• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NO OPEN CARRY ON WMAs? (Wildlife Management Area)

Ranger

Hunting season is everyday except on Sundays in VA, unless you chase foxes than Sundays are in as well. Coyotes are open for hunting all year. So I am not sure what is meant by only during hunting season.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
LOL

I'll make sure at least 10 beagles keep running by your treestand while you're 'hunting while seated'.

I really doubt that therapy. Dog hunting is a tradition in eastern and southern Va. Only 20% of the hunters are slobs, but they're the ones destroying it for all of you.

Eventually the landowners will succeed in either outlawing it outright or making it so expensive very few can do it anymore.

It's a shame because all it takes is for the dog hunters to police their own sport.

justin0829

Thanks. Yea I never even heard of or knew anyone that heard of anyone that sat in their trucks on the road while their dogs ran through someone else s property the way they do around here in GA.

Fixed it for you!

As a matter of fact, as bad as it sounds, I knew several people that would shoot dogs if they saw them roaming around hunting property when they were hunting...

No Comment!

So I take it you don't like "dog hunting" for deer then? Its a shame, think of all the fun you could be having... Ha ha ha:lol: By the way I appreciate all the info provided on here. One other thing I noticed when looking through the locality specific regulations is that some areas flat out prohibit loaded rifles and shotguns in the vehicle what so ever on public roads. The part of the regs I am referring to is specifically pages 21 - 23.

:54. It is unlawful to transport, possess, or carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in any vehicle on any public street, road or highway.

The cities or counties included on this list are: Surry, Albemarle, Chesterfield, Clarke, Culpepper, Danville, Fauquier, Fredricksburg, James City, King George, Loudoun, Madison, New Kent, Northumberland, Petersburg, Richmond (city), Roanoke, Stafford, Virginia Beach, Warren, and Williamsburg.

I understand the rules of this forum is its not to be used in arguement of long rifle open carry and maybe this is more of a VCDL specific topic, however, I thought that in VA we already had that covered? To my knowledge there was a limit on the magazine unless a CHP holder but nothing else otherwise? Understandably the state can have different laws because there is not any preemption of it self, so to speak, really. But doesn't the state having preemption over local governments mean these localities have invalid laws? Or am I completely off base with this? I would appreciate some light shedding on this issue. I asked my friend mpg9999 who has been very involved in things as far as gun rights in this state for some time now but he didn't really have an answer for me......

Last edited:

230therapy

It's a shame because all it takes is for the dog hunters to police their own sport.

I tend to ignore other beaglers. Too many unfriendly wankers (at least the ones I have run into). I just do my own thing and make sure my dog never leaves the designated area. I also never hunt during deer season on property that has deer hunters.

Last edited:

hunter45

Has anyone been hunting at the Thompson WMA in Fauquier County? I'm thinking about hunting geese on the lake there in September. I'm just wondering how many other people are going to try and hunt there as well. I was just looking at the lake on Google Maps and it doesn't look like it's that big.

meo

Hunter
That lake is not much more than a big pond and was drained last year because the dam was leaking. Don't know if they have fixed it or not.
On a brighter note that place is polluted with tree rats.
Ray

hunter45

Hunter
That lake is not much more than a big pond and was drained last year because the dam was leaking. Don't know if they have fixed it or not.
On a brighter note that place is polluted with tree rats.
Ray

Well that sucks. I'll go check it out sometime over the next few weeks. Have you ever seen people hunting waterfowl there before?