• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling through IA

Yooper

Trying to research IA law prior to my trip through the state. I found the following section of law:

724.4A Weapons free zones—enhanced penalties.
1. As used in this section, "weapons free zone" means the area in or on, or within one thousand feet of, the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or in or on the real property comprising a public park. A weapons free zone shall not include that portion of a public park designated as a hunting area under section 461A.42.
2. Notwithstanding sections 902.9 and 903.1, a person who commits a public offense involving a firearm or offensive weapon, within a weapons free zone, in violation of this or any other chapter shall be subject to a fine of twice the maximum amount which may otherwise be imposed for the public offense.
94 Acts, ch 1172, §53

What is defined as a public park? Is a rest area on the interstate one? Is carrying in a park really prohibited even with a permit that is recognized in IA?

mrjam2jab

Trying to research IA law prior to my trip through the state. I found the following section of law:

724.4A Weapons free zones—enhanced penalties.
1. As used in this section, "weapons free zone" means the area in or on, or within one thousand feet of, the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or in or on the real property comprising a public park. A weapons free zone shall not include that portion of a public park designated as a hunting area under section 461A.42.
2. Notwithstanding sections 902.9 and 903.1, a person who commits a public offense involving a firearm or offensive weapon, within a weapons free zone, in violation of this or any other chapter shall be subject to a fine of twice the maximum amount which may otherwise be imposed for the public offense.
94 Acts, ch 1172, §53

What is defined as a public park? Is a rest area on the interstate one? Is carrying in a park really prohibited even with a permit that is recognized in IA?

Carrying in a park with a permit is fine. This section merely "enhances" the penalty if you commit a crime in these...school, park...zones.

Yooper

Carrying in a park with a permit is fine. This section merely "enhances" the penalty if you commit a crime in these...school, park...zones.

Thanks....I figured I was reading something wrong because of the general lack of "gun free zones" it made no sense to my why a park would be the exception.

Yooper

Yooper, Handgunlaw.us shows IA recognizes MI permits,

I did know that. I try to keep myself updated on the laws of the states that I travel through, and this was one section of law that caught my attention, however, I had mis-read it. It'll be nice being able to carry in IA, finally. Last time I went through, in 09, i think the law was passed, but not yet in effect. Next summer, once WI's new law takes effect, I'll be able to carry from MI to CO, where my wifes family resides, w/o having to unload.

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
I did know that. I try to keep myself updated on the laws of the states that I travel through, and this was one section of law that caught my attention, however, I had mis-read it. It'll be nice being able to carry in IA, finally. Last time I went through, in 09, i think the law was passed, but not yet in effect. Next summer, once WI's new law takes effect, I'll be able to carry from MI to CO, where my wifes family resides, w/o having to unload.

Actually,in case you wanted to know, it wasn't signed until May of last year(2010) and went into effect on January 1st this year(2011)