Thread: Traveling through IA

Traveling through IA

Trying to research IA law prior to my trip through the state. I found the following section of law:

724.4A Weapons free zones—enhanced penalties.
    1. As used in this section, "weapons free zone" means the area in or on, or within one thousand feet of, the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or in or on the real property comprising a public park. A weapons free zone shall not include that portion of a public park designated as a hunting area under section 461A.42.
    2. Notwithstanding sections 902.9 and 903.1, a person who commits a public offense involving a firearm or offensive weapon, within a weapons free zone, in violation of this or any other chapter shall be subject to a fine of twice the maximum amount which may otherwise be imposed for the public offense.
    94 Acts, ch 1172, §53

What is defined as a public park? Is a rest area on the interstate one? Is carrying in a park really prohibited even with a permit that is recognized in IA?
    Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    Trying to research IA law prior to my trip through the state. I found the following section of law:

724.4A Weapons free zones—enhanced penalties.
    1. As used in this section, "weapons free zone" means the area in or on, or within one thousand feet of, the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or in or on the real property comprising a public park. A weapons free zone shall not include that portion of a public park designated as a hunting area under section 461A.42.
    2. Notwithstanding sections 902.9 and 903.1, a person who commits a public offense involving a firearm or offensive weapon, within a weapons free zone, in violation of this or any other chapter shall be subject to a fine of twice the maximum amount which may otherwise be imposed for the public offense.
    94 Acts, ch 1172, §53

What is defined as a public park? Is a rest area on the interstate one? Is carrying in a park really prohibited even with a permit that is recognized in IA?
    Carrying in a park with a permit is fine. This section merely "enhances" the penalty if you commit a crime in these...school, park...zones.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Carrying in a park with a permit is fine. This section merely "enhances" the penalty if you commit a crime in these...school, park...zones.
    Thanks....I figured I was reading something wrong because of the general lack of "gun free zones" it made no sense to my why a park would be the exception.
    Rand Paul 2016

Yooper, Handgunlaw.us shows IA recognizes MI permits,

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    IA recognizes everybody's permit. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    I did know that. I try to keep myself updated on the laws of the states that I travel through, and this was one section of law that caught my attention, however, I had mis-read it. It'll be nice being able to carry in IA, finally. Last time I went through, in 09, i think the law was passed, but not yet in effect. Next summer, once WI's new law takes effect, I'll be able to carry from MI to CO, where my wifes family resides, w/o having to unload.
    Rand Paul 2016

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    I did know that. I try to keep myself updated on the laws of the states that I travel through, and this was one section of law that caught my attention, however, I had mis-read it. It'll be nice being able to carry in IA, finally. Last time I went through, in 09, i think the law was passed, but not yet in effect. Next summer, once WI's new law takes effect, I'll be able to carry from MI to CO, where my wifes family resides, w/o having to unload.
    Actually,in case you wanted to know, it wasn't signed until May of last year(2010) and went into effect on January 1st this year(2011)