin until Nov. 1st, then why on Earth did the Legislature demand the apps & permits be designed 2 full months prior to when needed? This makes no sense.

I also reminded them that in the last election, I made a donation to Mr. Van Hollen's campaign, I put a bumper sticker on all my vehicles, and a sign in my front yard. I intend to do so again... but if I must wait until the last day possible under the bill to apply for a permit to carry... I'll send in my donation, put on my bumper sticker, and put up my yard sign on the last day possible too... on election day.

Much as I hate to say it...

As Paul posted in http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...b-Site-Watch&p=1574823&viewfull=1#post1574823

the law instructing the DOJ to perform background checks and process permits doesn't take effect until 11/1. They don't have the authority to process them before that.

Last edited:

apjonas

As Much As I Have No Problem Saying It

Much as I hate to say it...

As Paul posted in http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...b-Site-Watch&p=1574823&viewfull=1#post1574823

the law instructing the DOJ to perform background checks and process permits doesn't take effect until 11/1. They don't have the authority to process them before that.

You (and Paul) are simply wrong.

SECTION 100 Nonstatutory provisions.

(1) Using the procedure under section 227.24 of the statutes, the department of justice shall promulgate rules required under section 165.25 (12) of the statutes, as
created by this act, for the period before the effective date of the permanent rules promulgated under those sections, but not to exceed the period authorized under section 227.24 (1) (c) and (2) of the statutes. Notwithstanding section 227.24 (1) (a), (2) (b), and (3) of the statutes, the department is not required to provide evidence that promulgating a rule under this subsection as an emergency rule is necessary for the preservation of public peace, health, safety, or welfare and is not required to provide a finding of an emergency for a rule promulgated underthis subsection.

(2) Notwithstanding section 175.60 (9) (b) of the statutes, as created by this act, beginning on the effective date of this subsection and ending on the first day of the 5th month beginning after the effective date of this subsection, the department of justice shall, as soon as practicable and without delay, but no longer than 45 days, after receiving a complete application under section 175.60 (7) of the statutes, as created by this act, for a license to carry a concealed weapon, do one of the following:

(a) Issue the license and promptly send the licensee his or her license document by 1st class mail.
(b) Deny the application, but only if section 175.60 (3) (a), (b), (c), (d), (e), (f), or (g) of the statutes, as created by this act, applies to the applicant. If the department denies the application, the department shall inform the applicant in writing, stating the reason and factual basis for the denial.

SECTION 101 Effective dates. This act takes effect on the first day of the 4th month beginning after publication, except as follows:
(1) The treatment of sections 66.0409 (6), 165.25 (12), 175.49 (4), 175.60 (2m) and (5), and 947.01 (2) of the statutes and SECTION 100 (1) and (2) of this act take effect on the day after publication.
(2c) The treatment of section 20.455 (2) (gs) of the statutes and SECTION 100h of this act take effect on July 1, 2011.

It should be noted that Wis. Stat. 175.60(7) states the application must be IN the form described in Wis. Stat. 175.60(5a) not ON the form designed by DoJ. There is no reason that a person could not submit the required information, documentation and fee next Monday to DoJ. They would need to issue or deny by September 8th. If they didn't or returned the application, the applicant could request a writ of mandamus from the appropriate court.

BROKENSPROKET

I don't see any reason at all why they cannot accept applications immediately after the design finalization, do the background investigation and issue licenses with an effective date as of Nov. 1. Sniff, sniff... I think that smell is Madison based LRB anti-gun attorneys telling DOJ what to do.
May I ask what you do or have done for a living? You may not see a reason, because you cannot comprehend what it would take get this system set up.