Thread: Ridiculous timeline, Kent County Gun Board CPL Renewal

Ridiculous timeline, Kent County Gun Board CPL Renewal

I submitted my CPL renewal on May 3, 2011; CPL expired July 12. Still waiting... 72 days and counting....
    Called the clerk's office and they said that the "clearance" still hasn't come back from the Sheriff's Department.

My opinion: this is why Kent County has the lowest per-capita CPL possession rate in the state (1.8%) What a freakin' hassle!
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

That is ridiculous. Do the laws in Michigan set a time limit during which the CPL must be issued or denied?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    That is ridiculous. Do the laws in Michigan set a time limit during which the CPL must be issued or denied?
    Yep, 60 days for a renewal. Luckily, I can still carry concealed because I have a receipt showing I renewed it before the 60 days necessary... my permit has now been extended 180 days. However, I need to carry a copy of my receipt with me.

28.425l License; validity; duration; renewal; waiver of educational requirements; fingerprints.

<snip>
    (4) If the concealed weapon licensing board fails to deny or issue a renewal license to the person within 60
    days as required under subsection (3), the expiration date of the current license is extended by 180 days or
    until the renewal license is issued, whichever occurs first. This subsection does not apply unless the person
    pays the renewal fee at the time the renewal application is submitted and the person has submitted a receipt
    from a police agency that confirms that a background check has been requested by the applicant.
    (5) A person carrying a concealed pistol after the expiration date of his or her license pursuant to an
    extension under subsection (4) shall keep the receipt issued by the county clerk under subsection (3) and his
    or her expired license in his or her possession at all times that he or she is carrying the pistol. For the purposes
    of this act, the receipt is considered to be part of the license to carry a concealed pistol until a renewal license
    is issued or denied. Failing to have the receipt and expired license in possession while carrying a concealed
    pistol or failing to display the receipt to a peace officer upon request is a violation of this act.

<snip>
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

It's total garbage, DrTodd. To get my CPL took about 3-4 months (Kent County). By that time I called the County Clerk and explained the situation to someone there who decided to sign the license that day for me, rather than have me wait another couple of weeks (FOR A SIGNATURE!).

That's idiotic. All for a signature?
    For my original I had to go before the board, as did everyone else; the whole process only took 2 months total...INCLUDING the board meeting. Why a renewal should take longer is beyond me.