Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: NO OPEN CARRY ON WMAs? (Wildlife Management Area)

  1. #1
    Regular Member justin0829's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    Posts
    19

    NO OPEN CARRY ON WMAs? (Wildlife Management Area)

    I was reading the State WMA regulations and it states that a loaded firearm in your vehicle outside of a hunting season is prohibited. Does anyone have any information or clarity to provide on this? It does say that concealed carry with a CHP is permitted at any time. Interestingly enough also was that I participated in the clean up at Ragged Island some months back and everyone was open carrying, so I'm assuming that "something" was in season at the time? Also, (I know this forum isn't exactly for this) can anyone help me out with finding a hunting lease or club with in an hour or so of the Hampton Roads area? I live in Newport News and so far the only option I can find is a club west of Emporia for $650 a year or Chickahominy (which I would rather avoid due to the fact that public land is usually full of inconsiderate people). I grew up hunting in GA and now work at Langley AFB with the VA Air National Guard. I also know you can hunt bases, however I would rather not deal with the headache. I would love to find either a club or get permission from a land owner, but not being from VA I would have no idea where to even start a search of this kind..... needless to say, I am very frustrated at this point
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771
    Is this what you read?

    4VAC15-270-60

    4VAC15-270-60. Use of firearms loaded with slugs and discharge of firearms near boardwalk or nature trail on Ragged Island Wildlife Management Area.

    A. It shall be unlawful to possess outside of a vehicle, or shoot or hunt with a rifle, muzzleloader, pistol or shotgun loaded with slugs, or to possess shotgun slugs, on Ragged Island Wildlife Management Area in Isle of Wight County. In addition, it shall be unlawful to discharge any firearm within 100 yards of the boardwalk or nature trail on Ragged Island Wildlife Management Area.

    B. The provisions of this section shall not prohibit the possession, transport and use of loaded firearms by employees of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries while engaged in the performance of their duties, nor shall it prohibit the possession and transport of loaded concealed handguns where the individual possesses a concealed handgun permit as defined in § 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia.

    Statutory Authority

    §§ 29.1-501 and 29.1-502 of the Code of Virginia.

    Historical Notes

    Derived from VR325-02-25 § 6, eff. July 1, 1985; amended, Virginia Register Volume 15, Issue 19, eff. July 7, 1999.

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,438
    Unfortunately, the hunt clubs are going to have most of the large parcels tied up. Tidewater isn't exactly rural. Plus you're going to have to put up with those damn dog hunters and I use the word "Hunter" in the same way I use "Va" in Northern Va.

    Your best bet is find a few small property owners that border on larger tracts. Lots of farmers hate hunt clubs but will let one or two individuals hunt if they promise to run the dog hunters off.

    Welcome to the burbs!

  4. #4
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,812
    Yes when we cleaned up Ragged Island it was a week or so still in season (for something) so we could OC.

    I believe that WMA are on the list of places we would like to bring in line with other areas that simply follow state law rather than have their own rules.

    I had a conversation with TCMECH once where he offered to take me hunting but his idea of a day trip was a bit much for me. He hunts about 6 hours south of here (one-way) so I wimped out quickly. Some of my friends hunt 3-4 hours west of here, so go west young man! :-)
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum: I think, therefore I am armed."

  5. #5
    Regular Member ODA 226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Etzenricht, Germany
    Posts
    1,600
    OC is only allowed during hunting season. It is MOSTLY forbidden on Hog Island WMA and CC there is forbidden.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

  6. #6
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,574

    Justin, send me a pm......

    ...with some info about you and the type of hunting you are used to. Meat or trophy? Bow, rifle, or shotgun? Tree stand capable?

    I may be able to get you onto some property within an hour or so of you.

  7. #7
    Regular Member The Wolfhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henrico, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    634

    Working on WMAs

    I know I have read the VCDL is working on carry in the WMAs. I mentioned it to Tucker Martin (Director of Communications for Governor McDonell) last time I saw him, as I thanked him for the Governor correcting the issue in State Forests. Until it is "anytime, anywhere" the struggle continues......

  8. #8
    Regular Member justin0829's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Is this what you read?

