• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ridiculous timeline, Kent County Gun Board CPL Renewal

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I submitted my CPL renewal on May 3, 2011; CPL expired July 12. Still waiting... 72 days and counting....
Called the clerk's office and they said that the "clearance" still hasn't come back from the Sheriff's Department.

My opinion: this is why Kent County has the lowest per-capita CPL possession rate in the state (1.8%) What a freakin' hassle!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
That is ridiculous. Do the laws in Michigan set a time limit during which the CPL must be issued or denied?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
That is ridiculous. Do the laws in Michigan set a time limit during which the CPL must be issued or denied?

Yep, 60 days for a renewal. Luckily, I can still carry concealed because I have a receipt showing I renewed it before the 60 days necessary... my permit has now been extended 180 days. However, I need to carry a copy of my receipt with me.

28.425l License; validity; duration; renewal; waiver of educational requirements; fingerprints.

<snip>
(4) If the concealed weapon licensing board fails to deny or issue a renewal license to the person within 60
days as required under subsection (3), the expiration date of the current license is extended by 180 days or
until the renewal license is issued, whichever occurs first. This subsection does not apply unless the person
pays the renewal fee at the time the renewal application is submitted and the person has submitted a receipt
from a police agency that confirms that a background check has been requested by the applicant.
(5) A person carrying a concealed pistol after the expiration date of his or her license pursuant to an
extension under subsection (4) shall keep the receipt issued by the county clerk under subsection (3) and his
or her expired license in his or her possession at all times that he or she is carrying the pistol. For the purposes
of this act, the receipt is considered to be part of the license to carry a concealed pistol until a renewal license
is issued or denied. Failing to have the receipt and expired license in possession while carrying a concealed
pistol or failing to display the receipt to a peace officer upon request is a violation of this act.

<snip>

FerretMI

It's total garbage, DrTodd. To get my CPL took about 3-4 months (Kent County). By that time I called the County Clerk and explained the situation to someone there who decided to sign the license that day for me, rather than have me wait another couple of weeks (FOR A SIGNATURE!).

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
That's idiotic. All for a signature?
For my original I had to go before the board, as did everyone else; the whole process only took 2 months total...INCLUDING the board meeting. Why a renewal should take longer is beyond me.