• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheboygan DA blasts limited database, WI Carry says I don't think so

DangerClose

I was going to tack this onto some other thread, but then I noticed the Nik Clark Wisconsin Carry part.
http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/125539018.html

DeCecco said. "It doesn't compromise the right to carry concealed. I think cops should have the right to know everything they can possibly know."

Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. accused DeCecco of politicizing the issue. He agreed permit information would be a bonus, but he said even if it were available and connected to license plate information, it shouldn't change the way a good police officer operates.
"Nothing about this law changes the way an experienced street police officer is trained to approach any car during a traffic stop."

Nik Clark, chairman and president of Wisconsin Carry Inc., said permit information wouldn't help when officers respond to incidents involving criminals who own guns illegally because they wouldn't be listed.

"A lot of criminals carry weapons but don't have a permit anyway," he said. "It sounds like a problem that doesn't exist."

Jason in WI

Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. accused DeCecco of politicizing the issue. He agreed permit information would be a bonus, but he said even if it were available and connected to license plate information, it shouldn't change the way a good police officer operates.

"The debate's over," he said. "Everybody just exhale. Forty-eight other states have this. They haven't experienced all this hysteria and fear-mongering, and life went on in those states. We'll be fine."

I just had to quote that again! The liberals must hate Sheriff Clarke, using all that crazy logic and common sense stuff!

cheezhed

I live in Sheboygan and this man is an embarrassment to everyone that lives in this city. He once said he would not
pursue charges against legal open carry then he tried to nail some guy in Sheboygan Falls who was clearly in the right.
He is simply one of the most stupid people that we have in office and needs to be removed.

XDFDE45

I read that yesterday and I love how he trots out the old "extreme views and paranoia of the NRA and gun rights groups". And once again Sheriff Clarke calls it the right way. I think I'm starting to develop a man crush on him
inlove.gif

Carcharodon

I don't think the police need to know if you're carrying either. It seems to me if they did, they would be a lot jumpier. Example: you get stopped at night, Cop runs your plates, sees you are a licensee. As he approaches you, you reach for your wallet, insurance, ringing phone, etc. Cop draws on you perceiving a threat. I don't want anyone pointing a gun at me, especially a nervous officer out on his own. I know this wouldn't happen every time, but once could be more than enough if he puts his finger in the trigger guard.