    4VAC15-270-60
    I read the full state regulation PDF on the Game and Inland fisheries site. It didn't have anything specific to each WMA it just had rules that apply to all of them. So I am assuming based on some of the responses on here that each WMA could possibly have more gun regulations than the required state standard....
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”

  9. #9
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,438
    Quote Originally Posted by justin0829 View Post
    I read the full state regulation PDF on the Game and Inland fisheries site. It didn't have anything specific to each WMA it just had rules that apply to all of them. So I am assuming based on some of the responses on here that each WMA could possibly have more gun regulations than the required state standard....
    Only as far as hunting Justin.
    For instance, you can't hunt with rifles in some counties.

    Just carrying remains the same. You may carry during hunting season even if you're not hunting.
    Last edited by peter nap; 07-17-2011 at 10:57 AM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member justin0829's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    Posts
    19

    Here is the WMA part in the state regs.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Is this what you read?

    4VAC15-270-60
    http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...s/wmarules.pdf
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”

  11. #11
    Regular Member doug23838's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    338
    Justin:

    It is a long shot, but you may find hunt clubs on craigslist posting membership openings. As with anything on the internet or more especially craigslist, you should protect yourself and your interests. When my hunt club gave me a roster of everybody's name & number, I made sure nobody was on any "registry".



    As for WMAs. I've OC'd at Amelia WMA and even had a non-consensual encouter with a game warden. (Ahem.. Conservation Officer). I discovered through our conversation that he had every page of the DGIF website printed off and in a binder in his truck. He never said a word about my handgun.

  12. #12
    Regular Member justin0829's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by doug23838 View Post
    Justin:

    It is a long shot, but you may find hunt clubs on craigslist posting membership openings. As with anything on the internet or more especially craigslist, you should protect yourself and your interests. When my hunt club gave me a roster of everybody's name & number, I made sure nobody was on any "registry".



    As for WMAs. I've OC'd at Amelia WMA and even had a non-consensual encouter with a game warden. (Ahem.. Conservation Officer). I discovered through our conversation that he had every page of the DGIF website printed off and in a binder in his truck. He never said a word about my handgun.
    Based on the "Firearms" section, I'm assuming there must have been something in season you could have legally taken with your handgun or the "Conservation Officer" didn't notice or care about the handgun. The whole thing just seemed odd to me being that we just recently got "State Parks" taken care of, especially being that WMAs as far as I knew were managed by the state and the fact that they are specifically for hunting doesn't seem to make sense to restrict firearms carry whether there is or is not a hunting season in progress....
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”

  13. #13
    Regular Member virginiatuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    788
    Perhaps this is relevant to this thread:

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...and-Cemeteries

    I can't attest to the legal thoroughness, but one thing that this post makes clear is that there's a huge mess of administrative code dealing with firearms regulations that are well beyond the comprehension of any common man.

  14. #14
    Regular Member 230therapy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    People's County of Fairfax
    Posts
    276
    Plus you're going to have to put up with those damn dog hunters and I use the word "Hunter" in the same way I use "Va" in Northern Va.
    Tell me you didn't just say that.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

  15. #15
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,438
    Quote Originally Posted by 230therapy View Post
    Tell me you didn't just say that.
    It's the diplomat in me

  16. #16
    Regular Member justin0829's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by 230therapy View Post
    Tell me you didn't just say that.
    Funny you say that. I have noticed that a lot of people here refer to northern VA as if going there would be similar to traveling to an entirely different planet. The furthest I've been is about 30 min north of Richmond....
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”

  17. #17
    Regular Member justin0829's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Unfortunately, the hunt clubs are going to have most of the large parcels tied up. Tidewater isn't exactly rural. Plus you're going to have to put up with those damn dog hunters and I use the word "Hunter" in the same way I use "Va" in Northern Va.

    Your best bet is find a few small property owners that border on larger tracts. Lots of farmers hate hunt clubs but will let one or two individuals hunt if they promise to run the dog hunters off.

    Welcome to the burbs!
    Thanks. Yea I never even heard of or knew anyone that heard of anyone that hunted with dogs the way they do around here in GA. As a matter of fact, as bad as it sounds, I knew several people that would shoot dogs if they saw them roaming around hunting property when they were hunting... Although, some of the areas I hunted had ferral dog issues, you would have people that would turn loose young dogs and puppies and it wouldn't take too long and they would be wild. My father and I actually found a ferral puppy when we were hunting and brought him home. I have to say that dog was by far the weirdest dog we ever had, he was good but you could tell he was a little crazy
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”

  18. #18
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,438
    Quote Originally Posted by justin0829 View Post
    Thanks. Yea I never even heard of or knew anyone that heard of anyone that sat in their trucks on the road while their dogs ran through someone else s property the way they do around here in GA.

    Fixed it for you!

    As a matter of fact, as bad as it sounds, I knew several people that would shoot dogs if they saw them roaming around hunting property when they were hunting...

    No Comment!
    .....

  19. #19
    Regular Member 230therapy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    People's County of Fairfax
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    It's the diplomat in me
    LOL

    I'll make sure at least 10 beagles keep running by your treestand while you're 'hunting while seated'.

    BTW, my dog doesn't go out of bounds because I zap the **** out of him if he doesn't obey immediately. I don't let him run so far either.
    Last edited by 230therapy; 07-19-2011 at 02:44 PM.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

  20. #20
    Regular Member 230therapy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    People's County of Fairfax
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by justin0829 View Post
    Funny you say that. I have noticed that a lot of people here refer to northern VA as if going there would be similar to traveling to an entirely different planet. The furthest I've been is about 30 min north of Richmond....
    NOVA isn't that bad. Sure it's full of libtards and granolas, but the few sane people carry guns around and school the cops in proper citizen interaction
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    8
    Hunting season is everyday except on Sundays in VA, unless you chase foxes than Sundays are in as well. Coyotes are open for hunting all year. So I am not sure what is meant by only during hunting season.

  22. #22
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,438
    Quote Originally Posted by 230therapy View Post
    LOL

    I'll make sure at least 10 beagles keep running by your treestand while you're 'hunting while seated'.
    I really doubt that therapy. Dog hunting is a tradition in eastern and southern Va. Only 20% of the hunters are slobs, but they're the ones destroying it for all of you.

    Eventually the landowners will succeed in either outlawing it outright or making it so expensive very few can do it anymore.

    It's a shame because all it takes is for the dog hunters to police their own sport.

  23. #23
    Regular Member justin0829's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Thanks. Yea I never even heard of or knew anyone that heard of anyone that sat in their trucks on the road while their dogs ran through someone else s property the way they do around here in GA.

    Fixed it for you!

    As a matter of fact, as bad as it sounds, I knew several people that would shoot dogs if they saw them roaming around hunting property when they were hunting...

    No Comment!
    So I take it you don't like "dog hunting" for deer then? Its a shame, think of all the fun you could be having... Ha ha ha By the way I appreciate all the info provided on here. One other thing I noticed when looking through the locality specific regulations is that some areas flat out prohibit loaded rifles and shotguns in the vehicle what so ever on public roads. The part of the regs I am referring to is specifically pages 21 - 23.

    :54. It is unlawful to transport, possess, or carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in any vehicle on any public street, road or highway.

    The cities or counties included on this list are: Surry, Albemarle, Chesterfield, Clarke, Culpepper, Danville, Fauquier, Fredricksburg, James City, King George, Loudoun, Madison, New Kent, Northumberland, Petersburg, Richmond (city), Roanoke, Stafford, Virginia Beach, Warren, and Williamsburg.

    I understand the rules of this forum is its not to be used in arguement of long rifle open carry and maybe this is more of a VCDL specific topic, however, I thought that in VA we already had that covered? To my knowledge there was a limit on the magazine unless a CHP holder but nothing else otherwise? Understandably the state can have different laws because there is not any preemption of it self, so to speak, really. But doesn't the state having preemption over local governments mean these localities have invalid laws? Or am I completely off base with this? I would appreciate some light shedding on this issue. I asked my friend mpg9999 who has been very involved in things as far as gun rights in this state for some time now but he didn't really have an answer for me......
    Last edited by justin0829; 07-20-2011 at 02:48 PM.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”

  24. #24
    Regular Member 230therapy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    People's County of Fairfax
    Posts
    276
    It's a shame because all it takes is for the dog hunters to police their own sport.
    I tend to ignore other beaglers. Too many unfriendly wankers (at least the ones I have run into). I just do my own thing and make sure my dog never leaves the designated area. I also never hunt during deer season on property that has deer hunters.
    Last edited by 230therapy; 07-28-2011 at 12:18 AM.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    952
    Has anyone been hunting at the Thompson WMA in Fauquier County? I'm thinking about hunting geese on the lake there in September. I'm just wondering how many other people are going to try and hunt there as well. I was just looking at the lake on Google Maps and it doesn't look like it's that big.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •